Atlantis Cruises - your experiences?

BonVivant

On 6/24/2021 at 2:42 PM, BonVivant said:

What has been the experience of folks on this forum with Atlantis cruises?

My first and only experience from October 2009 was not great. I was not treated well on the cruise by others. It all started from the welcome reception and just got worse.  I was body shamed (5’10” 36 inch waist) (I would have been fine on a normal cruise) (it was a tough year and I just wanted to relax). People wouldn’t even sit with me for dinner or socialize.  I ended up eating by myself in the cafeteria. I also had two different cliques openly make fun of me whenever they saw me. I finally had to confront them to stop and it went up to to the Ships officers who basically told them to knock it off.  They also advised me to try and have fun on my own. Basically, what I learned was that it is only really for the lean six pack abs muscle set. All others should stay away. I will never go on another gay cruise. Ever!! 

What about your experiences?  

Let me tell you something about nasty, miserable bitches who play those “mean girl” games. 
Never ever give those insecure, cum dumpsters the satisfaction of allowing them to disrespect you, ever!!! 

No Atlantis experience. 

I did a gay group cruise.  1999, so long ago.  About 50 gay guys on a mainstream cruise.  I went solo, had an excellent time with other solos and couples.  Other gays, not in our group, found us, particularly ship's staff.  Zero issues that I encountered with the non-group passengers onboard, never felt uncomfortable or conspicuous; so it validated that entire-ship wasn't necessary. 

That was 20+ years ago... I knew then I wasn't wired for the floating bathhouse potential of an all-gay ship... and certainly not now.  But I've been researching groups, or smaller ships.

2 hours ago, Monarchy79 said:

Let me tell you something about nasty, miserable bitches who play those “mean girl” games. 
Never ever give those insecure, cum dumpsters the satisfaction of allowing them to disrespect you, ever!!! 

Will you please stop holding back and tell us how you really feel!!

😁😁😁

2 minutes ago, JoeMendoza said:

I prolly need to figure out how to swim first before venturing to any cruise. But at least now I know to stay away from Atlantis. Sorry to hear about your experience, @BonVivant!

You don't need to know how to swim before taking a cruise, any more than you need to know how to fly before boarding an airplane

Just now, Vegas_nw1982 said:

You don't need to know how to swim before taking a cruise, any more than you need to know how to fly before boarding an airplane

lol, this is probably pretty morbid to think about, but at least when the plane crashes, you die immediately, but if the boat sinks, you have the chance to survive, a-la-Titanic, but if I don't get a boat or a life jacket and don't know how to swim, I'd just be prolonging my death...or maybe, since I wouldn't know how to swim, I'd just easily drown and die, which probably won't take as long dying from a plane crash. so I guess you're right.

17 minutes ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

4 hours ago, JoeMendoza said:

lol, this is probably pretty morbid to think about, but at least when the plane crashes, you die immediately, but if the boat sinks, you have the chance to survive, a-la-Titanic, but if I don't get a boat or a life jacket and don't know how to swim, I'd just be prolonging my death...or maybe, since I wouldn't know how to swim, I'd just easily drown and die, which probably won't take as long dying from a plane crash. so I guess you're right.

It all depends where your cruise ship takes you. If in frigid waters, being able to swim or wearing a Lifejacket won't help as you will die of hypothermia in a short while. That is why most fishermen in Newfoundland don't know how to swim.

On the other hand, if you are in sunny climes, you may want to know how to swim. But then you would have to worry about the sharks so maybe even there it would be better to drown quickly.😒

There are independent small groups like
gay sail. Which offer small private sailing excursions for gay men.  Does any of you ever taken one of these trips?

https://gaysail.com/destinations

or this website

https://www.outofoffice.com/gay-sailing-and-cruises/

https://www.wolfyy.com/gay-sailing-holidays/

I am sure there are many others. Would love to hear your experiences peoples head with the small groups

Edited by Kcdave

• 5 months later...

Atlantis cruises receive some publicity in the NYTimes today. Not all good, either.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/14/travel/gay-cruise-atlantis-covid.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Travel

One passenger is quoted:

“It’s time to start living our lives again and vaccines and tests allow us to do that. This isn’t Covid 2020,” said Andre Mayer, a graphic designer from Germany who paid more than $4,000 for the weeklong cruise on board Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas. “This is going to be the wildest party for our community in two years. I’m talking dirty dancing, sex, drugs, raves, orgies and sweet, sweet freedom.”

Atlantis is sticking t its "no refund within 60 days" policy.

