DC Forum Gathering - Canceled

nate_sf
This topic is 876 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This should not come as a surprise given all that's going on with omicron, but the DC Forum Gathering planned for later this month has been canceled.

Over the past week I've been checking in with everyone who had initially expressed interest in attending. The vast majority have said they are not coming, or are likely not to come.

The timing of the weekend couldn't be worse, with it likely to coincide with the peak of the omicron surge. While it's turning out that the symptoms aren't too bad if you're vaccinated and boosted, it still seems like a bad idea. Add to that the possibility of flight and business disruptions, the mask requirement at MAL, etc. etc.

I'm really sorry about this guys (and gals). I'd been looking forward to this, as I know others had too. I have heard from a couple of guys who will be in town for the weekend nevertheless, and suggested a small dinner together if there are others. In that sense, this would take the weekend back to its roots, which started with a handful of guys getting together for brunch to put faces to screennames. If you're going to be in DC that weekend and would like to meet up, post something on this thread. I'm happy to help coordinate if there's a need, but I will not be traveling to DC myself.

Stay well, and let's hope for better days ahead!

I personally am still planning on going unless there are massive flight cancellations or something. I already have the time off and all of my hotels and flights booked. I of course understand the reason for cancelling, but yeah I would love to have dinner or something casually if there are a few folks in town. You're welcome to email me at keroscenefire@yahoo.com if that makes the coordination a bit easier.

3 minutes ago, Xxxxx said:

Omg 🙄 when will just admit their lazy and don't wanna go. Instead of using COVID as an escape goat

Plenty of people have been to these events over the years, so in general I don't think that they're lazy. Some of us have missed a couple of weeks of high summer to freeze our butts off in DC. Covid is why I won't be there.

2 hours ago, mike carey said:

Plenty of people have been to these events over the years, so in general I don't think that they're lazy. Some of us have missed a couple of weeks of high summer to freeze our butts off in DC. Covid is why I won't be there.

Understand your feelings but wasn't there ever anyone to warm your butt in freezing DC 😜

5 hours ago, keroscenefire said:

I personally am still planning on going unless there are massive flight cancellations or something. I already have the time off and all of my hotels and flights booked. I of course understand the reason for cancelling, but yeah I would love to have dinner or something casually if there are a few folks in town. You're welcome to email me at keroscenefire@yahoo.com if that makes the coordination a bit easier.

DC is home for me. (Well Northern Virginia, but DC is about 15-20 min away.)  So I’m happy to meet up for dinner/drinks/whatever.  Shoot me a PM and we can coordinate. 

11 hours ago, Xxxxx said:

Omg 🙄 when will just admit their lazy and don't wanna go. Instead of using COVID as an escape goat

You are crossing the line here.  As someone who has traveled to DC to attend this event on at least five occasions, I can assure you laziness is not a factor for me in deciding not to go.  (I have a family event to attend that weekend which is my obstacle.)  

I have known Nate for several years.  Someone who volunteered to coordinate this event all the way from SF is not lazy.   

11 hours ago, Xxxxx said:

This is like shooting fish in a barrel.

When will just admit.  This is why we don't drink and post.

Escape goat.  I'm assuming this is a special breed of goat used in Vegas magic acts.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

44 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

Escape goat.  I'm assuming this is a special breed of goat used in Vegas magic acts.

Maybe in one of those David Copperfield shows? Oh no, that would be a disappearing goat.

I have a friend who has a goat, and admittedly the critter is a talented escape artist! When he's not chewing up everything in sight.

@nate_sfIve been away from the forum for a while and just learned on this gathering last week. Thank you for your efforts to make this event happen.  As an organizer of previous DC Forum gatherings, I’m well aware of what goes into making this event occur. 

Given the circumstances regarding Covid cancellation makes sense. Frustrating as hell but sensible none the less.  I’m wondering if the entire MAL event will get canceled before the date arrives anyway.

My plan is to monitor the situation and depending on various factors I may swing by the Hyatt.  I’m more concerned about the asinine draconian overreacting restrictions put in place by DC government than the virus anyway. I will save my rant on this subject for another place and time.  

Sorry to see this event impacted by Covid again.  This gathering has been incredible in past years.  I’m saddened that I won’t get to see Forum members and old friends this year.  

Nate has done a fantastic job communicating with those of us initially planning to go. I look forward to my first MAL next year. I’ve got my ass where I want it after years of working out, so over the next year I’ll have some custom-made lamb skin chaps made for my debut. Daddy’s coming home. Lol.

5 hours ago, Ami9uito said:

Are there any gatherings in Philly or Princeton?

Whether there are events in those or other places is a separate discussion. The DC event and the Palm Springs weekend are what could be called 'destination' event for the participants, not gatherings aimed at the community where they are held, although they are certainly convenient for those locals. They depend for their success on people travelling from around the country and beyond (Exhibit A for the latter right here), and indeed for this event this year an organiser who lives on the west coast.

Staging another similar event elsewhere would work best at a location that is a drawcard (for whatever reason) in its own right, so a destination city or an airline hub. There have been events attempted in places like New York and Chicago but none has been enduring, so perhaps the key to success is a city that is not too much of a destination: if people really want to go there (or have to) they would do it anyway, and the event wouldn't prompt them to make a special trip, whereas for an event at a place people sort of want to go could be the trigger for them to make the trip.

I can't talk to Philly's status as a drawcard, although I am aware of its historical significance as the first seat of Congress, amongst other things, so I don't know where it fits into the scale of likely host cities. Princeton and I suspect Philly are candidates for locals to organise a meeting, and perhaps advertise it for wider attendance from forum members but I doubt either will become the next, or another 'forum regular' gathering. Don't die wondering, try to organise something local, but history suggests that something more even that a few initially enthusiastic locals is needed for an enduing event. Good luck!

Sorry for you who had planned on attending the annual DC gathering and enjoying a DC weekend. Although I've never attended one of these events, I'm already committing myself mentally to joining the fun next year. And I already have a menu planned for a late night hotel room gathering:

>A spread of assorted wheat crackers and multiple gourmet goat cheeses

>No alcohol Goat milk punch

>A mystery pate known as "Escaped Goat" topped with goat yogurt

>A surprise young male guest who will pop out of a 7 ft tall goat-shaped cake dressed as an escaped goat