Dog or cat person?

Mjonis
This topic is 772 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

...If I was lying down on the couch, she was lying down on the floor next to it. Every night, when I went to bed, she would come in my room and jump up on the chair and get comfy. Every morning, without fail, she would be lying on the bed next to my legs when I woke....

That's my cat Linus, except he jumps on the bed and gets comfy.

I am basically a dog person, but the only cat I ever housed (one does not own a cat) was the pet I had the longest--14 years. He was a black Persian, and the most laid back personality I have ever seen in an animal. Dogs usually demand more attention than cats, and sometimes I feel like my life is controlled by my dog's scheduled needs, whereas my cat never needed anything except to be fed and have his litter box cleaned. A well-trained dog is great when one lives in a relatively dry, temperate climate, but when I have a dog who needs to be walked at 10pm in a snowstorm or at noon when the temperature is 120, I remember how much easier it is to have a cat. However, when I want to snuggle or be comforted, I would much rather have a dog.

I'm an animal lover in general, but without question for me, dogs. I had a dog from the time I was 12 - 24 years old who I swear was part human. We'd show her something once and she got it. We'd keep her cans of dog food lined up outside a cabinet in the basement. Every night at dinner we'd tell her to go get her food. She'd head down the steps, pick up one of the cans, carry it upstairs and drop it next to her bowl. I went through some medical issues as a child that required me to be bed-ridden for several months. She became very protective and it was difficult to get her to leave my side.

She also had a distinct "don't fuck with me" bark that was much more ferocious than her normal bark. That bark only appeared a handful of times, but it was when she sensed true danger, like the person who banged on our door at 3AM, an intruder behind our house in the middle of the night, and every time she saw the troublemaker who lived down the street, who we found out later, threw a heavy planter into our backyard trying to injure her.

One of the worst days of my life is when we had her put down. I still remember her eyes looking at me as it was being done. I cried just as much, if not more, as when my parents passed.

I love both. (But I’ll admit that I’m more “pets over humans”) .....

For those that say that dogs are more loyal, I disagree. However, I think that the loyalty is different.

Dogs give their loyalty unconditionally. A cat’s loyalty is conditional, and is returned based on the care that you give them. Many humans like the power and control they have over dogs.... with cats, the exchange of power is different, and the ego of your average, typical, narcissistic human, can’t handle that.

Many humans dislike cats, for many assumed reasons. Ironically, the “traits”, they seem to hate about cats are subconsciously a reflection of their own traits and faults. I had a former associate who hated cats because he felt they were sneaky and dishonest. Well this guy was a pathological liar, and regularly cheated on his husband. lol... He also got a kick out of being domineering to his dog.

The love you give to cats you get back in return. Dogs give their love pretty unconditionally. I‘m lucky to have both. They somehow all know when I come home waiting at the door with their toys. When I leave for work, they are waiting at their food bowls for a goodbye treat. At night, they all climb into bed when I come out of the shower as they know it is bedtime :)

Yeah, right. I was bitten several times by a German Shepherd when I was a child. The dog owner gave me a lot of money to not report the freaking ?.

What a horrible childhood experience. While compensation was warranted, I hope not reporting the attack did not endanger other children in the area.

Growing up we always had cats because my dad's maternal grandmother told him when he was a child that cats scared off evil spirits. I've always presumed that people who hate cats are no good and I avoid those people as much as possible.

As for cats being uncaring, that is simply not true. One cat stayed with my mom on her deathbed and would only move when a hospice nurse came to see her. On the morning my mom died he was licking her hand as if to comfort her as she took her last breaths.

There was a very old cartoon that I tried to find but I just couldn’t. In the first frame, a man was giving praise to his dog. The thought bubble for the dog was “I I I I I I Rover I I I I I I “. The second frame was the same man praising his cat. The cat’s thought bubble was “________________________ “.

Some days I think that’s true.