General strip club question

Hey all, I’m going to be going on a mini vacation to Ft Lauderdale & Miami in a few weeks and I’m really interested in checking out some of the spots in Wilton Manors, like Johnson’s, Boardwalk etc. it’ll be a first time experience for me. My question is, when you hit these places up, do you tend to go solo (is this even common?) or do you typically go with friends or other people. If you’ve done both do you have a preference? Do you feel like you get more attention from the strippers if you’re flying solo? I do have a friend I could bring, but idk how comfortable he would be with going. As a newbie, I’d appreciate any input you have. 

I've hung out with a friend or two on occasion, but I prefer to go solo. For me personally, I like to be on my own. I go specifically for the dancers, so I don't want to feel like I'm deserting a friend when I engage in extended, um conversation, yeah conversation with a dancer or if I take off for a lap dance or three. Usually friends don't seem to care, but I did have one that said I was rude by ignoring him when a hot dancer came by to hang out. (Update, I don't hang out with that friend in the clubs anymore.) It depends on your priorities when you go out. If you want someone to hang out with & talk to in between tips & lap dances, go with a friend. That's just not what I'm going to those clubs for.

In the late 1980’s, across the Detroit River there was a roomy full-Monty gay strip club in Windsor, ON. Maybe R-J’s, JR’s? 
Exchange rate worked in our favor. Dance floor, small dining tables/chairs surrounding

Cover was maybe 10. 

Between shows (each dancer got 1 song to strip, and 1 to strut and mingle nude for cash and private requests.
Singles got you a quick stop, you could ask for a table dance where you were seated- they carried around wooden crates they could stand on to bring things …into focus. a five got 1-2 songs w’some lap, depending on business - a dark perimeter corner and a twenty got you damn near whatever. One friend said he spent $100 one night between 2 different dancers. He bought a table dance for me to enjoy - slightly public, but enjoyable. 
I was working and hardly rich enough to visit often, but I was there a few times, and tipped well as a treat to myself.
When I learned where the good corners were. 😍

That sounds like the Happy Tap in Windsor.  I didn't start going there until the mid-90's so it may've had a different name in the late 80's. It closed early 2000's (Sept 11 killed traffic from the US) and it reopened down the street a few years later, maybe with a different name, but it wasn't the same. 

I've gone both solo and with friends.  Doesn't really matter to me and I don't think it matters to the dancers as they are willing to approach a group as much as a solo. It really depends on how comfortable you feel going solo as you may have no one to talk to and it would be harder for you to ignore a dancer you are not really interested in.  Also if you go with a friend and have a drink, your friend can watch your drink while you do the lap dance (and vice-versa).

On 3/2/2024 at 7:52 PM, viewing ownly said:

In 2024, are 5's the new 1's, or is tipping a couple of singles outlandish? I may be stuck in the 80s, but I still tip a buck per bed per night of a hotel stay.

A buck a nite is on the cheap side. I tip $10 a night. These folks who do your rooms have to live too. 

15 hours ago, poolboy48220 said:

That sounds like the Happy Tap in Windsor.  I didn't start going there until the mid-90's so it may've had a different name in the late 80's. It closed early 2000's (Sept 11 killed traffic from the US) and it reopened down the street a few years later, maybe with a different name, but it wasn't the same. 

It was not the Happy Tap...it was JR's and I went there numerous times in the 1980's.  Totally different location and on the riverfront.  It preceded the Happy Tap and was a much better and busier club with Toronto and Montreal talent rotating through regularly.  Oh....the good old days.

On 3/2/2024 at 4:52 PM, viewing ownly said:

In 2024, are 5's the new 1's, or is tipping a couple of singles outlandish? I may be stuck in the 80s, but I still tip a buck per bed per night of a hotel stay.

I bring $2 bills.  Most banks (except Bank of America) will order them for you in quantities of $200.  I find $2 to be way more practical than $1s in everyday life, including strip clubs.

On 3/2/2024 at 1:03 PM, Rds50730 said:

My question is, when you hit these places up, do you tend to go solo (is this even common?) or do you typically go with friends or other people.

Whatever you do, don't bring your female friends.  Your fellow gay customers will thank you.  Johnson's Ft Lauderdale allows females, but each female must be accompanied by a male in the group, they are not allowed to have private dances, and are constantly reminded by the DJ to stop "woo-hoo"-ing and screaming and to actually tip the dancers rather than just take up space near the stage.

RE: Tipping. 

Both the amounts and the breadth of people to be tipped has increased. Here is one guideline for the US. $1/nite for a hotel maid definitely does not cut it. Say she does 25 rooms in an 8 hr shift. $25 total tip is nothing. 

WWW.BANKRATE.COM

If you’re confused about how much to tip your waiter, bartender or barista, Bankrate has the latest guidance.

continuing the hotel housekeeper tipping protocol, don't forget to leave a tip each and every day of your stay!.....won't always be the same staff person your entire stay.......and leave the tip under a piece of note paper on which you've written something like "Housekeeping -- Thank You!" so they don't think it's still your money or that you accidentally left it upon check-out.......

Edited by azdr0710

8 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

don't forget to leave a tip each and every day of your stay!.....won't always be the same staff person your entire stay

That's what I thought, and it may be true but I've stayed at a couple of places lately that had a tip envelope on the nightstand or table, with a note explaining its purpose along with the name of the housekeeper. Not sure how that works, but I've left the tip in the envelope as I departed.

Edited by jeezopete

I respectfully disagree with much of this tipping advice, although it would be good to give the tip directly to the hotel maid when you see them.  But then again, I think the tipping culture in the US is getting a little out of control.  Some restaurants are now offering tips of 30%, which is ridiculous.  And it doesn't really resolve any issues of low pay of staff as I am sure owners and managers may not feel that they continue to pay low wages as customers will just tip more.  I don't carry around a lot of cash with me, and this expectation of big tips makes doing anything less enjoyable.  But that's just my opinion...

On 3/2/2024 at 3:50 PM, nycman said:

Solo. 

Less competition.

Maybe others are better at striking a balance, but when I've gone to strip clubs with a friend, I spent most of my time talking to my buddy and too little chatting up the talent.  If I want to hang out with friends, I go to a regular bar.  If I want to "play" with strippers, I go to a strip club by myself.

My only other advice is to measure your alcohol intake.  The fastest way to empty your wallet, no matter how much cash you bring, is to get too tipsy.  At least that's what a friend told me *guiltylook*

• 3 weeks later...

I work as a dancer and don't discriminate between groups of people or single individuals. I prefer those that show an interest in me as an entertainer. Show your dancer some love and it won't matter who is with you or not.

18 hours ago, Johnny West said:

I work as a dancer and don't discriminate between groups of people or single individuals. I prefer those that show an interest in me as an entertainer. Show your dancer some love and it won't matter who is with you or not.

Welcome to the forum Johnny! It’s great to get the perspective of a dancer here. 

• 1 month later...