I’m getting tired of drag queens.

foxy

5 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Sad isn't it ? I live in NYC in the heart of Greenwich Village. The outrageous costuming and ridiculous behavior I witnessed this weekend at the "Gay Pride Parade" was really nothing to be "Proud" of.  Why do so many gay men willingly turn themselves into a joke ? Would be nice if gay men and women would just feeling comfortable being people instead of cartoon characters, built from the worst of what straight people think about them.

That's what 'carnival' is all about, whether its gay or non-gay. Taking on other identities for a moment  

2 minutes ago, FrankR said:

Pretty much describes every frat party and bankers party I have been too.  Don’t send your kids to college and keep them out of the business world. 

you missed the point... everything is ok if you're straight and white.

23 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

That all sounds very pretty ...but the reality of the gay pride parade is anything but.

By midnight the whole thing turns grotesque.

Drugged up, half naked and either vomiting or fucking in dirty corners ( or both ).

My house smells of piss and vomit. I need to lock my kids in the house becsuse even a sexually adventurous person like me is embarrassed to have my children witness the depravity and vulgar behavior these drag queens exhibit when they've got enough drugs in them .

didn't you say you did cocaine in your youth and a line is nothing but drinking 4 coffees at once... 

You've shared with us some painful memories of your college years. Maybe some of those folks you allegedly saw in distress were also intoxicated because they got assaulted. 

Drag shows aren't favorite thing, but I remember loving watching Charlie Brown on the Backstreet third floor stage dress down some cocky, A&F wearing, fratscum that tried to heckle him any performers on his stage.  It always happened at least once every show after the Buckhead bars started closing and he'd make it clear it was their stage and read those entitled preeners for filth.  

The Armorettes also did a ton of charity fundraising that was critical to support gay youth and desperately needed services in the community.

Edited by DynamicUno

52 minutes ago, DynamicUno said:

Drag shows aren't favorite thing, but I remember loving watching Charlie Brown on the Backstreet third floor stage dress down some cocky, A&F wearing, fratscum that tried to heckle him any performers on his stage.  It always happened at least once every show after the Buckhead bars started closing and he'd make it clear it was their stage and read those entitled preeners for filth.  

The Armorettes also did a ton of charity fundraising that was critical to support gay youth and desperately needed services in the community.

We share these memories. But I also remember Charlie Brown doing both fundraising and outreach for AIDS patients before just about anyone else. I remember his working at Burkhart's behind the bar, not in drag, and pleading with customers to donate unused winter coats for AIDS patients. While drag might not be something I particularly go out of my way to watch, Charlie Brown and the other drag queens from the eighties and early nineties deserve our respect and thanks, 

I have more compartmentalized thoughts on drag. 

If someone truly enjoys dressing in drag.  Go for it.  I used hang out in the bear bars, and a few of the regulars would sometimes arrive in clothes thought of as male, and sometimes in clothes thought of as female.  (And if anyone believes that 1990s bear-wear... from caps, and vests, flannel and jeans, boots and wallets on chains - isn't drag, think again.  Grrrr Baby.) 

I arrived in SF at the tail of the worst of AIDS.   Men would be dead were it not for dykes and drag queens, esp...the Sisters. 

I have no issue with someone wearing drag for a statement.   I remember guys in high heels walking the parade, sponsored to raise funds.  I respect the talent in. A show when someone in drag can sing... if they want to wear a dress and belt out a tune, I'm totally on board. Same with an act, an emcee, etc.

But, I'm entirely uninterested in someone dressing in fabulous clothes and mincing around the stage while lip-synching.  I'm long passed the "wow, I can't believe that's a guy"  That's not entertainment, for me.  No contempt, just don't ask me to watch - or pay-to-watch..  

13 hours ago, Stormy said:

I’ve been accused of being straight acting and appearing.  I accept that.  I also accept our community comes in many colors.  It’s vibrant, exciting, sometimes exotic. Sometimes weird.  All are welcome in my book 

many of the most assertive, mean, entitled, and God fearing voices in this forum wish they could pass as straight I have a feeling they just can't and therefore go after drag queens, trans, etc. I wonder if to them they're all the same... 

this is how all this madness became mainstream... (sarcasm emoji)

MV5BMTY4MGJjMTktNGM4Ni00ODliLWJlYjQtNjc4

Let’s keep one thing in perspective:  When Pride originated, there were locations in the US where you could be arrested/jailed for being homosexual. For being suspected of it. 

The relief we currently enjoy from that very real threat (and more) is something that powerful interests do not want to continue. Let’s stay united at this time to protect all people whose sexuality and/or gender make them targets! Drag is not dangerous to anyone, except for the few who haven’t rehearsed enough in the heels!

