Which of these statements made to me today would you find more disheartening?

purplekow
This topic is 1152 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I had a patient who became very angry that he was caught in a number of lies in trying to extract opiates. When I went to see him in the hospital this morning revealing that the tests confirmed that he did not have a kidney stone and so he would not be getting more pain medication and that he would be discharged from the hospital, he shouted at me: "hope all your kids get cancer and die in front of you, you fat sack of shit...I hope all your kids get cancer and die in your arms"

Leaving there to go see another patient, an nondescript young man was running for the elevator and I pushed the button to hold the door for him. His reply was "Thanks Gramps I did not think you could move that fast."

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first was made out of anger; the second out of total disrespect. I think the second would have infuriated me. Can't stand these millenial a$$holes.

Millennials are hitting their 40's and their Peletrons are only helping that crisis a bit.

They still have to be told not to drink car battery acid or let their kids eat Tide Pods.

Gen Z can't stand the self-absorbed pretentious fucks either.

Why do you care what some young punk and a drug addict think about you?

“I don’t care what you think about me. I don’t think about you at all.”

— Coco Chanel

I did not care what they said, but the tone and vitriol was disturbing and bothersome and as the question asks, disheartening. . The words themselves were rude and in the first case, would have been incomprehensible for me to imagine anyone saying. it is bothersome because as we go about our lives, we are faced with people who are so desperate and so thoughtless as to say these things. That one would not be disheartened by these statements suggests that perhaps we have become inured to the outrageousness of these kind of indignities. I have heard worse and had worse directed at me, shrugging it off to an acceptance that this is just the world we live in is a sad commentary on how far we have fallen.

I find the first comment disheartening. Not because you would feel affected for that hatred, but because it is disheartening to see a human being turned into that by his addiction.

The second one, it sounds to me like a friendly, thankful and joyful comment. He recognized his mistake. His preconceptions about what someone with your looks can do were wrong, and he celebrates his mistake and thanks you.

Having worked with those afflicted with addiction , I am never surprised by what they may say or do. In the case of the young man, at some point, we were all afflicted with immaturity and the arrogance of youth.

"You wouldn’t return a kick to a mule, he said, or a bite to a dog. You’d just move on. You say, “Oh, that’s what dogs and mules do.” -- The Stoics

I can find no less offensiveness to either. But I do sense that you perform your job competently and with compassion. Even though we disagree on some topics here, I’d be honored and fortunate to be in your competent care.

I had a patient who became very angry that he was caught in a number of lies in trying to extract opiates. When I went to see him in the hospital this morning revealing that the tests confirmed that he did not have a kidney stone and so he would not be getting more pain medication and that he would be discharged from the hospital, he shouted at me: "hope all your kids get cancer and die in front of you, you fat sack of shit...I hope all your kids get cancer and die in your arms"

Leaving there to go see another patient, an nondescript young man was running for the elevator and I pushed the button to hold the door for him. His reply was "Thanks Gramps I did not think you could move that fast."

Probably best to laugh off both of these situations. One would have to be a bit nuts to care what either of them thinks. Getting riled up over the actions of low-lifes won't do anyone any good. I'm kind of curious, though, how does one end up being admitted to the hospital for pain control of ureteral stones when one doesn't have ureteral stones? Wouldn't that be figured out easily enough before the patient is admitted (how long does a CT take, and wouldn't that be done if the pain were that excruciating)? I hope the first patient's problem list is updated to warn other healthcare personnel. These days with Epic and Care Everywhere, it's getting difficult to go tricking one hospital staff and on to the next when the gig is up.

I find the first comments the ravings of a drug addict and I wouldn’t take any personal notice of them.

The second I would not be offended and just chalk up to youth. I don’t think he intended to be offensive, it just came out awkwardly.

Gramps is decidedly not a term of endearment in American English, certainly not for a stranger.

He was being a punk.

Gramps is decidedly not a term of endearment in American English, certainly not for a stranger.

He was being a punk.

How interesting. In English speaking Canada, gramps is a term of endearment when used in a family context.

To call a stranger “gramps” depending on the context could be construed as an ageist slight.

Well, I am not sure either person is a "low-life."

I would more sympathy for the first gentleman, having been hooked on Xanax myself

Yet, hopefully, you never said to anyone "hope all your kids get cancer and die in front of you, you fat sack of shit...I hope all your kids get cancer and die in your arms". Or did you?

As someone who had multiple episodes of kidney stones many years ago, including several operations to bust them up and or remove them surgically, I was often prescribed opiates in case I had an attack at home in the middle of the night. I only used them sparingly, like 1 or 2 pills during an attack and never afterwards. I rarely take even aspirin or Tylenol so the effects of the Oxycodone on me were amazing, like floating on a cloud. But I never got hooked on them. I still have about 20 of the 2 dozen pills I was last prescribed in 2007.

Yet, hopefully, you never said to anyone "hope all your kids get cancer and die in front of you, you fat sack of shit...I hope all your kids get cancer and die in your arms". Or did you?

I served in the United States Army in South Vietnam for a year. I am hardly afraid of angry words