What do you regret most in your life?

7829V
This topic is 1195 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Self-Actualization is key in enlightenment sir.

Our exchange started because of your dismissing the trauma of a victim of sexual assault in another thread (AOC).

You are actually the bully you so vehemently need to confront.

No sir, the exchange began because someone misrepresented her words. Deceit is never acceptable and must be confronted and corrected.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not following through when I contemplated suicide in my teens.

Too damn funny. I knew there was a reason I liked you!

“If you’re 15....and NOT suicidal....you’re just stupid”.

Live and let live is my motto now

And that’s why we get along.

Self-Actualization is key in enlightenment sir.

1.) I don’t have any personal feelings towards you.

Responding twice to the same post.....is the first sign that your taking this place too seriously.

Passing up opportunities to explore my sexuality in college.

Yeah, I had the same experience in undergraduate school. Struggling with my sexuality and not exploring my gay side except through reading and seeing some gay films.

Graduate school was a different experience. While still closeted, I started having sex with guys and it started the process of my accepting who I was.

Even after graduation and starting my work life, it took another 4 years before finally ending relationships of a physical kind with women. So I sort of regret the amount of time it took to become comfortable with my sexuality.

But the times were different in the 60’s and 70’s when all of this was happening. I imagine my life would have taken a different trajectory had I been born 20 years later.

I always wanted to live in Paris. Should have done more to make that happen.

Have you ever read ‘A Moveable Feast’ by Ernest Hemingway? He did move to Paris after WWI and stayed about 7 years or so. He found his literary voice there. He was also smart to leave when the going was still good.

He found other places to live that inspired him to write great fiction and appealed to a broader audience.

Still, I can appreciate your regret. Paris has so much to offer.

I still have a lot of life to live (or I sure hope I still do), but so far,

• I wish I have accepted who I am a long time ago.
  • I wish I have stood up and stood my ground against individuals with privilege who were blatantly using their power to abuse and repress other underrepresented individuals. Having worked in professional services as a minority, I already felt the pressure of having to prove myself in a predominantly white-male corporate structure. I wish I had spoken up even when I had hesitations on the psychological safety of the corporate setting I was in.
  • I wish I was not so sheltered growing up, so I might have developed a stronger mental and emotional fortitude to brush away negativities that others can do just so effortlessly. I am still working on it.

Yeah, I had the same experience in undergraduate school. Struggling with my sexuality and not exploring my gay side except through reading and seeing some gay films.

Graduate school was a different experience. While still closeted, I started having sex with guys and it started the process of my accepting who I was.

Even after graduation and starting my work life, it took another 4 years before finally ending relationships of a physical kind with women. So I sort of regret the amount of time it took to become comfortable with my sexuality.

But the times were different in the 60’s and 70’s when all of this was happening. I imagine my life would have taken a different trajectory had I been born 20 years later.

I wouldn't be sure of that. It was kind of a mindfuck to hit puberty and realize I was gay just as the AIDS crisis hit.

I studied dance for about 15 years and competed in several ballroom competitions (and won two of them). Alas, my lovely partner left to pursue other interests and I got bogged down with a career and it all faded away. I really miss it now and then. Great fun, great exercise and met some amazing people through it.

The first time I heard the Piaf recording was on the jukebox in a gay bar in Greenwich Village called the Fawn, in 1962. I couldn't get it out of my head, and I decided then and there that it would be my theme song. I haven't regretted that either.

God, were you of a drinking age in 1962??

?Yes, I was. (The legal drinking age was 18 in New York in those days, and I was over 18.)

Well I remember when NY had that low drinking age of 18. A friend of mine‘s family had a cottage in the Thousand Islands in Ontario, where the drinking age was 21, so we would drive over to Alexandria Bay, NY, to drink. There was a bridge with a customs control but in those days things were so lax that crossing the border, even a little tipsy, was not a problem. This was around 1964/65.

Have you ever read ‘A Moveable Feast’ by Ernest Hemingway? He did move to Paris after WWI and stayed about 7 years or so. He found his literary voice there. He was also smart to leave when the going was still good.

He found other places to live that inspired him to write great fiction and appealed to a broader audience.

Still, I can appreciate your regret. Paris has so much to offer.

Funny you should ask, as I just checked that book out of the library.

What I regret most is never having known what it is that I wanted to do in life. What I admired and envied most in my schoolmates is that at very early ages most of them knew what they wanted to do in life and how to get there.

To this day, if I were granted the power to choose any profession and be the best at it, I would not be able to confidently make a choice.

While this failing has not caused me any serious depression, it is a life-long regret.

What I regret most is never having known what it is that I wanted to do in life. What I admired and envied most in my schoolmates is that at very early ages most of them knew what they wanted to do in life and how to get there.

To this day, if I were granted the power to choose any profession and be the best at it, I would not be able to confidently make a choice.

While this failing has not caused me any serious depression, it is a life-long regret.

Well said. One of my brothers wanted to be a doctor as far back as he can remember, and the other brother was hell-bent on becoming a lawyer in the same fashion. They both succeeded. I bounced around and around from one career type to another (although happy and successful) but if I had it to do over again, jeez, there are a dozen other things I’d like to try. I remember a career counselor telling me one time that my main problem was having “too many” interests. Duh.