DC Forum Gathering - Canceled

nate_sf
This topic is 859 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If people are looking for a third venue to host a gathering might I suggest Denver.  It is located near the center of the country and has great airline connections. However, would not want to plan a winter event as the weather can be quite severe.  I would also suggest San Antonio or Austin Texas but for the fact that many members would object to going to Texas. 

The real problem is finding a Nate_sf or Oliver to take charge.  Until someone is willing to put their time and energy into working on an additional site it isn't going to happen.  Do please keep in mind that setting-up one of these events is VERY time consuming and a hell of a lot of work.  I've worked with Oliver for a number of years and I KNOW just how much hard work the man puts into making the Palm Springs Weekend the success it has consistently been.  Later this month I will spend a week with Oliver on his road trip from the mid West  to Palm Springs.  During that drive we will spend a great deal of time discussing the Weekend and how to make it even better.   

Having to cancel is admittedly a bummer but also prudent. Let's disregard Xxxx's comments for the moment. I am hardly alone in appreciating the efforts of ArVaGuy and others to arrange the brunch and Nate fora night out on the town. 

With all due to respect to Epinogos and his Denver suggestion might I suggest another option? What about Fort Lauderdale in April or May? There is a planned Palm Springs event in April so we should choose a different weekend. But getting to Palm Springs isn't easy from the East Coast. (Sorry Nate!) Midwest and East Coast members can get lots of affordable flights to Fort Lauderdale. There are also lots of venues to visit. If this idea has any appeal we could start a fresh thread.

The moderators will be meeting up in FLL at the end of January for a working session. 

I'm looking to setup something in late summer/early fall there for anyone who wants to join.  That will hopefully see COVID on a much bigger downward slide and give folks more time to decide to participate.  

Ahoy-hoy all ye brethren! I came late to the original announcement and suspected all along a cancellation. I've been to one of these DC gatherings in the past. If some of you do decide to go ahead with a more intimate dinner, let me know either by direct message or by posting here. I'm local (NoVa) though can't guarantee my participation, as it depends on weather and a few other factors.

11 hours ago, RadioRob said:

The moderators will be meeting up in FLL at the end of January for a working session. 

I'm looking to setup something in late summer/early fall there for anyone who wants to join.  That will hopefully see COVID on a much bigger downward slide and give folks more time to decide to participate.  

I think that's terrific and the suggested time makes more sense with Covid lurking. I'm happy to suggest some ideas/venues as the date draws closer.

We're presently getting walloped by snow in Boston. Just thinking about Florida feels good.