I’m getting tired of drag queens.

foxy

5 hours ago, BSR said:

Groupthink drones get very testy when someone refuses to toe the line.  Groupthink demands that we worship and glorify drag queens.  Anything less or other than that the drones condemn as "hate."

I find the comparison of drag to clowns and mime interesting because I don't like clowns or mime either.  Clowns are creepy and I can't figure out what's entertaining about them, and mime is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

I find drag queens tiresome, and like clowns, I can't figure out what's entertaining about them.  Perhaps if they actually did something besides lip-sync, which is second only to mime as the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

I think you are on the wrong forum. Drag is a big part of gay history and an important part of our culture of “sticking it to the man”. No one said drag queens should be “worshipped”. If you are unwilling to appreciate drag, you will likely be happier on another forum.

I don't know where anyone got the notion that all drag queens do is lip sync.  Even the ones that focus on that in terms of their performances also put together their looks.  Part of a drag show is the visual.  Beyond that, however, there are many drag queens who have started making music.  To my ears, most of them shouldn't be singing but that's true of many people making pop records.  Others focus on their comedic skills.  I saw Ru Paul's Drag Race Season Six winner Bianca Del Rio in person and she had me laughing nonstop for over an hour.  San Francisco based drag queen Peaches Christ has long been doing drag parodies of cult favorite films. 

Of course, if someone is "tired of" drag queens the simple solution is to change the channel or go to a different bar if what's on offer is a drag show.

Edited by maninsoma
forgot to include Peaches Christ's name

2 hours ago, FrankR said:

I think you are on the wrong forum. Drag is a big part of gay history and an important part of our culture of “sticking it to the man”. No one said drag queens should be “worshipped”. If you are unwilling to appreciate drag, you will likely be happier on another forum.

I have a deep rooted appreciation for drag and drag queens. When I was a wee lad studying in Ireland, trying to find myself, I scraped together all my courage and dragged (pun intended!) myself over to a gay bar. The place looked a little seedy on the outside, not "the hottest gay joint in town", but the kind of low key place with a few locals, where a stranger can scope things out on the QT - just what I was looking for. Upon entry I was greeted by a beautifully dresses lady in drag. I had never seen teeth that white, lips that red or a gown so meticulously crafted out of red faux silk.  She steered me towards the bar and settled me next to a local bloke. Big, bald, hairy, tattood, loud - the exact opposite of what I wanted, but just what I needed.  He gave me one look and yelled at the barkeep: "Hey Giúiré - this one is too young for a pint of the black stuff!"  The barkeep chuckled. The drag queen on stage (I later got to know him as Sammy), next to the bar interrupted her joke telling to glare at him and replied: "Don't you start on him Atticus - you manky old savage!" She floated off the stage, came over to say hello and said out loud, aiming for it to be overheard: "Hmm. Somebody throw me a life vest - I am about to drown in sea green eyes!" Then she winked at me and walked off. Someone from the other side commented:"I know whose keeping me warm tonight!" There I was, a too tall, too skinny, too insecure lad, blushing like I had never before.  She stopped, turned to him and said: "Well, Sean, I am glad you are putting that Merino wool blanket I got you for Christmas to good use". Now the whole bar was paying attention. "Merino wool? You got it on sale at Tesco and left the tag on!" Sean complained. She gave him a brilliant smile and the whole bar laughed. They may have been a little drunk by that point. I didn't care. Suddenly I was part of the family. 

1 hour ago, KeepItReal said:

I have a deep rooted appreciation for drag and drag queens. When I was a wee lad studying in Ireland, trying to find myself, I scraped together all my courage and dragged (pun intended!) myself over to a gay bar. The place looked a little seedy on the outside, not "the hottest gay joint in town", but the kind of low key place with a few locals, where a stranger can scope things out on the QT - just what I was looking for. Upon entry I was greeted by a beautifully dresses lady in drag. I had never seen teeth that white, lips that red or a gown so meticulously crafted out of red faux silk.  She steered me towards the bar and settled me next to a local bloke. Big, bald, hairy, tattood, loud - the exact opposite of what I wanted, but just what I needed.  He gave me one look and yelled at the barkeep: "Hey Giúiré - this one is too young for a pint of the black stuff!"  The barkeep chuckled. The drag queen on stage (I later got to know him as Sammy), next to the bar interrupted her joke telling to glare at him and replied: "Don't you start on him Atticus - you manky old savage!" She floated off the stage, came over to say hello and said out loud, aiming for it to be overheard: "Hmm. Somebody throw me a life vest - I am about to drown in sea green eyes!" Then she winked at me and walked off. Someone from the other side commented:"I know whose keeping me warm tonight!" There I was, a too tall, too skinny, too insecure lad, blushing like I had never before.  She stopped, turned to him and said: "Well, Sean, I am glad you are putting that Merino wool blanket I got you for Christmas to good use". Now the whole bar was paying attention. "Merino wool? You got it on sale at Tesco and left the tag on!" Sean complained. She gave him a brilliant smile and the whole bar laughed. They may have been a little drunk by that point. I didn't care. Suddenly I was part of the family. 

