I COULD CARE LESS about I COULDN'T CARE LESS

samhexum

• 4 weeks later...

Not a grammatical pet peeve, but when I‘m with someone talking and then they say, ”Listen....”.... is quite insulting. Am i not listening and chatting with you right now??? I don’t understand why people have to tell me to listen when i already am.....lol. English is not my first language. I know, in context, what they are about to tell me is very important or critical... but i just find it a little “extra”.

I wonder whether the person saying “Listen…” was a native Spanish speaker? This is one of the things I found most strange, and difficult to use, when learning (Castilian) Spanish in Spain.

There it is commonplace to say to a person “Listen“ or “Listen to me”. It was explained to me as a device to alert the other person that some important information was coming next

Not a grammatical pet peeve, but when I‘m with someone talking and then they say, ”Listen....”.... is quite insulting. Am i not listening and chatting with you right now??? I don’t understand why people have to tell me to listen when i already am.....lol. English is not my first language. I know, in context, what they are about to tell me is very important or critical... but i just find it a little “extra”.

I wonder whether the person saying “Listen…” was a native Spanish speaker? This is one of the things I found most strange, and difficult to use, when learning (Castilian) Spanish in Spain.

There it is commonplace to say to a person “Listen“ or “Listen to me”. It was explained to me as a device to alert the other person that some important information was coming next

How insulting... Whenever I'm conversing with anyone, I take it as a given that they are aware that at any moment I am likely to say something brilliant and life-changing, and that they are hanging on every word during the conversation and don't need verbal clues to listen intently.

How insulting... Whenever I'm conversing with anyone, I take it as a given that they are aware that at any moment I am likely to say something brilliant and life-changing, and that they are hanging on every word during the conversation and don't need verbal clues to listen intently.

Yes, it is insulting to assume that our friable friendship could crumble upon one slight misuderstanding that may arise if I don‘t hang onto each and every word you utter.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Dozens of British students on a trip to the US were left stranded in the country after their hotel mistakenly shredded their passports.

“Our staff are always on hand to support Brits in trouble overseas, and we have been in close contact with this school to assist them,” a Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office spokesperson told the BBC. “We are processing their applications for emergency travel documents so the staff and children can return to the U.K. as quickly as possible.”

The group of high school students of Barr Beacon School on a ski trip in New Hampshire had to extend their trip by four days as they await emergency documents from the British Embassy.

Along with the four staff members leading the trip, around 42 passports were destroyed.

I guess they got REALLY bad performance reviews.

17 hours ago, samhexum said:

Dozens of British students on a trip to the US were left stranded in the country after their hotel mistakenly shredded their passports.

“Our staff are always on hand to support Brits in trouble overseas, and we have been in close contact with this school to assist them,” a Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office spokesperson told the BBC. “We are processing their applications for emergency travel documents so the staff and children can return to the U.K. as quickly as possible.”

The group of high school students of Barr Beacon School on a ski trip in New Hampshire had to extend their trip by four days as they await emergency documents from the British Embassy.

Along with the four staff members leading the trip, around 42 passports were destroyed.

I guess they got REALLY bad performance reviews.

And the error in word usage is... ? 

32 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Did the story explain how the error occurred? Was it a linguistic error?

No, it did not.

4 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

And the error in word usage is... ? 

The error was not explaining WHY the four staff members were destroyed.

How about situations where someone replaces a word they didn't hear correctly with a completely different word. Such as,"l was outside my spear of influence". Spear and sphere.

Or😓"Don't kick me to the curve" curve and curb

They kind of make sense. He who has the spear has the influence. The Curve is a mile and a half away. The curb is right here.

Or talking about fringe benefits, but calling them French benefits. As in my company has great French benefits. It makes sense because French benefits are quite good.

Edited by glennnnn

16 minutes ago, glennnnn said:

How about situations where someone replaces a word they didn't hear correctly with a completely different word. Such as,"l was outside my spear of influence". Spear and sphere.

Or😓"Don't kick me to the curve" curve and curb

They kind of make sense. He who has the spear has the influence. The Curve is a mile and a half away. The curb is right here.

For all intensive purposes, you may be right.

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

Even the Queen of Soul messed up with that one:

What? Who's Zooming Who is better than Who's Zooming Whom. The latter just doesn't ryhme properly.

In 1985  I was in Mexico with my boyfriend on a beach and ogling some cute American guys. One of their girlfriends got up and walked past me on her way to the ocean and sang, sotto voce, Who's Zooming Who.

1 hour ago, glennnnn said:

Then there's those who just mix the words up as when I was once told to take a short walk on a long pier.

File:Southend-On-Sea pier (Longest pier in the world) (5791710890).jpg -  Wikimedia Commons

If you take a short walk on the long pier, you'll miss the cultural center at the end.... 😢

Southend Pier Cultural Centre Opens to the Public

End of Southend Pier | Tony Worrall Photography | Flickr

Edited by Unicorn

17 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

What? Who's Zooming Who is better than Who's Zooming Whom. The latter just doesn't ryhme properly.

I guess I'm going to have to use more laughing emojis so that some people won't be confused as to when I'm joking (like most posts on this thread). It has been a long winter in Canada, eh?

82 Frozen Brain Illustrations & Clip Art - iStock

1 minute ago, Unicorn said:

I guess I'm going to have to use more laughing emojis so that some people won't be confused as to when I'm joking (like most posts on this thread). It has been a long winter in Canada, eh?

82 Frozen Brain Illustrations & Clip Art - iStock

I was saying that tongue in cheek. Should have used an emojis myself.

And actually the winter hasn't been too bad. So far.