I COULD CARE LESS about I COULDN'T CARE LESS

samhexum

12 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

...And actually the winter hasn't been too bad. So far.

I bet it's been sweltering... 😄

Canadian Flag Size? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

1 hour ago, arnemgreeves said:

Irony is lost on people. Hence “ I could care less” is the direct opposite of “ I couldn’t care less”. And let Americans have their own slangs. I could care less is better than “based” or whatever dumb shit they say. At least they have their own slangs unlike Canada. How come Australia has its own slangs but Canada doesn’t? Australia has the balls at least to try and ditch the Queen 

I have nothing against Canada or Australia just feeling cheeky. It’s true thiugh aid has fair dinkum and dunny Canada doesn’t. 

What?

9 hours ago, arnemgreeves said:

I don’t drink much. Just don’t control people and profess you’re wise. 

That reminds me of a rebuff Sir Winston Churchill once gave to a woman who commented to him that he was drunk: "Madam, at least, when I wake up in the morning, I'll be sober. You'll still be ugly.". If it's not the alcohol, it's permanent. 

On 3/7/2023 at 2:47 AM, arnemgreeves said:

Irony is lost on people. Hence “ I could care less” is the direct opposite of “ I couldn’t care less”. And let Americans have their own slangs. I could care less is better than “based” or whatever dumb shit they say. At least they have their own slangs unlike Canada. How come Australia has its own slangs but Canada doesn’t? Australia has the balls at least to try and ditch the Queen 

I have nothing against Canada or Australia just feeling cheeky. It’s true thiugh aid has fair dinkum and dunny Canada doesn’t. 

Au contraire mon frere :)

We have many expressions and words here in Canada that are considered slang - but we don't have the international exposure that American expressions have, nor do we travel and expose others to our language as much as Australians do.

Just some examples:

Canuck = Canadian

Washroom = Bathroom/Toilet

Loonie = Our $1 coin

Toonie = Our $2 coin

Toque (pronounced 'Tooke') = a knit cap

Two-Four = 24-pack of beer

Hydro = Electricity (ie hydro bill versus electricity bill)

Knapsack = Backpack

Chocolate Bar = Candy Bar 

Zed = Zee

Snowbirds = Canadians who spend the winters in warmer climates

Runners = Sneakers/Tennis Shoes

Parkade = Parking Garage

Mounties = Canadian police (Royal Canadian Mounted Police)

Mickey = Flask sized bottle of alcohol

Kerfuffle = a disagreement or fight

Keener = someone who is overeager and a suck-up to others

KD/Kraft Dinner = boxed macaroni and cheese

Homo milk = Whole milk

Hang a Larry = turn left

Hang a Roger = turn right

Gong Show = a situation or event that gets out of hand

Fill y'er boots = help yourself to as much as you want

Deke = to fake a move to deceive your opponent, particularly in hockey

Clicks = kilometeres 

Beauty/Beaut = referring to someone or something that is exceptionally good

Edited by CuriousByNature

On 3/8/2023 at 2:59 PM, CuriousByNature said:

Hydro = Electricity (ie hydro bill versus electricity bill)

Thank you for that!  I've heard that on Canadian TV series (Kim's Convenience, at least) and always assumed it meant the water bill.  Or maybe a separate sewage bill since I think I remember them referring to "water and hydro" bills.  Any idea where it comes from, is most electricity in Canada hydro-electricity?

13 minutes ago, poolboy48220 said:

Thank you for that!  I've heard that on Canadian TV series (Kim's Convenience, at least) and always assumed it meant the water bill.  Or maybe a separate sewage bill since I think I remember them referring to "water and hydro" bills.  Any idea where it comes from, is most electricity in Canada hydro-electricity?

Yes, I believe it's because the majority of our electricity is generated by dams.  Water is one of our most abundant resources.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Poor grammar causes distress

Bad grammar causes actual physical distress in others, study reveals 

• DUH!

• Your going to want to read this.

New research finds that when people are subjected to poor grammar, it actually causes them stress — and even initiates a “fight or flight” response.

A lack of proper speech or penmanship sets off several triggers within the automatic nervous system (ANS) — a network that controls the body’s unconscious processes — according to the University of Birmingham.

