FOODIES: What prepared or pre-packaged foods do you use?

samhexum

6 minutes ago, samhexum said:

Martha Stewart has admitted that she uses canned pumpkin, saying it's one of the few canned items she uses.

For those of you that cook a lot, what pre-made mass-produced items do you use for convenience?

Packaged phyllo pastry and and packaged puff pastry to save time.

I use Pillsbury pre-made pie crusts. 
I will never attempt to squeeze key limes again. 
I will never attempt to use fresh pumpkins again.
I use vanilla paste not vanilla beans https://nielsenmassey.com/products/pure-vanilla-bean-paste/
I buy my chicken / beef / fish broth 90% of the time. 
I don’t bake my own breads (that’s why we have bakeries for fuck’s sake)
Sadly despite my Southern roots, I have given up on biscuits. 
I don’t roast my own chickens 90% of the time…fucking Costco is hard to beat.

Despite, or perhaps because of, all of the above….I am a wicked cook. 

32 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I always keep a can of pumpkin in the pantry, because my vet told me years ago that it is the best thing to feed a dog when it has an upset stomach.

Canned pumpkin is also good for cats who suffer from hyperthyroidism. Makes for a less unpleasant litterbox.

I use the following prepared/canned foods:

- No salt added canned tomatoes

- Lime/lemon juice in recipes 

- Broccoli slaw 

- Canned chicken soup (Progresso)

- Boxed chicken, beef, and vegetable stock

Let’s see:

• Make my own stock, duck, turkey, chicken, veal stock all in freezer now
  • Make my own sourdough bread 2-3 times monthly from starter I created about 12 years ago
  • Make my own pizza dough (some ready for tonight) and sauce too
  • Make my own tomato sauce from summer garden, about 8 quarts in freezer now
  • Pesto from the basil in the garden too
  • Roast my own coffee beans
  • Dry age primal cuts of prime beef, and occasionally ducks in dry aged locker in my garage.
  • Occasionally brine brisket into corn beef, smoke some of that into pastrami

Yes on canned pumpkin, and I buy Italian tomato paste.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:
  • Make my own stock, duck, turkey, chicken, veal stock all in freezer now
  • Make my own sourdough bread 2-3 times monthly from starter I created about 12 years ago
  • Make my own pizza dough (some ready for tonight) and sauce too
  • Make my own tomato sauce from summer garden, about 8 quarts in freezer now
  • Pesto from the basil in the garden too
  • Roast my own coffee beans
  • Dry age primal cuts of prime beef, and occasionally ducks in dry aged locker in my garage.
  • Occasionally brine brisket into corn beef, smoke some of that into pastrami

Ummmm…I believe the topic is….

"What prepared or pre-packaged foods do you use?"

Not…

"How many how many painfully basic things can you make?"

grin

31 minutes ago, Beancounter said:

Manchego and gruyere cheeses

All pasta products

To me, manchego & gruyere are not examples of prepackaged or prepared food.  Come on, who makes their own manchego?  Shredded mozzarella or cheddar are, however, since you can easily grate your own.  I've seen recipes that advise against bags of shredded mozzarella because it contains additives that affect how the cheese melts.

Making your own pasta looks simple enough, but terribly messy.  I used to buy DeCecco until I discovered that the local supermarket's premium house brand has the exact same taste & texture.

I use canned tomatoes and beans to make chili.  We always have at least one carton of chicken broth on hand.  We use chicken gravy mix to make gravy to have with left-over roast chicken.  We use Kodiak Cakes pancake mix and sugarless pancake syrup.  I also like to drink pulp-free OJ in the morning. We buy our bread.  That's about all I can think of.

• 9 months later...

Pastry is one of my things to buy rather than make from scratch list. Short crust pastry I'll happily make, although more often for savoury pies (using meat dripping) than sweet ones, where I'm happy to buy sheets of pastry from the freezer section. Fillo pastry I wouldn't dream of trying to make, although I rarely use it.

Puff pastry is a different matter, I don't use it often and when I do, I usually use bought pastry. I seem to remember trying to make it with mixed results, but that was in the olden days. Now, not so sure, but this 15 minute segment (with the recipe in the notes) sparked my interest although not yet to action. I was interested in the 'you get what you pay for' bit about cheap pastry being made with margarine but if you want butter in it you need to pay more. It was also interesting to hear the ease with which folding and refolding it as you roll it out so quickly leads to 1,000 layers. It's obvious when you think about it, I just hadn't done so.

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/blueprintforliving/annie-smithers/13955058

7 hours ago, mike carey said:

Pastry is one of my things to buy rather than make from scratch list. Short crust pastry I'll happily make, although more often for savoury pies (using meat dripping) than sweet ones, where I'm happy to buy sheets of pastry from the freezer section. Fillo pastry I wouldn't dream of trying to make, although I rarely use it.

Puff pastry is a different matter, I don't use it often and when I do, I usually use bought pastry. I seem to remember trying to make it with mixed results, but that was in the olden days. Now, not so sure, but this 15 minute segment (with the recipe in the notes) sparked my interest although not yet to action. I was interested in the 'you get what you pay for' bit about cheap pastry being made with margarine but if you want butter in it you need to pay more. It was also interesting to hear the ease with which folding and refolding it as you roll it out so quickly leads to 1,000 layers. It's obvious when you think about it, I just hadn't done so.

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/blueprintforliving/annie-smithers/13955058

I have never made puff pastry, but I have made croissants - same idea, but with a yeast dough.

8 hours ago, mike carey said:

i went to a culinary school... and my final exam was making a pear puff pastry tart

ever since that day, i use frozen puff pastry (haha) but it does matter which brand you buy - read the label carefully for ingredients you don't want... to me the best is the Dufour brand