Be alert around Pride or other LGBTQIA+ gatherings this year

Just Chuck

See the FBI and DHS Warning here.

SUMMARY

The FBI and DHS are issuing this Public Service Announcement to provide awareness to the public of foreign terrorist organizations (FTOS) or their supporters potential targeting of LGBTQIA+-related events and venues. Foreign terrorist organizations or supporters may seek to exploit increased gatherings associated with the upcoming June 2024 Pride Month.

I'm not going to avoid doing anything that I want to do.  But, I'm going to keep my eyes open.

On 5/17/2024 at 10:23 AM, Just Chuck said:

See the FBI and DHS Warning here.

SUMMARY

The FBI and DHS are issuing this Public Service Announcement to provide awareness to the public of foreign terrorist organizations (FTOS) or their supporters potential targeting of LGBTQIA+-related events and venues. Foreign terrorist organizations or supporters may seek to exploit increased gatherings associated with the upcoming June 2024 Pride Month.

I'm not going to avoid doing anything that I want to do.  But, I'm going to keep my eyes open.

Do you happen to know if this alert is valid in Europe as well?

5 hours ago, Welshman said:

Do you happen to know if this alert is valid in Europe as well?

DHS and FBI are focused on the USA Homeland.  But, I'd take this warning to heart in Europe.  I haven't looked to see if the US Department of State is issuing a warning to travelers about it, but I'd bet that they are.

4 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

If DHS is posting this warning it's because they have picked up chatter from the Islamic fundamentalist terror network. 

I've read that there are some of those networks that are organized and structured and some are just loose affiliations of people with similar goals.  Some are very structured and some have a bunch of Walter Mitty fantasy characters of loner losers just chatting online.  They have some percentage of lone-wolf actors like the guy who shot people at Pulse nightclub.

The various three-letter agencies all weigh in to decide which ones online are credible and which ones are just online bravado.

5 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

If DHS is posting this warning it's because they have picked up chatter from the Islamic fundamentalist terror network. 

If DHS is posting this warning it's because they have picked up chatter from someone. Unless the warning specified who was involved we don't know whether it was Islamic or right wing (perhaps purportedly Christian) terror groups or some state actor.

Honestly if they are sending out a warning like this it might be best to not go to any pride parades or events to be 100% safe. If you do go don't be in an area with a huge crowd. Hang out somewhere with as few other people as possible and near an exit if indoors. Sounds a bit over the top maybe but that's what I would tell a friend if asked what I think.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Honestly if they are sending out a warning like this it might be best to not go to any pride parades or events to be 100% safe. If you do go don't be in an area with a huge crowd. Hang out somewhere with as few other people as possible and near an exit if indoors. Sounds a bit over the top maybe but that's what I would tell a friend if asked what I think.

Well…at the end of the day we can’t allow possibilities to ruin the fun. We have to try to still enjoy things even in the face of concern. Hell, the latest “gathering” incident occurred at a Kansas City football parade. I wasn’t there for it, but I’ve seen how the Kansas City people can be in large crowds so, I wasn’t interested from the get go. 

Also smaller city prides may be safer than big ones like New York and Los Angeles. Some cities are underrated for their pride events: Denver, Des Moines in Iowa, St. Pete in Florida. Maybe Buffalo probably has a good one themselves. 

I think like someone suggested, staying aware and alert (which means avoiding getting overly intoxicated/using drugs), and avoiding tightly packed crowded sections can likely make a difference. I’ve always found it safer to spectate from the edge of a large crowd, and that’s regardless terrorist or not. Just helps keep distance and avoids drama. That’s at any event whether 4th of July parade or gay pride.

I’ve also noticed police presence at most pride parades are really on point. In some ways, I don’t want to see them because it feels like a protest, but in other ways it means it’s hard to get away with anything mischievous.

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

2 hours ago, mike carey said:

we don't know whether it was Islamic or right wing (perhaps purportedly Christian) terror groups or some state actor.

Dont be silly. Rednecks don't have passports.

WWW.BBC.COM

The warning comes one week after a similar alert from the FBI and Department of Homeland Security.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

16 hours ago, Jarrod_Uncut said:

Well…at the end of the day we can’t allow possibilities to ruin the fun. We have to try to still enjoy things even in the face of concern. Hell, the latest “gathering” incident occurred at a Kansas City football parade. I wasn’t there for it, but I’ve seen how the Kansas City people can be in large crowds so, I wasn’t interested from the get go. 