Heart rate variability — or HRV, which measures the time in between beats — was used as the primary metric to determine how linguistic liabilities impact a person’s physical being.

When relaxed, HRV is commonly less regimented — and it only becomes regular during times of stress, researchers noted.

The more grammatical errors a person heard coincided with the strict regularity of their heartbeat, an indication of stress.

Hearing or reading those cringeworthy errors triggers two (not to or too) pieces of the ANS that are known as the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems.

“Simply put, the sympathetic nervous system activates the ‘fight or flight’ response during a threat or perceived danger, while the parasympathetic nervous system controls the ‘rest and digest’ or ‘feed and breed’ functions of the body,” principal study investigator Dagmar Divjak said.

“Our findings show that [the ANS], too, responds to cognitive demands, and this suggests that cognitive effort reverberates through the physiological system in more ways than previously thought.”

Just over a decade ago, researchers at the University of Illinois commonly connected grammar sticklers to having a form of OCD called Grammatical Pedantry Syndrome. The brain activity of the verbal buffs showed similarities to obsessive-compulsive behavior.

“The results of this study bring into focus a new dimension of the intricate relationship between physiology and cognition,” Divjak said. “The relation between language cognition and the autonomic nervous system has so far received less attention.”

Now, the latest report looks to further pursue evidence that words matter — and may actually hurt us.

“This study provides us with a new method for tapping into aspects of cognition that are not directly observable,” the professor added. “This is particularly valuable in work with language users who are unable to verbally express their opinion due to young or old age, or ill health.” 

16 hours ago, samhexum said:
  • Poor grammar causes distress

Bad grammar causes actual physical distress in others, study reveals 

• DUH!

• Your going to want to read this.

New research finds that when people are subjected to poor grammar, it actually causes them stress — and even initiates a “fight or flight” response.

A lack of proper speech or penmanship sets off several triggers within the automatic nervous system (ANS) — a network that controls the body’s unconscious processes — according to the University of Birmingham.

Heart rate variability — or HRV, which measures the time in between beats — was used as the primary metric to determine how linguistic liabilities impact a person’s physical being.

When relaxed, HRV is commonly less regimented — and it only becomes regular during times of stress, researchers noted.

The more grammatical errors a person heard coincided with the strict regularity of their heartbeat, an indication of stress.

Hearing or reading those cringeworthy errors triggers two (not to or too) pieces of the ANS that are known as the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems.

“Simply put, the sympathetic nervous system activates the ‘fight or flight’ response during a threat or perceived danger, while the parasympathetic nervous system controls the ‘rest and digest’ or ‘feed and breed’ functions of the body,” principal study investigator Dagmar Divjak said.

“Our findings show that [the ANS], too, responds to cognitive demands, and this suggests that cognitive effort reverberates through the physiological system in more ways than previously thought.”

Just over a decade ago, researchers at the University of Illinois commonly connected grammar sticklers to having a form of OCD called Grammatical Pedantry Syndrome. The brain activity of the verbal buffs showed similarities to obsessive-compulsive behavior.

“The results of this study bring into focus a new dimension of the intricate relationship between physiology and cognition,” Divjak said. “The relation between language cognition and the autonomic nervous system has so far received less attention.”

Now, the latest report looks to further pursue evidence that words matter — and may actually hurt us.

“This study provides us with a new method for tapping into aspects of cognition that are not directly observable,” the professor added. “This is particularly valuable in work with language users who are unable to verbally express their opinion due to young or old age, or ill health.” 

No wonder my heart rate always increases when I read this site🥵

My pet peeve is:

”no problem” or “no worries” as a response to “thank you”

big finger nails on blackboard.  

the proper response is: “you’re welcome” period, full-stop.       Occasionally acceptable alternate responses: “my pleasure” or “please don’t mention it”

when some grammatically incompetent twink says “no problem” my response is: “oh, good! I didn’t want to cause a problem” and watch them spin in the wind as their brains fry.

On 4/10/2021 at 8:17 AM, samhexum said:

How insulting... Whenever I'm conversing with anyone, I take it as a given that they are aware that at any moment I am likely to say something brilliant and life-changing, and that they are hanging on every word during the conversation and don't need verbal clues to listen intently.

Do you quote The New York Post?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...