Dog or cat person?

Mjonis
This topic is 772 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

True, cats do none of these things. But we invited them to live with us for another, very important reason. When humans began to shift from being hunter-gatherers to living in settlements, the storage of food became important. Especially as civilization developed toward a division of labor instead of everyone hunting, or finding food, we needed to safely maintain stocks of food (think of Pharaoh's granaries in the Bible). One of the chief obstacles to that need was the widespread presence of vermin, mice and rats mainly, who ate and despoiled stored grain. It was cats who kept their numbers low enough that we could continue to diversify and grow as a society. In order to do that, cats' natural independent hunting instincts were needed. Dogs safeguarded humans and hunted with them. Cats made civilization as we came to understand it possible.

<-- Clickable link.

Also note that in ancient Egypt:

Anubis (Dog): God of death and the afterlife. He would attend the scale for the weighing of your heart and determine if your soul was allowed to enter the realm of the dead and ascend to a heavenly existence.

Bastet (Cat): Goddess of perfume, music, arts, and warfare. Responsible for bloodshed and carnage. She could doom a region with plague, and natural disasters. They called her "The Lady of Dread / Slaughter".

You can see the difference in the roles of each deity.

Edited by orville

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Why have a best man for your wedding when you can have a best mutt?

A Michigan couple proved every dog does indeed have his day after the groom made their pet pooch his “best boy” at their wedding. They also posted photos of the groomsdog on Facebook.

“We could not have asked for a better wedding day,” Shane Hudson, 34, told Caters News Agency after marrying Amanda Hudson, 32, with their 3-year-old, tuxedo-wearing canine Weller standing beside them at the altar.

The Hazel Park residents had always wanted their pet, a mastiff-Staffordshire bull terrier mix, to be part of their big day but couldn’t decide on his role. Initially tapping Weller to be the ring bearer, the pup-loving paramours “ultimately landed on him being the ‘best boy’ because, well, he is,” said Shane.

“Weller is our world,” fawned the salesman, who adopted the dog as a puppy and reportedly brings him anywhere the newlyweds can take him.

Thankfully, the Hudsons managed to nail down a dog-friendly venue for the occasion, and the party animal was able to accompany the couple as they said “I do,” Caters reported. Weller then joined the afterparty, whereupon he lived it up late into the night with the guests until he was dog-tired.

“The day was absolutely perfect, we have some nontraditional tastes and really focused on the celebration of our love for each other,” gushed Shane of their paw-fect knot-tying ceremony.

Naturally, dubbing a pooch “best man” might seem neglectful of lifelong human friends; however, the other guests were allegedly amenable to the Hudsons’ decision.

“We are those annoying dog people who post pictures and videos of Weller all over our social media, so Weller has a mini fan base with our friends and family,” Shane said.

Not to mention that the couple “worked very hard” on the mutt’s training ahead of the wedding to ensure he didn’t cause a scene. Shane added that he and his wife are still “getting compliments on how well-behaved he was.”

https://nypost.com/2022/01/20/best-man-dog-steals-the-show-at-couples-wedding/

dog-wedding.jpg

CATERS_DOG_IS_BEST_MAN_AT_WEDDING_009_3476313-1.jpg

I like both, so does my husband.  We have two cats who we simply adore.  We don't have a dog because they require so much more care and attention than cats.  We dont like the idea of keeping a dog cooped up in the house all day except for walks.  When we move to the country and can let the dog out, we will get one.

9 hours ago, Charlie said:

My best friend loved animals, and never passed up a visit to a zoo, but unfortunately he was allergic to cats and dogs, so he settled for hamsters as pets.

I used to love zoos when I was a kid. During my Elementary School years I would dream of becoming a zoologist, and was a fan of a tv show called Daktari.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFnr9FC04gtcKlTxZMrx1

Hari Rhodes was probably my first "love" for a Black man.

My love for zoos did not last and soon they became depressing to me. What I meant by "I am a zoo man" is that I love all animals, not only cats and dogs. I do not want them in the zoo,

Edited by latbear4blk

4 hours ago, Rudynate said:

I like both, so does my husband.  We have two cats who we simply adore.  We don't have a dog because they require so much more care and attention than cats.  We dont like the idea of keeping a dog cooped up in the house all day except for walks.  When we move to the country and can let the dog out, we will get one.

Agree. Very easy to adore 🐈❣️ cats

3 hours ago, latbear4blk said:

I used to love zoos when I was a kid. During my Elementary School years I would dream of becoming a zoologist, and was a fan of a tv show called Daktari.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFnr9FC04gtcKlTxZMrx1

Hari Rhodes was probably my first "love" for a Black man.

My love for zoos did not last and soon they became depressing to me. What I meant by "I am a zoo man" is that I love all animals, not only cats and dogs. I do not want them in the zoo,

How about Greg Morris on Mission Impossible?

On 1/28/2022 at 11:29 AM, Rod Hagen said:

Dogs more, but cats can be great.

My cats are my babies. They are friendly, have nice personalities, and are very cuddly. However, many aren't. In my experience, it depends in large part on the owner and how they treat their cats. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 6:11 AM, latbear4blk said:

I have a cat, but I am not a dog or a cat person. I am a zoo person. 

So that's what that aroma is...

Let's see a cat do this...

An 81-year-old Florida man who struggled to stay afloat after his wheelchair rolled into a lake has his beloved dog to thank for heroically summoning help during the ordeal.

Harry Smith took the pooch, Sarah Jane, for a walk near the lake near their home on Southwest Twig Avenue in Port St. Lucie last week when his electric wheelchair lost traction, police said in a statement.

It slid down an embankment and Smith was ejected into the water, where he fought to keep afloat.

Sensing that her owner was in danger, Sarah Jane began barking loudly, alerting a couple of bystanders across the street who flagged a police officer who happened to be driving by.

“Officer Doty exited his patrol vehicle and observed Mr. Smith was submerged up to his neck in the water,” police said.

Good dog: Sarah Jane saved Harry Smith at the last minute. Good dog! Sarah Jane barked for help as Harry Smith into the Port St. Lucie lake.  

The two bystanders and the officer quickly joined forces to pull Smith out of the water and onto the bank, where he received medical attention and allowed to return home, police said.

“Due to his electric wheelchair being damaged from falling in the water, Officer Doty and St. Lucie County Fire District assisted by pushing him back to his house,” according to the statement.

“We are thankful for Mr. Smith’s dog and the 2 bystanders that helped save his life! And as the saying remains true…A man’s best friend is his dog,” police added.

'Everybody in this neighborhood loves her,' Smith said of Sarah Jane. ‘Everybody in this neighborhood loves her,’ Smith said of his heroic hound, Sarah Jane. WPTV-TV

Edward Suhling, one of the good Samaritans, told WPTV: “When we looked over here the dog was splashing in the water so we both ran over here and I jumped in the water.

“Only his head was above the water. The wheelchair was in the water,” he added.

Smith said he gave the hero dog a treat after the rescue.

The police officer and the bystander helped wheel Smith home. Officer Doty and a bystander helped wheel Smith home.  

“She’s such a good dog. Everybody in this neighborhood loves her, they all look out for her,” he told the station. “I love her, always have, always will.”

Two days after the incident, the officer capped off an exciting week by welcoming his newborn son into the world, WPTV said.

Edited by samhexum
Just for the hell of it