Expressing a concern for Guy Fawkes/daddy

Cooper
This topic is 1147 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, palliative care is not good news......shoot......but am thinking about him everyday.....

as always, thanks for your time with all this, @Cooper .....sounds like the longtime friend from Washington state who is handling some of the affairs may be a good person in all this.....

EDIT: thanks for the comments on palliative care below.....maybe not quite as bad as I'd thought.....

Edited by azdr0710

Palliative Care is better than Hospice, just trying to be positive

Yes, I have known people considered palliative who have lived for many years. My understanding in Canada is that it means specific treatments are not being given with the intent to cure (though they may still have that effect), whereas comfort care or hospice care is for those whose time is drawing near and are being administered meds for the sole purpose of pain relief, sedation and/or anxiety.

Palliative care, most often, is an end of life treatment to ease pain. It's a broad category, but it's most frequently employed when pain management rather than recovery is the focus. I hope Daddy pulls through this, but the news is not hopeful. He has my best wishes and prayers. And Cooper has my gratitude for being a positive force for Daddy when he needed one.

Update: Monday, 3.22.

Called the hospital today to check up on Guy Fawkes/daddy. He did open his eyes but was unresponsive to any noises or movements. No other health changes. He’s now in “Palliative Care” and the DNR order was signed.

Let’s continue to keep daddy in our thoughts/prayer, and sending good karma and vibes.

Cooper

Cooper,

Thank you for the update. Should we assume that Daddy is still on the ventilator, or have I missed a post where he was weaned off?

Gman

Cooper,

Thank you for the update. Should we assume that Daddy is still on the ventilator, or have I missed a post where he was weaned off?

Gman

That's a good question. If he's going to be kept on a ventilator, I'd guess they'd be putting in a tracheostomy if they haven't already. Sometimes even those on palliative care stay on ventilators.

That's a good question. If he's going to be kept on a ventilator, I'd guess they'd be putting in a tracheostomy if they haven't already. Sometimes even those on palliative care stay on ventilators.

@Unicorn, I asked about the tracheostomy. Although the doctor discussed it with the advocate, as of this AM, it wasn’t performed.

If anything changes, I’ll post it.

Cooper

Edited by Cooper

@Unicorn, I asked about the tracheotomy. Although the doctor discussed it with the advocate, as of this AM, it wasn’t done.

If anything changes, I’ll post it.

Cooper - I'm so glad you are able to have this rapport with the doctors. I hope and trust that they recognize/respect your friendship with Daddy and continue to keep you updated without any issues.

@Gar1eth, Yes, still on the ventilator. Sadly, no change.

Cooper

Thanks so much, @Cooper, for your support of Daddy. You've been a lifesaver, no doubt.

One blessing is that Covid cases and deaths in Nevada are down 80% from post-Christmas peaks. I can't find any info on ICU capacity, but I'd expect that enough ICU beds, healthcare workers and ventilators are available to support the high level of care Daddy is receiving.

He's had some good breaks so far, your intervention being a major one. We can hope good fortune stays on his side.

Thanks so much, @Cooper, for your support of Daddy. You've been a lifesaver, no doubt.

One blessing is that Covid cases and deaths in Nevada are down 80% from post-Christmas peaks. I can't find any info on ICU capacity, but I'd expect that enough ICU beds, healthcare workers and ventilators are available to support the high level of care Daddy is receiving.

He's had some good breaks so far, your intervention being a major one. We can hope good fortune stays on his side.

This site is what I use to look at covid numbers per state. Looks like Nevada is at 67% ICU capacity used right now so not that bad.

https://covidactnow.org/us/nevada-nv/?s=1689618

Eh, are ICUs normally nearly that full though? I was under the impression COVID patients on ventilators require a lot more hands on attention than the typical ICU patient. I visited my sister in the ICU a few times (not COVID, recovering from sepsis) and tbh staff weren't in the room nearly as much as I expected they'd be during my visits.

Eh, are ICUs normally nearly that full though? I was under the impression COVID patients on ventilators require a lot more hands on attention than the typical ICU patient. I visited my sister in the ICU a few times (not COVID, recovering from sepsis) and tbh staff weren't in the room nearly as much as I expected they'd be during my visits.

I’ve generally understood 70-75% to be normal

Hello everyone,

I decided to put my political differences with @Guy Fawkes in a hiatus, considering the circumstances. I have missed many of you, and I am very sorry for the sad turn that Daddy's live has suffered. Whatever our differences are, they are secondary right now.

Since a friend texted me about Daddy's accident, I have been luring the site to check @Cooper 's updates. I join you all on hoping for a recovering.

Update: Friday, March 26th: called the hospital to get an update on Guy’s condition. It’s now 1 month since he was found unconscious on the floor of his apartment.

Some changes from Monday’s update.

He now has the tracheotomy replacing the tube down his throat. He’s no longer being sedated or receiving any pain medication. He’s unresponsive to any commands and hasn’t opened his eyes this week. His blood pressure remains high. I asked about his organs. This is the 1st time I was told he’s on dialysis. He’s still on the ventilator and his skin sores are not healing.

This medical report was difficult for me to hear and I’m sure it’s difficult for all to read. We’ve been keeping Guy Fawkes/daddy in our thoughts and hoping for the best. As I mentioned earlier, he’s been unconscious for a month and the reports haven’t shown any signs of recovering.

If anyone wants to visit Guy in the hospital, please send me a PM for the details.

Wish I had better news to share.

Cooper

Update: Friday, March 26th: called the hospital to get an update on Guy’s condition. It’s now 1 month since he was found unconscious on the floor of his apartment.

Some changes from Monday’s update.

He now has the tracheotomy replacing the tube down his throat. He’s no longer being sedated or receiving any pain medication. He’s unresponsive to any commands and hasn’t opened his eyes this week. His blood pressure remains high. I asked about his organs. This is the 1st time I was told he’s on dialysis. He’s still on the ventilator and his skin sores are not healing.

This medical report was difficult for me to hear and I’m sure it’s difficult for all to read. We’ve been keeping Guy Fawkes/daddy in our thoughts and hoping for the best. As I mentioned earlier, he’s been unconscious for a month and the reports haven’t shown any signs of recovering.

If anyone wants to visit Guy in the hospital, please send me a PM for the details.

Wish I had better news to share.

Cooper

Cooper, thank you for your ongoing efforts to check on Daddy's status and to keep us apprised. The dialysis news is concerning, but not surprising. My father required dialysis the last few years of his life and I learned that the kidneys and lungs are the two organs that do most of the cleansing of toxins so if one is compromised, the other often falters from strain. At least dialysis, though debilitating, is an effective means of cleansing toxins. Ultimately, though, the lungs need to do their part. I also know, as my mom was diabetic, that diabetes can compromise the kidneys. So Daddy has at least two factors contributing to kidney failure.

Most concerning to me is his enduring lack of responsiveness. It does sound, though, that he is getting every opportunity to rebound. That leaves room for hope.

Based on my experience with my father, I know that sedatives can depress the function of one's organs, so ceasing the sedation is a means to give Daddy a better/purer chance of having his body do the most it's capable of doing.

While depressing, this news at least, for me, suggests his doctors are not writing him off and are doing all sorts of sensible things to give him the best chance of pulling through.

Again, thank you for all you have done.