Atlantis Cruises - your experiences?

BonVivant

Thousands of people (mostly or exclusively men but that part is largely irrelevant), the complete range of ages, add in some party (and other) drugs, a new and unpredictable disease and unaccustomed levels of activity (vertical and horizontal) in tropical heat, the surprise would be if there weren't more deaths. Natural causes alone would have suggested as much in that demographic mix even before 'culturally specific' characteristics of the group concerned were considered.

• 1 year later...

Im curious if anyone has gone on Atlantis as a solo traveller and chosen to allow Atlantis to put you in a room to share with another solo traveller?

I am thinking of going and it could be a good way to meet new people being paired up with someone else alone also! 

16 hours ago, NYXboy said:

Im curious if anyone has gone on Atlantis as a solo traveller and chosen to allow Atlantis to put you in a room to share with another solo traveller?

I am thinking of going and it could be a good way to meet new people being paired up with someone else alone also! 

It can make or break your gay cruise experience. If you can afford it, I'd pay the extra fee and get a single room. If you do share a room with a random stranger, communicate with him your expectations/boundaries to help prevent issues.

4 hours ago, kingsley88 said:

It can make or break your gay cruise experience. If you can afford it, I'd pay the extra fee and get a single room. If you do share a room with a random stranger, communicate with him your expectations/boundaries to help prevent issues.

well that would be the bare minimum that anyone with any sort of social awareness would do - can you share with me a bit about your experience? 

I have travelled solo and stayed in backpacking hostels in Europe and made great friends along the way, but I was in my mid 20s and early 30s.  I am 41 now, but I imagine the age demographic of the ship would be slightly older due to the price. 

5 hours ago, kingsley88 said:

If you can afford it, I'd pay the extra fee and get a single room

Yes, yes, yes - absolutely yes

5 hours ago, kingsley88 said:

If you do share a room with a random stranger, communicate with him your expectations/boundaries to help prevent issues

I’ve been on an Atlantis cruise - there’s a certain type that makes up the majority of passengers & depends a bit on which itinerary.  overall, it leans heavy into the youngish American circuit crowd and I saw a lot of very bad behavior & complete lack of self-awareness/consideration of others.   I went on Atlantis when I was 42 yrs old - most of the behavior was something like 25 year olds regardless of actual age.  Not everyone - but vast majority for sure & it wasn’t exactly relaxing.  Be ready to see lots of open drug use & people that can’t handle it.. 

If you’ve ever been exposed to circuit boys after 3 days of nonstop partying  - you know this is something to avoid.  

I’ve never even considered a second Atlantis cruise - and there’s a reason.

Atlantis attracts young and old: Price isn't so prohibitively expensive that it keeps away the tweaking twerking twinks and wannabe OF crowd. 

I mean, it's an NCL or Celebrity ship.... Not Ponant. 

One Atlantis cruise was enough for me. It's like being stuck at the club long after the lights have come on. 

I did one RSVP cruise from Asia on an Azamara ship and it was fun. Totally different crowd. The cost and travel obligation kept a lot of the dumpster fire contingent away. 

Have done several R Family cruises.  They always have interesting itens and pick unique ships. 

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 12:44 AM, BenjaminNicholas said:

Atlantis attracts young and old: Price isn't so prohibitively expensive that it keeps away the tweaking twerking twinks and wannabe OF crowd. 

I mean, it's an NCL or Celebrity ship.... Not Ponant. 

One Atlantis cruise was enough for me. It's like being stuck at the club long after the lights have come on. 

I did one RSVP cruise from Asia on an Azamara ship and it was fun. Totally different crowd. The cost and travel obligation kept a lot of the dumpster fire contingent away. 

Have done several R Family cruises.  They always have interesting itens and pick unique ships. 

Any experience with Explora MSC?

54 minutes ago, MikeThomas said:

Any experience with Explora MSC?

Yes.  Although not gay, which was what the op was going for, it's a new line with a great product.

I have a client who loves high-end cruises.  We did the new Explora I this last year.  For only having had a few months of sailing, the ship is great.  Beautiful atrium bar.  Good gym.  Great spa.  The design on the ship is modern without being cold.  Reminds me of what Viking does so well with their ships.

Explora reminds me of MSC's Yacht Club product if the whole ship were designed for it.  They truly took a good product from their larger line and condensed it down into the very best of what they can do.  

1 minute ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Yes.  Although not gay, which was what the op was going for, it's a new line with a great product.

I have a client who loves high-end cruises.  We did the new Explora I this last year.  For only having had a few months of sailing, the ship is great.  Beautiful atrium bar.  Good gym.  Great spa.  The design on the ship is modern without being cold.  Reminds me of what Viking does so well with their ships.

Explora reminds me of MSC's Yacht Club product if the whole ship were designed for it.  They truly took a good product from their larger line and condensed it down into the very best of what they can do.  

Excellent.  Thanks!  This would be my first time with Explora.  They are offering a great price on a  17 day Barcelona to Miami crossing with a very reasonable single supplement, which I am trying to negotiate.

On 1/24/2024 at 11:58 PM, NYXboy said:

well that would be the bare minimum that anyone with any sort of social awareness would do - can you share with me a bit about your experience? 

I went to one over a decade ago. It was an Alaska cruise and overall had a great time. I ended up going with a friend as my roommate so I myself have not paid for the single supplement. We did meet other folks who had roomed with a random stranger and had negative experiences (i.e. drug use, snoring, poor hygiene, etc.) 

13 hours ago, MikeThomas said:

Excellent.  Thanks!  This would be my first time with Explora.  They are offering a great price on a  17 day Barcelona to Miami crossing with a very reasonable single supplement, which I am trying to negotiate.

May I ask how you are negotiating a better single supplement?  I've never had any luck with that.  :(