Air Fryer

glutes

1 hour ago, Luv2play said:

The article doesn't tell much or anything about how the appliance actually works. It's just a gushing promo featuring the end results of food cooked that way. 

I am sure grandma Ellie wouldnt approve. Her advice for fried chicken and sun burnt chicken legs (in my case) was always the same: put some Crisco on it!  😆

been using airfryers for a few years now....went through 2 cuisinarts but have switched to Ninjas.  I haven't used my outdoor grill in over 3 yeaars.   Just a little spay of olive or canola oil on chicken with some pepper and paprika and ir comes out so crispy on outside and juicy on inside.  No need for flour or bread crumb coatings.  Pork chops and steaks also come out seared and juicy.

• + glutes changed the title to air fryer, anyone try one?

Those suckers get HOT and use a full circuit of electricity. Beware.

I had the top-rated Cuisinart and it melted it's own plastic knobs and then blew it's internal circuit breaker which can't be reset or replaced per Cuisinart and it was past warranty.

Replaced with a Breville convection toaster oven. If I'm starting a housefire I'd rather it be from my outdoor grill. 

Edited by tassojunior

14 minutes ago, Billsboy4 said:

I have both the Ninja Foodie and InstaPot air fryer.  Both work well and are well worth it.  Making a whole chicken in the InstaPot comes out juicy and the skin is crisp.

Seems to be a dizzying number of options out there. And quite expensive too. 
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-air-fryer/amp/

They also sound like a hassle to clean. 

Edited by FrankR

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

The Times recommends a toaster oven above an air fryer.

An air fryer is basically a convection oven with the heat fan on top instead of on a side. I went with their Breville convection oven suggestion and like how well built it is. My Cuisinart air fryer was not and it's astounding how cheaply build many ovens of all sort are. 

Edited by tassojunior

21 hours ago, glutes said:

air fryer, anyone try one?

20 hours ago, big-n-tall said:

I got one of those Emeril air fryers. I’ve only made a few things with it but I’m impressed. My favorite things so far where chicken tenders and tilapia. Instead of using breading I used ground up pork rinds. Keeping keto. Lol! They were amazing.

19 hours ago, maninsoma said:

Since I bought a Cuisinart combo air fryer/convection oven 3 years ago, it's been my most used kitchen appliance. 

12 hours ago, Luv2play said:

The article doesn't tell much or anything about how the appliance actually works. It's just a gushing promo featuring the end results of food cooked that way. 

11 hours ago, FrankR said:

Seems to be a dizzying number of options out there. And quite expensive too. 
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-air-fryer/amp/

They also sound like a hassle to clean. 

I am sure grandma Ellie wouldnt approve. Her advice for fried chicken and sun burnt chicken legs (in my case) was always the same: put some Crisco on it!  😆

8 hours ago, Rudynate said:

I don't have an air fryer, but I have an adapter that turns an instant pot into an air fryer.  Not very impressed.  It does a decent job with frozen french fries, but nothing else I have tried has turned out well.  I guess if I want the results that everyone raves about, I need to pony up for a real air fryer.

7 hours ago, Billsboy4 said:

I have both the Ninja Foodie and InstaPot air fryer.  Both work well and are well worth it.  Making a whole chicken in the InstaPot comes out juicy and the skin is crisp.

7 hours ago, MiamiLooker said:

I’ve had a two-basket Ninja for a couple of years and use it almost daily. It’s great for chicken wings.

7 hours ago, caramelsub said:

I bought my ninja air fryer a year ago. They are great.

3 hours ago, LIguy said:

been using airfryers for a few years now....went through 2 cuisinarts but have switched to Ninjas.  I haven't used my outdoor grill in over 3 yeaars.   Just a little spay of olive or canola oil on chicken with some pepper and paprika and ir comes out so crispy on outside and juicy on inside.  No need for flour or bread crumb coatings.  Pork chops and steaks also come out seared and juicy.

THE cuisinarts are difficult to clean but the Ninja's are awesome especially the Ninja grill/airfryer.

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

The Times recommends a toaster oven above an air fryer.

1 hour ago, tassojunior said:

I went with their Breville convection oven suggestion and like how well built it is. My Cuisinart air fryer was not and it's astounding how cheaply build many ovens of all sort are made. Those suckers get HOT and use a full circuit of electricity. Beware.

53 minutes ago, FreshFluff said:

I’m going to try an air fryer. I’m always light frying over the stove with a little Pam, and dealing with an open flame makes me nervous. 

https://nypost.com/article/best-air-fryers/

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

I have a Cosori. It's awesome. The name is such a misnomer. It's really just a small convection oven. If you're cooking for one or two it's quite useful. While the basket part is easy to clean, the machine itself is much more difficult to clean well. That's the only problem I have with it.

Lots of great YT videos on using them for all sorts of things.

• 2 months later...
On 2/12/2022 at 7:52 PM, fedssocr1 said:

I have a Cosori. It's awesome. The name is such a misnomer. It's really just a small convection oven. If you're cooking for one or two it's quite useful. While the basket part is easy to clean, the machine itself is much more difficult to clean well. That's the only problem I have with it.

Lots of great YT videos on using them for all sorts of things.

I searched for prices on this, and the result said Kohl's had the best price at $127.  But that was wrong as Amazon had a special on it for $99. I bought one!

On 2/12/2022 at 8:46 AM, Rudynate said:

I don't have an air fryer, but I have an adapter that turns an instant pot into an air fryer.  Not very impressed.  It does a decent job with frozen french fries, but nothing else I have tried has turned out well.  I guess if I want the results that everyone raves about, I need to pony up for a real air fryer.

I had the add-on air fryer lid for my six-quart InstantPot and had the same experience as you. In my view, the issue was the size - it was just too small to get the kind of results one would get from a "real" air fryer. The six-quart InstantPot was too small for most of my recipes, so I upgraded to the eight-quart model that was built for and includes the air fryer attachment. It works much better.