"While the company does not offer refunds, it says that the health and safety of its guests is a top priority and it will be enforcing Royal Caribbean’s health and safety protocols, which includes a mask mandate indoors except while eating and drinking and in crowded spaces outdoors. Royal Caribbean officials say that while the Omicron variant has driven up cases on board its ships in recent weeks, most infections have been mild and have not resulted in severe illness. Still, with a growing number of crew members and passengers contracting the virus, the cruise line, like other cruise companies, has canceled several voyages this month in what it said was “an abundance of caution” as a result of “ongoing Covid-related circumstances.”

I have old friends (a straight couple) who can't get enough cruising. They had several cruises already booked when the pandemic hit, and all of them were cancelled, but with future credits. As soon as the ships started sailing again, they were off, and they have already done two, in Europe and the Caribbean. They just came back from one which they said was great because the ship was much emptier than usual, since they had to jump through so many hoops just to get clearance to go, and some of the original stops had been dropped. They had to wear masks in the public areas, and there were noticeable changes in traditional things like buffets, but on the whole they found the experience satisfying. Of course, that was before the first reports of a couple of cruises returning with passengers who had contracted COVID during the cruise, even though all of them were vaxxed.

5 hours ago, Lucky said:

Atlantis cruises receive some publicity in the NYTimes today. Not all good, either.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/14/travel/gay-cruise-atlantis-covid.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Travel

One passenger is quoted:

“It’s time to start living our lives again and vaccines and tests allow us to do that. This isn’t Covid 2020,” said Andre Mayer, a graphic designer from Germany who paid more than $4,000 for the weeklong cruise on board Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas. “This is going to be the wildest party for our community in two years. I’m talking dirty dancing, sex, drugs, raves, orgies and sweet, sweet freedom.”

Atlantis is sticking t its "no refund within 60 days" policy.

"While the company does not offer refunds, it says that the health and safety of its guests is a top priority and it will be enforcing Royal Caribbean’s health and safety protocols, which includes a mask mandate indoors except while eating and drinking and in crowded spaces outdoors. Royal Caribbean officials say that while the Omicron variant has driven up cases on board its ships in recent weeks, most infections have been mild and have not resulted in severe illness. Still, with a growing number of crew members and passengers contracting the virus, the cruise line, like other cruise companies, has canceled several voyages this month in what it said was “an abundance of caution” as a result of “ongoing Covid-related circumstances.”

Honestly, I don’t have a lot of sympathy.

You had to have booked this cruise during the pandemic.
You knew what you were signing up for and you knew the risks. 
No one twisted your arm.

That twit quoted in the article is making it sound like someome
is making him get on the boat at gun point. Miss Thing, please. 
You paid for the cruise. You agreed to the terms. You let the
cancellation date pass. You don’t feel safe going? (and I agree
with you there) then don’t fucking get on the boat you stupid 
fucking Queen. 

I’m not a huge fan of Atlantis’ business practices and I think 
it was irresponsible of them to plan this cruise. Nonetheless,
it’s a free country. If nobody had signed up for it, it wouldn’t 
be happening. Atlantis alone is not to blame, nor should they
be expected to shoulder the financial responsibility of 5,000
Homos regretting their stupid decision. 

Edited by nycman

Guest MikeThomas
18 hours ago, Trick said:

Picture from the current Atlantis cruise on Oasis of the Seas.  Covid? What covid?

3265310A-6DA8-4DAB-97A1-EE8D76F522A6.jpeg.c729fccfd2c6bb531a3db907003651dc.jpeg

A CDC omicron experiment?

I have a friend who is actually on that cruise right now.  It'll be interesting to hear his feedback but he's a young ripped gay so I'm sure he'll have fun.  But the picture of that crowd gives me an anxiety attack!  Too many people!  I've seen similar pics of P-Town which has made me hesitant to go there.

A bear cruise sounds fun, may have to look into that, never been on a cruise before.  Other friends have done a few RSVP cruises and they swear by them.  In fact there use to be a group in town of guys who would go on cruises together called the "party of 75".  People who met on the cruise, found out they live in the same city, and regularly meet up for drinks or dinner.  Actually nice people not pretentious at all despite the name.

I've also recently considered a Disney cruise.  Right now I hear they're way below capacity and there are lots of things for adults without kids to do and adults only areas so you don't have to deal with families and still enjoy the Disney experience.

Edited by Woofiecmh

3 hours ago, Woofiecmh said:

I've also recently considered a Disney cruise.  Right now I hear they're way below capacity and there are lots of things for adults without kids to do and adults only areas so you don't have to deal with families and still enjoy the Disney experience.

Dis cruises are a nightmare if you want a cocktail after 9pm.  Caveat emptor.

I was on a Virgin Voyages cruise over Christmas and it was great.  Their ships are at half-capacity, no one under 21 allowed, a decidedly fun, adult vibe and extremely LGBT friendly without the silly bullshit that you deal with on a standard gay cruise.  Check them out.

https://www.virginvoyages.com/