I’m getting tired of drag queens.

foxy

I have nothing against drag queens. I respect the amount of work that goes into it. I realize there are many talented people who perform as drag queens. I’ve seen my share of Drag Race. But it’s just not who I am as a gay man. I really have no desire to dress up and impersonate a woman. If someone wants to do that it’s fine. Go ahead. I just feel like it gets too much press but I suppose that’s because it’s so obvious. I think gay men are so much more than putting on a dress. Do we always have to be clowns to get attention? 
Yes, yes I realize there’s more out there but honestly I’m just so tired of drag queens  

20 minutes ago, foxy said:

I have nothing against drag queens. I respect the amount of work that goes into it. I realize there are many talented people who perform as drag queens. I’ve seen my share of Drag Race. But it’s just not who I am as a gay man. I really have no desire to dress up and impersonate a woman. If someone wants to do that it’s fine. Go ahead. I just feel like it gets too much press but I suppose that’s because it’s so obvious. I think gay men are so much more than putting on a dress. Do we always have to be clowns to get attention? 
Yes, yes I realize there’s more out there but honestly I’m just so tired of drag queens  

"The only time you will ever see me in drag is when I am getting paid. It is my job."

- RuPaul.

1D3F65F1-3158-460B-A365-E3DDBF0BE985.thumb.jpeg.c4a597993688f3e834a0375d6c4231d0.jpeg

I remember sitting at my first drag show back in the Midwest...she did her bit before the strippers went on...and of all the audience she chose my lap to sit, running her fingers through my golden hair which was much thicker and lustrous in those younger days.  " Is it Henna sweetie"

I was newly out and didn't have a clue, but knew enough to play along.

She was soon off to continue her interacting.  

There are drag performers here on the west coast in SF and LA that portray entire episodes of Golden Girls.  It's fun.

I'm not too interested in RuPauls Drag Race.  Not my scene.  They take themselves too seriously IMO.

To each his own. 

21 hours ago, sniper said:

Eh, tbh I kind of agree. It's just not my cup of tea and a couple of the gay clubs I've been involved with seem to be all drag all the time in their fundraisers etc. Hell, half my local grindr grid is drag queens and the straight guys who chase them.  

Mine neither but I'd rather post about stage performers that I like and admire. 

17 minutes ago, Kippy said:

Tell me, Mary, this doesn't mean the cancellation of Drag Queen story hour for 5 year olds.?!

It's better for a closeted gay uncle who thinks he can pass as straight to scare children away, shame them, be mean, etc. 

(sarcasm)

I thought from the title this thread is about things we're tired of. I'm tired of drivers who move to the far left lane on the highway and then go the speed limit right next to someone in the middle lane who's going the speed limit. I saw a tiktok about this, and the guy complaining said, "Don't they know the left lane is for people who have enough money to pay tickets?"

14 minutes ago, jeezopete said:

I thought from the title this thread is about things we're tired of.

I would have thought it was about drag queens, whether one was tired of them, and people debating that proposition. I'm not entirely sure how 'getting tired of' could become the key to the thread rather than 'drag queens'. Perhaps I need to contemplate that further.

Drag was one of those “secret delights” gay men would share, going to clubs and fundraisers back in the day - the queens were almost the only representation of femininity in the  joint in early 80’s before gay bars became THE bridal shower destination. The OQs: A little gritty, a little ugly, a little home-made, a little filthy, always self-effacing. There’s a more commercial slickness to all of it now, not to mention the manufacture of ego and I’ll-temper exaggerated for TV. Drag is no longer targeted TO a gay audience. But I love that there are more who can afford to buy houses now!!!

@foxy Get yourself a TV remote and change the channel, set down the phone, close the laptop. Sure fire way to see fewer! 

On 6/25/2022 at 8:42 PM, foxy said:

Do we always have to be clowns to get attention? 

