Dog or cat person?

Mjonis
This topic is 760 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Or are you bi and like both? LOL

I’m a dog person. I don’t like cats. I talk smack about them. LOL. But I don’t condone animal cruelty even though I say cats are tasty.

I love dogs because they give you unconditional love. I had dogs growing up and I had my own dog for 15 years. Was very traumatic having to put him to sleep.

Anyway was kinda curious

the lesbians I know are cat people and the gay men I know are dog people.

Wonder what the percentages are? LOL

Dog but I love cats too, they're different.

I know that people love their cats, but I recently read an article stating that scientists believe that cats are only semi-domesticated at best, and not truly domesticated as dogs are. That is, cats "merely tolerate domesticity" and basically only hang out with humans b/c we feed them. In fact, if you didn't feed them they would likely survive on their own since they retain the same hunting skills as their ancestors.

"Dogs have been by man’s side for tens of thousands of years, and have come to rely heavily on the symbiotic relationship with humans to survive. But cats entered into the human sphere relatively more recently, probably around 5,000 to 10,000 years ago, and can still do well without someone opening a can for them." --Smithsonian Magazine, April 30, 2015

So, love your cats, but remember that they're only a few missed meals away from hopping the next freight train to Cleveland.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/ask-smithsonian-are-cats-domesticated-180955111/

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/11/man-cat-dog-best-friend-pet/382740/

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-cats-can-never-be-fully-domesticated

Edited by JayCeeKy

Brussels Griffon’s

Yes! We had a Brussels Griffon and we joked that she was half dog/half cat since she had a number of cat-like characteristics. People would stop and say "what is that thing" and I'd say she was a kitty dog. She was completely insane and I loved her. She also appeared to have nine lives, as she cheated death so many times, each time to be resurrected from near-death.

I would have answered sooner, but one of my cats was snuggled on my lap and the other was rubbing his face on mine. Now, what was that about cats not being affectionate?

While not a universal truth, most cats respond to the way they are treated. All of my cats have responded to their names, loved attention, liked to play, and wanted to be near me. I give them lots of attention and affection and they respond very favorably. Many people think cats are aloof and so they do not pay attention to them. The cat responds in kind. That's not to say EVERY cat is affectionate, just like every dog isn't, but the seven cats I've had over the past 30 years have all been loving companions. I'm not counting the feral, as she was my cat's cat. She loved him but was not so fond of me. She also hated the interlopers kittens I adopted.

I would have answered sooner, but one of my cats was snuggled on my lap and the other was rubbing his face on mine. Now, what was that about cats not being affectionate?

While not a universal truth, most cats respond to the way they are treated. All of my cats have responded to their names, loved attention, liked to play, and wanted to be near me. I give them lots of attention and affection and they respond very favorably. Many people think cats are aloof and so they do not pay attention to them. The cat responds in kind. That's not to say EVERY cat is affectionate, just like every dog isn't, but the seven cats I've had over the past 30 years have all been loving companions. I'm not counting the feral, as she was my cat's cat. She loved him but was not so fond of me. She also hated the interlopers kittens I adopted.

Agreed, just like people they're affectionate if they want to.

Agreed, just like people they're affectionate if they want to.

That's so true. They also don't like being picked up (not that I let THAT stop me). Apparently, they associate being picked up with being captured by a predator.

Having experienced both when younger (not actually my pets), dog person.

Me and my older brother’s cat never warmed up to each other.

Years later, same brother, who no longer lived at home, got a dog. It tore apart his apartment when he was at work. He talked my parents into taking the dog. If I was lying down on the couch, she was lying down on the floor next to it. Every night, when I went to bed, she would come in my room and jump up on the chair and get comfy. Every morning, without fail, she would be lying on the bed next to my legs when I woke.

I still miss that dog today.