LGBTQI+ When Did This Happen?

Lucky
This topic is 1425 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was unaware until recently that the acronym for the gay, lesbian, and trans community had been expanded to LGBTQI+

It's my opinion- and that's all it is- that cramming us together into some lengthy acronym makes it easier for the media to avoid

saying "gay" or "lesbian." With the added QI+ it complicates it further. I see myself as gay, not LGBTQI+ .

Naturally, I am happy to hear what you think. Am I just an old fossil?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter to me. I've even seen additional letters added -- another Q for queer, A for asexual, sometimes a second A for ally and P for pansexual. And then there is LGBTQIA+, the "+" referring to a number of different gender identity and sexual orientation labels across the spectrum. Acronyms like these are easy enough to use in writing, but it does become unwieldy when speaking. I doubt there could ever be a consensus of a single term to use because inevitably some people will feel left out of whatever label is used.

The intent is to make it more inclusive (says Captain Obvious ;) ), the acronym has been getting longer for years. I remember when Q for "questioning" (isn't it?) was added.

Years ago when we were discussing names for a group I was in, a name that was a pun on "homo" was rejected by lesbians in the group because they thought "homo" was male-oriented. Thoughts? Granted, I think we're low on lesbian participation in this forum...

Lucky I agree with you. We are old fossils now. I like when things were kept simple. I'm a Gay Man Period.

Then you no doubt resist the effort to call us queer. The media is using that word increasingly instead of gay, or even the acronym above.

I generally identify as gay, but will sometimes use queer as well partly as a way of reclaiming that word from being a slur. For the most part everyone only identifies with one of the initials and the whole LGBT or LGBTQI+ or any version of that is an omnibus term for all the groups collectively. There are some issues that affect each of the parts of that collective identity and fewer that affect only some of them. It's important to have terms that include all of us when talking about us collectively rather than talking about, say gay rights. Of course some of the conversations are about one of the initials, so discussions about trans rights shouldn't be watered down by calling them LGBTQI+ rights. I'm not concerned about which version is used, and nor am I worried about queer being used as a shorthand collective term (I recognise that some people specifically identify as queer and may be concerned about it being given a wider meaning than what they see it as).

Just to clarify: I don't think anyone is suggesting that an individual needs to use a broader term when referring to themselves. If you are a gay man then you are still a gay man unless you want to call yourself something different. The broader terminology is meant to be used when referring to the community as a whole. If one writes LGBT this specifically means lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender; what about those individuals for whom one of those labels doesn't apply? That's why the acronym has been expanded.

I was unaware until recently that the acronym for the gay, lesbian, and trans community had been expanded to LGBTQI+

It's my opinion- and that's all it is- that cramming us together into some lengthy acronym makes it easier for the media to avoid

saying "gay" or "lesbian." With the added QI+ it complicates it further. I see myself as gay, not LGBTQI+ .

Re: your question--well, yeah. But as a fellow fossil, I wonder how many older gay men really identify themselves as part of that big tent. I can remember a time when many of them even had to be coaxed to join with lesbians, much less the rest of the letters and symbols. However, the TQI+ need a larger group to belong to for more political weight, and the LGB are the only logical group to join. Besides, a seven letter acronym does give the media a more politically correct label to use than PERVERT.

I'm afraid if I don't endorse the expanded abbreviation I'll be referred to as non accepting or non inclusive, and that's not me. But at some point we need to draw the line, I don't know what it is but please how do we educate or discuss with non LGBTQ2S+ what we are when I don't even understand it.

It's the rabbit warren of identity politics

Lucky I agree with you. We are old fossils now. I like when things were kept simple. I'm a Gay Man Period.

For me, I use gay, lesbian, or trans. If you were born a man but then want to be a woman (or vice-versa) then you are trans. If you have a guy's dick in your mouth but will also fuck a woman then you are bi. Why complicate things? ;)

In 2018 I attended a local Gay Pride assembly during Pride Month and was baffled when hearing the list "LGBTQI+" when one of the speakers asked for the identity of those in attendance. ...can't remember if I stood up or not, but to date, I do remember thinking-- what is this, and when did it occur.

When I was in my early 20s, finding my way, and men who were the age I am now acted “out of touch”, “indignant” or “impatient” with what was new and significant to the younger set were dismissed as dinosaurs and recipients of the degrading eye roll. Yes I was guilty of that behavior at times.

Today I make every effort to embrace what’s new at least in as much as I appreciate what our young brethren bring to the table and don’t dismiss any of it out of hand.

Just as I take pride in the battles our generation fought I applaud the brave, often brash, openness of the younger generation.

I'm afraid if I don't endorse the expanded abbreviation I'll be referred to as non accepting or non inclusive, and that's not me. But at some point we need to draw the line, I don't know what it is but please how do we educate or discuss with non LGBTQ2S+ what we are when I don't even understand it.

Get educated?