Also smaller city prides may be safer than big ones like New York and Los Angeles. Some cities are underrated for their pride events: Denver, Des Moines in Iowa, St. Pete in Florida. Maybe Buffalo probably has a good one themselves. 

I think like someone suggested, staying aware and alert (which means avoiding getting overly intoxicated/using drugs), and avoiding tightly packed crowded sections can likely make a difference. I’ve always found it safer to spectate from the edge of a large crowd, and that’s regardless terrorist or not. Just helps keep distance and avoids drama. That’s at any event whether 4th of July parade or gay pride.

Well said!

Avoid crowded public transit.  Take your personal vehicle.  Don't leave home without your personal firearm and conceal carry permit.  Avoid ZIP codes with high density, low income, and transient populations.  Don't visit crowded sidewalks or block parties unless you've reserved a place in the VIP section with private security.

Common sense, really.

Edited by Vegas_Millennial

18 hours ago, Danny-Darko said:

can't remember the last time I went to a gay bar. I think my last pride festival was maybe 25 years ago.

Same here. In the 90s the gay pride parades were still fun. They seem to have since been overtaken by angry Lesbians who couldn't get married. Once they passed marriage equality they found another dozen things to complain about.

Too much freak-show now. Not enough cute guys.

On 5/20/2024 at 10:47 PM, Vegas_Millennial said:

Well said!

Avoid crowded public transit.  Take your personal vehicle.  Don't leave home without your personal firearm and conceal carry permit.  Avoid ZIP codes with high density, low income, and transient populations.  Don't visit crowded sidewalks or block parties unless you've reserved a place in the VIP section with private security.

Common sense, really.

Are you being snarky? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2024 at 10:47 PM, Danny-Darko said:

I can't remember the last time I went to a gay bar. I think my last pride festival was maybe 25 years ago. I was already realizing these weren't the events or "community" for me anymore. To each his own. Let the younger kids have their fun! 

Old Gays.jpg

I live close to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, many of the Pride events start there.  Hope it doesn't overwhelm the famous Rocky statue. (The Kate Smith statue was taken down...only in Philly)

As we approach the worst month of the year, it’s worth looking back at how our community used to be. Long ago, when Pride marches were just about gaining the same rights as all Americans, it was a respectable cause, and gays and lesbians were actually clothed and acted with decency. 

Contrast that to the kink-obsessed, hyper-sexual clown show it has become now, and you can see how far our “community” has fallen.  

The people you see in these pictures would be horrified at what has become of their movement today. They never wanted to push their sexuality on anyone, least of which children, and missing entirely from the picture was the trans mafia and “gender queer” crowd enticing minors to permanently alter their bodies. 

I seriously doubt we can get back to this place, before we lose all we've fought for and gained. We've already seen the backlash begin because of the "Alphabet Squad's" behavior!

Gay Rights History in Pictures.jpg

Edited by Danny-Darko

19 hours ago, Danny-Darko said:

seriously doubt we can get back to this place, before we lose all we've fought for and gained. We've already seen the backlash begin because of the "Alphabet Squad's" behavior!

It is really sad.

For some time most everyone I grew up around in red-neck Central PA had basically come around and accepted that gay people are just like everyone else.

NOW the gay circus side-show freaks are busy demonstrating they are NOT like everyone else ..so middle America is starting to hate on gays again.

21 hours ago, Danny-Darko said:

As we approach the worst month of the year, it’s worth looking back at how our community used to be. Long ago, when Pride marches were just about gaining the same rights as all Americans, it was a respectable cause, and gays and lesbians were actually clothed and acted with decency. 

Contrast that to the kink-obsessed, hyper-sexual clown show it has become now, and you can see how far our “community” has fallen.  

The people you see in these pictures would be horrified at what has become of their movement today. They never wanted to push their sexuality on anyone, least of which children, and missing entirely from the picture was the trans mafia and “gender queer” crowd enticing minors to permanently alter their bodies. 

I seriously doubt we can get back to this place, before we lose all we've fought for and gained. We've already seen the backlash begin because of the "Alphabet Squad's" behavior!

Gay Rights History in Pictures.jpg

I think that is a common trend among most groups fighting for change. We start with a subtle expression that the new idea, and the people embracing it do so as "every day folks," pretty similar to their neighbors. Then, as acceptance grows even slightly, we see people who feel like calling for change shouldn't be subtle. It should bold.

There are always people who call for subtle change and those who call for radical change. Some believe it to be a natural flow. Once the subtlety has softened the idea, it then awakens more people. People who support the idea in the same or different manner, or people who now have a somewhat safer culture for the bolder to call for change.

Edited by APPLE1