Air Fryer

glutes

• 2 months later...

I need a new toaster oven and I'm thinking of getting an air fryer/toaster oven combo.  I love to cook and I'm worried I might not use the air fryer.  People who have one tell me they love it and no longer use their ovens.  Anyone with a combo care to comment on their experience?

Thanks

I had 2 Cuisinarts and as far as cooking they were awesome but not well made and difficult to get parts....I now have a Ninja and it's ok but things don;t seem to get crispy.  I also have a Ninja Foodi Grill which is awesome,,,,it airfries,bakes,roasts etc. but it has a smaller cooking space than the toaster oven type.

I’ve never air fried before…never been a fan of those, crock pots, InstaPots, etc. Prefer my standard cooking appliances and small wares I’ve invested in over the years. I cook a LOT.

I had to replace my over the range microwave due to some remodeling recently (new range/oven/hood). I ended up buying a countertop Panasonic MicroWave that is combo microwave/convection/broiler/air fryer. I told myself don’t expect too much from the “combo” type product.

Well, I have been surprised at how much I use the air fryer and how well it works! Chicken breasts, cauliflower, potatoes, etc. I’m having a blast with the air fryer portion of this microwave! I’ll be trying more.

Very cool feature of this microwave, a one touch “sense” feature that warms up leftovers etc. by sensing the steam coming off them. I was skeptical, but amazed that 9 times out of 10 it’s heats perfectly. 

I’ve declared a moratorium on countertop plug in appliances that take up a lot of real estate. Now that I’m no longer working and time is not of the essence I’ve ditched the crock pot, instant pot, toaster oven, ice cream maker, etc etc and have gone back to the cooktop and my convection wall oven. Not missing any of that stuff.

• 1 month later...

I wasn't able to open the article without a NYTimes account but I have a ninja foodie that has the airfryer as one of the settings and I use it a lot for things like sweet potato fries and frozen things you would normally put in a a deep fryer.

There are just some things that require oil that they don't work for like hush puppies and fried green tomatoes

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2022 at 8:47 PM, Epigonos said:

I don't do a lot of deep frying but do skillet frying in my numerous cast iron skillets.

Boy, do I have a place for you to visit on your next vacation!

The world’s largest cast iron skillet measures 18 feet across and weighs 14,360 pounds.

Created by Lodge Cast Iron, a 126-year-old American cookware company, the “history-making” cast iron skillet can be viewed in person at the new Lodge Museum of Cast Iron, located in South Pittsburg, Tennessee.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/10/worlds-largest-cast-iron-skillet-ready-for-museum-visitors/

newspress-collage-24192893-1665431186466

On 7/7/2022 at 7:15 PM, Buddy15 said:

I need a new toaster oven and I'm thinking of getting an air fryer/toaster oven combo.  I love to cook and I'm worried I might not use the air fryer.  People who have one tell me they love it and no longer use their ovens.  Anyone with a combo care to comment on their experience?

Thanks

Recognize this is a little late but have some insight to share. I bought a Breville Smart Oven Air about five years ago and love it. I've only used the air fryer feature a couple of times and it was OK. What I like is it uses less power, heats up more quickly than my oven, and throws less heat into the kitchen than the oven does. I can bake a couple of chicken breasts and roast vegetables or kale using the oven feature. It also does a nice job broiling, which is helpful when I don't want to run down to the grills in my building's courtyard. It is big enough to roast a small turkey or a turkey breast. The current model is called the Joule, I believe. To me, it is worth the price and the space it takes up on the counter.

I have the Ninja Foodi grill which also has an airfry selection and it's awesome. Chicken very crispy whether I use a coating or not....lamb chops grilled are delicious and juicy.

I also have a Ninja combo oven/airfryer/toaster which I was given for a xmas gift and the oven features are great but the airfryer not so.

On 2/12/2022 at 8:05 AM, tassojunior said:

Those suckers get HOT and use a full circuit of electricity. Beware.

Not only that, wait until your electric bill arrives.  Even though it is not a lot of money, the extra electricity billing runs about one hundred dollars each month.  

Actually, I think the extra hundred bucks is worth the money considering the time and work I saved by using an air fryer.  

Bravo to the person or persons who invented the machine.  I use it almost every day.  

• 4 months later...
On 2/12/2022 at 10:52 PM, fedssocr1 said:

I have a Cosori. It's awesome. The name is such a misnomer. It's really just a small convection oven. If you're cooking for one or two it's quite useful. While the basket part is easy to clean, the machine itself is much more difficult to clean well. That's the only problem I have with it.

Lots of great YT videos on using them for all sorts of things.

On 2/13/2022 at 12:34 PM, pdxleo said:

Plus one for the Cosori - I inherited one when Mom changed over to some countertop oven thing, but I find myself using the Cosori almost daily. Since I just cook for myself now, it's dong almost almost everything I need to cook, except stove top soups/ marinara.

On 5/6/2022 at 10:15 AM, Lucky said:

I searched for prices on this, and the result said Kohl's had the best price at $127.  But that was wrong as Amazon had a special on it for $99. I bought one!

They are recalling 2 million units because they have a nasty habit of catching on fire. You can sign up for a replacement unit. When you go to the recall web site they have a panel that says they have plenty of new units waiting to ship. But, before they will accept the online application for a new one, they make you send a picture of your old unit with the electrical cord cut off.

I use to only eat hotdogs in the summer when I can make them outside on the grill but they are reall good in the airfryer and almost as good as those cooked out.

Preheat the airfryer on 390 for a couple minutes and then cook the hotdog for 9 minutes turning it every three minutes and for the final three minutes drop a buttered hotdog bun.

Something else I really like is Red Baron french bread pizzas.   Seven minutes at 400 degrees

• 2 weeks later...

Only difference I've found between a convection oven and air fryer is the heat/fan in on top in an air fryer and on the side in a convection oven. Never been much on fried foods anyway. The one cooking appliance I could't do without is my old crock pot. Throw some chicken or roast in it with veggies and wine and come back for supper. (and lunch next day). 

Just got my first air fryer. Boy have I been missing out.  I love it!.  Though how it can cook a perfectly crispy skinned chicken thigh in 15 minutes, but needs 20 minutes for frozen potatoes is a great mystery. But it's a great tool.  Compact, cleans up easily; and as stated earlier, generally faster than the oven. Can't wait to try more things in it.  

On 2/26/2023 at 6:20 PM, handiacefailure said:

...hotdogs...

Preheat the airfryer on 390 for a couple minutes and then cook the hotdog for 9 minutes turning it every three minutes and for the final three minutes drop a buttered hotdog bun...

You know you can pop a hotdog in the microwave for 1 minute? 90 seconds if you have two hotdogs. 

• 2 weeks later...