Might not have worked as well in Sarajevo. Still a wonderful story.

2 hours ago, KeepItReal said:

Such a nice story and a welcome refrain to the bigoted divisive comments peppered throughout this thread.

My post about drag queens has been taken much more seriously than I intended. As a bit of an explanation the other night I was looking for a movie to watch on the various streaming services I subscribe to. It seemed every movie I found with gay characters, drag queens seemed a big part of the story. So I thought as I scrolled “I’m getting so tired of drag queens”. That’s it folks. Nothing more, nothing less. 

On 6/27/2022 at 9:38 PM, marylander1940 said:

you missed the point... everything is ok if you're straight and white.

didn't you say you did cocaine in your youth and a line is nothing but drinking 4 coffees at once... 

You've shared with us some painful memories of your college years. Maybe some of those folks you allegedly saw in distress were also intoxicated because they got assaulted. 

Not ok for whites in Trailer parks in Appalachia

1 hour ago, foxy said:

My post about drag queens has been taken much more seriously than I intended. As a bit of an explanation the other night I was looking for a movie to watch on the various streaming services I subscribe to. It seemed every movie I found with gay characters, drag queens seemed a big part of the story. So I thought as I scrolled “I’m getting so tired of drag queens”. That’s it folks. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Your post was well-intended and honest but unfortunately some gay men love to punch down trying to feel good about themselves and their lifestyle...

no need for you to make clear your intentions, thank you for posting this thread, it's been a useful way to expose meanness among us! 

Administrator’s Reminder: 

Gentlemen: The topic here is “I’m getting tired of drag queens”. If you have a position to post on the topic please share  but do not hijack the thread by posting a DWTS video that has nothing to do with the OP’s subject. 

The moderators have already received reports on this thread and are considering action if off topic messages continue to be posted. 

Thanks! 🙏 

23 hours ago, Todd Jenkins said:

I'm only tired of the ones performing sexually suggestive dances in front of kids!

You need to pick better news sources. 

Dances? I thought it was telling stories dressed like a female clown, right? 

Glad to know you approve other drag queen shows! It's a start! 

23 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Yikes! That would frighten me, too; except on Halloween when it is socially acceptable to dress as the dead.  The rest of the year, it is more appealing to mimic someone as they looked when they were alive.

Socially acceptable... I doubt this forum is the place to judge what's socially acceptable considering our behavior.

I've seen great performances of Evita by drag queens in Buenos Aires and even Montevideo. 

1 hour ago, marylander1940 said:

You need to pick better news sources. 

Dances? I thought it was telling stories dressed like a female clown, right? 

Glad to know you approve other drag queen shows! It's a start! 

Socially acceptable... I doubt this forum is the place to judge what's socially acceptable considering our behavior.

I've seen great performances of Evita by drag queens in Buenos Aires and even Montevideo. 

I saw "The Boy From Oz"  twice in Sydney before it played anywhere else. 

There was a bit of drag in that musical but not later in New York. Also a mention of Sydney beaches and Joan Sutherland  in the original production

2 hours ago, augustus said:

I don't have anything against drag queens, except for the ones that are odious and obnoxious.  

don't go to their shows, and if you're already in the bar when one of them is acting/performing walk out or grab your phone till they're done.

What's odious and obnoxious to you might be funny to others and vice versa. 

Personally I find some of their shows funny while others not so much. 

2 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Strange comment considering this Forum discussion started with "I'm getting tired of drag Queens". Perhaps you are in the wrong conversation ? 🤔

the OP later on clarified his position 

8 hours ago, foxy said:

He simply would like to see fewer gay movies that portray a drag queen as a main character, etc. His position is understandable and it would be nice to see more gay men in everyday activities and not based around going to clubs etc. although that's part of our lives anyways. 

I would suggest @foxy YouTube, I'm amazed about the number of movies available for free or for 3.99, some unfortunately might show the main characters going to a gay bar where there's a drag queen performing but we can always skip that part if he don't appreciate the performance. 

full movies gay - YouTube 

Edited by marylander1940

• Cooper locked this topic