Sad isn't it ? I live in NYC in the heart of Greenwich Village. The outrageous costuming and ridiculous behavior I witnessed this weekend at the "Gay Pride Parade" was really nothing to be "Proud" of.  Why do so many gay men willingly turn themselves into a joke ? Would be nice if gay men and women would just feeling comfortable being people instead of cartoon characters, built from the worst of what straight people think about them.

Edited by pubic_assistance
grammar tweak

12 minutes ago, jeezifonly said:

Drag was one of those “secret delights” gay men would share, going to clubs and fundraisers back in the day - the queens were almost the only representation of femininity in the  joint in early 80’s before gay bars became THE bridal shower destination. The OQs: A little gritty, a little ugly, a little home-made, a little filthy, always self-effacing. There’s a more commercial slickness to all of it now, not to mention the manufacture of ego and I’ll-temper exaggerated for TV. Drag is no longer targeted TO a gay audience. But I love that there are more who can afford to buy houses now!!!

@foxy Get yourself a TV remote and change the channel, set down the phone, close the laptop. Sure fire way to see fewer! 

YES!

Back in the day, "drag" was a part of being transgressive and making a real strong statement. Drag was a life, and it was a political statement.

This video clip is a nostalgic piece about a very special time in  our community's history that may be unknown to many.

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

Sad isn't it ? I live in NYC in the heart of Greenwich Village. The outrageous costuming and ridiculous behavior I witnessed this weekend at the "Gay Pride Parade" was really nothing to be "Proud" of.  Why do so many gay men willingly turn themselves into a joke ? Would be nice if gay men and women would just feeling comfortable being people instead of cartoon characters, built from the worst of what straight people think about them.

Pride is not about pleasing straight people or to fit whatever concept they have about us.

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

Why do so many gay men willingly turn themselves into a joke ?

You see them as a joke, perhaps others see them as entertainers. Do you feel the same way about Elton John, Kiss, Marilyn Manson, Madonna, Katy Perry, David Bowie, Liberace, Prince, Cher, Lady Gaga, Bjork, Michael Jackson, clowns, mimes, figure skaters, etc. ?

4 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

I’ve been accused of being straight acting and appearing.  I accept that.  I also accept our community comes in many colors.  It’s vibrant, exciting, sometimes exotic. Sometimes weird.  All are welcome in my book 

3 hours ago, jeezopete said:

You see them as a joke, perhaps others see them as entertainers. Do you feel the same way about Elton John, Kiss, Marilyn Manson, Madonna, Katy Perry, David Bowie, Liberace, Prince, Cher, Lady Gaga, Bjork, Michael Jackson, clowns, mimes, figure skaters, etc. ?

Well...none of those people were coked up / naked and giving blowjobs on my doorstep last night....so..I don't get the comparison

13 minutes ago, Stormy said:

I’ve been accused of being straight acting and appearing.  I accept that.  I also accept our community comes in many colors.  It’s vibrant, exciting, sometimes exotic. Sometimes weird.  All are welcome in my book 

That all sounds very pretty ...but the reality of the gay pride parade is anything but.

By midnight the whole thing turns grotesque.

Drugged up, half naked and either vomiting or fucking in dirty corners ( or both ).

My house smells of piss and vomit. I need to lock my kids in the house becsuse even a sexually adventurous person like me is embarrassed to have my children witness the depravity and vulgar behavior these drag queens exhibit when they've got enough drugs in them .

5 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

If you don't like it don't look.

As a proclaimed bisexual man, you're not that different in the eyes of many who would want sodomy and other things to be illegal again. 

14 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

That all sounds very pretty ...but the reality of the gay pride parade is anything but.

By midnight the whole thing turns grotesque.

Drugged up, half naked and either vomiting or fucking in dirty corners ( or both ).

My house smells of piss and vomit. I need to lock my kids in the house becsuse even a sexually adventurous person like me is embarrassed to have my children witness the depravity and vulgar behavior these drag queens exhibit when they've got enough drugs in them .

Pretty much describes every frat party and bankers party I have been too.  Don’t send your kids to college and keep them out of the business world.