Foods You Can No Longer Eat

lonely_john

I used to love microwave popcorn because I love popcorn & loved the convenience. Then yikes! It turns out to be carcinogenic?! WTF? Why does the FDA still allow it to be sold??

Why would you ever do microwave popcorn, popcorn is so easy to make and healthy. Never takes me more than three or four minutes

Exactly, I love the noise it makes n the stove and the smell!

width=455pxhttps://thumbs.gfycat.com/WeepyRepulsiveIchidna-small.gif[/img]width=468pxhttps://us.v-cdn.net/5017260/uploads/editor/vk/dad85b686noj.gif[/img]

width=429pxhttps://media0.giphy.com/media/MbHQXPGal1vlaThIZA/giphy-downsized-large.gif[/img]width=507pxhttps://2.bp.blogspot.com/-X8OHeREL3VI/Vx4NDpmZWtI/AAAAAAAAACs/NpbpCzLyQb8kI9N8Vem8C8pkqWpv2EVjQCLcB/s1600/popcorn%2Bpopping.gif[/img]

Good to know. Any brand that you recommend?

I just buy kernels in bulk, I prefer white corn. 2 tablespoons coconut oil over medium high heat. I drop in 4 kernels of corn, when they pop the oil is hot enough. I usually do 1/3 of a cup of kernels for a large bowel. Season with salt and nutritional yeast. Make sure you use mitts or a towel as the pot gets VERY hot.

At 70, life is growing shorter now every day, so I dont deprove myself of anything I enjoy. Moderation is always the key. If I indulge in something decadent one day, the next day I refrain.... Unless there are some health or physical issues dictating your behavior, just enjoy yourself responsibly.

At 70, life is growing shorter now every day, so I dont deprove myself of anything I enjoy. Moderation is always the key. If I indulge in something decadent one day, the next day I refrain.... Unless there are some health or physical issues dictating your behavior, just enjoy yourself responsibly.

When my grandmother went to live with my aunt, my aunt became rather zealous about monitoring my grandmother's eating habits, like allowing her ice cream (her fave food) only rarely, severely limiting salt intake, etc. An in-law who was a doctor advised my aunt to let my grandmother to enjoy life a bit, that a little more ice cream & salt wasn't going to hurt, and at least she would enjoy life more, but my aunt would have none of it.

In her mid 80s my grandmother moved back to the Philippines because she needed more care than my aunt could provide. Grandma now lived "on her own," i.e., with a live-in caretaker & a housekeeper/cook but no daughter around to restrict what she ate. Well, she started eating ice cream every single day (yet managed not to gain weight) and ate plenty of salty foods, much to my aunt's chagrin. Grandma lived to 98.

I just buy kernels in bulk, I prefer white corn. 2 tablespoons coconut oil over medium high heat. I drop in 4 kernels of corn, when they pop the oil is hot enough. I usually do 1/3 of a cup of kernels for a large bowel. Season with salt and nutritional yeast. Make sure you use mitts or a towel as the pot gets VERY hot.

I LOVE popcorn! I used to go to the Met Live in HD not so much for the opera as for the popcorn. I've a hot air popper at home. The problem is my beloved other of three decades abhors the smell and taste of it. Alas

In her mid 80s my grandmother moved back to the Philippines because she needed more care than my aunt could provide. Grandma now lived "on her own," i.e., with a live-in caretaker & a housekeeper/cook but no daughter around to restrict what she ate. Well, she started eating ice cream every single day (yet managed not to gain weight) and ate plenty of salty foods, much to my aunt's chagrin. Grandma lived to 98.

And you tell this story so I'll hate your late grandmother? ? ?

And you tell this story so I'll hate your late grandmother? ? ?

LOL, not quite. The reason my grandmother could eat ice cream every single day without gaining weight was that she didn't eat that much else. When my aunt spoke with grandma's primary care physician, he was actually glad that she was eating ice cream because otherwise she was at risk of being underweight. It should be noted that ice cream in the Philippines has a lower butterfat content and a lot less sugar than American ice cream, so it's actually not that bad for you.

I am fortunate in that I have been able to eat anything all my life. I have no food allergies or allergies of any other kind which is fortunate because my mother did have some serious allergies.

Now in my 70's I still eat whatever I want but I tend to eat a healthy diet most of the time and don't snack between meals so my weight seldom fluctuates more than a couple of pounds.

I only get weighed at the doctor's office once a year and I am going next week. I know I have put on maybe 8 pounds or so since the pandemic started. I threw out my scales decades ago since I don't need them.

• 3 weeks later...

I LOVE popcorn! I used to go to the Met Live in HD not so much for the opera as for the popcorn. I've a hot air popper at home. The problem is my beloved other of three decades abhors the smell and taste of it. Alas

Damn the popcorn sounds great. My problem is that I want it drenched in butter and that ends that for me.

I used to love microwave popcorn because I love popcorn & loved the convenience. Then yikes! It turns out to be carcinogenic?! WTF? Why does the FDA still allow it to be sold??

Why would you ever do microwave popcorn, popcorn is so easy to make and healthy. Never takes me more than three or four minutes

I love the noise it makes on the stove and the smell!

width=468pxhttps://us.v-cdn.net/5017260/uploads/editor/vk/dad85b686noj.gif[/img]

b2afa3006a6701395232005056a9545d

Not every time, but if I'm not careful I can OD on super spicy Chinese chow. My tummy does the watusi, and as it works it's way through I wind up with a tingly feeling when I poo. Then I'm fine.

Where do you feel that tingly feeling you feel when you poo?

• 1 year later...

There are only two foods I can think of that I can't tolerate - edamame and fava beans.  Either of them give me serious indigestion.  My kidneys don't like too much protein so no gluttonous portions of anything that is mostly protein.   It was a sad day when my doc told me that a high-protein diet was not my friend.