11 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

many of the most assertive, mean, entitled, and God fearing voices in this forum wish they could pass as straight I have a feeling they just can't and therefore go after drag queens, trans, etc. I wonder if to them they're all the same... 

this is how all this madness became mainstream... (sarcasm emoji)

MV5BMTY4MGJjMTktNGM4Ni00ODliLWJlYjQtNjc4

I disagree

I enjoy most entertainers who sing live, including those in drag.

But I am tired of entertainers who merely move their lips to the song, and without any particular dance talent.  This seems to be prevelent at most modern day drag performances, unfortunately.  Last week I was at a "drag" performance (that's how it was advertised) where two of the performers weren't even in drag, and just stood there and moved their mouth to a soundtrack.  The bar keeps moving lower.

Yikes.

Drag is no different than being a mime or a clown, the only difference is that they wear "opposite gender" clothes (clothes are genderless). If you don't like them because "I don't like that kind of entertainment" is one thing, but not liking them because "as a gay man I don't want to dress up as a woman" it's like, "then don't? nobody is asking you to". Hating on drag queens for no real reason screams of internal homophobia. Figure out what about a man dressing as a woman triggers you so badly, especially when it's not you doing it, it's someone else. Drag shows aren't my cup of tea, but I don't care enough to make a post about it complain about it, that's the difference.

2 hours ago, WilliamM said:

My concern was guys dressed as July Garland shortly after she died 

Otherwise I am good.

Yikes! That would frighten me, too; except on Halloween when it is socially acceptable to dress as the dead.  The rest of the year, it is more appealing to mimic someone as they looked when they were alive.

17 minutes ago, Todd Jenkins said:

I'm only tired of the ones performing sexually suggestive dances in front of kids!

But <insert pop star> here on stage at the MTV music awards isn't doing it? Drag Queens at brunches or places with kids do not do any of this, and parents should not take their kids to events where Drag Queens would do this.

Edited by savantsav

8 hours ago, Todd Jenkins said:

I'm only tired of the ones performing sexually suggestive dances in front of kids!

Me Too, for all entertainers, regardless of gender.  Elvis Presley's suggestive hip action.  Madonna's sexual lyrics. Brittany Spears' dance moves.  But, parents are allowed to  being their children to pop concerts.  So, the choice is up to the parent.

Edited by Vegas_nw1982
This post is intended to be sarcastic. It is meant to bring to light that Elvis and Marilyn were considered raunchy by many in their day.

1 hour ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Yikes! That would frighten me, too; except on Halloween when it is socially acceptable to dress as the dead.  The rest of the year, it is more appealing to mimic someone as they looked when they were alive.

I remember Judy Garland bringing the audience to their feet at the end of "Give My Regards to Broadway" during a Christmas week performance in New City I  1967 Earlier she perked up when audience members gave her Christmas gifts 

Judy then sang"The Battle Hymn of the Republic with her children, Lorna and Joey

5 hours ago, savantsav said:

Yikes.

Drag is no different than being a mime or a clown, the only difference is that they wear "opposite gender" clothes (clothes are genderless). If you don't like them because "I don't like that kind of entertainment" is one thing, but not liking them because "as a gay man I don't want to dress up as a woman" it's like, "then don't? nobody is asking you to". Hating on drag queens for no real reason screams of internal homophobia. Figure out what about a man dressing as a woman triggers you so badly, especially when it's not you doing it, it's someone else. Drag shows aren't my cup of tea, but I don't care enough to make a post about it complain about it, that's the difference.

I would suggest you reread my post and you might see I never said I didn’t like drag queens. There was no expressed or implied hatred towards drag queens because I don’t hate them. I simply said I was tired of them. There’s a very big difference. I regret you misunderstood my post. 

3 hours ago, foxy said:

I would suggest you reread my post and you might see I never said I didn’t like drag queens. There was no expressed or implied hatred towards drag queens because I don’t hate them. I simply said I was tired of them. There’s a very big difference. I regret you misunderstood my post. 

Groupthink drones get very testy when someone refuses to toe the line.  Groupthink demands that we worship and glorify drag queens.  Anything less or other than that the drones condemn as "hate."

I find the comparison of drag to clowns and mime interesting because I don't like clowns or mime either.  Clowns are creepy and I can't figure out what's entertaining about them, and mime is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

I find drag queens tiresome, and like clowns, I can't figure out what's entertaining about them.  Perhaps if they actually did something besides lip-sync, which is second only to mime as the stupidest thing I've ever seen.