Inconvenient food aversions/allergies

ShortCutie7

I really hate onions.  In any form.  You know how some people have a gene that makes cilantro taste different to them?  I must have that with onions because there’s no way in HELL they taste the same to me as they do to people who like or even tolerate them.  But my point is, it’s an incredibly inconvenient food aversion to have since onions seem to sneak their way into the majority of dishes.

And if I have this issue with onions, I can’t even imagine what it must be like to be deathly allergic to peanuts, or highly intolerant to gluten, or have an any medical reaction to a very ubiquitous and often hidden food.

Who of you who have these allergies/intolerances/aversions?  Any stories of a time it was particularly inconvenient or worse?

I was surprised when an allergy test indicated that I was allergic to cinnamon--I have always liked cinnamon bread and have never been aware of any unpleasant reaction to it. I like onions, but I strongly dislike kissing someone with onion breath; I suspect it has something to do with an incident in my distant past rather than an allergic reaction to onions.

3 hours ago, Charlie said:

I was surprised when an allergy test indicated that I was allergic to cinnamon--I have always liked cinnamon bread and have never been aware of any unpleasant reaction to it. I like onions, but I strongly dislike kissing someone with onion breath; I suspect it has something to do with an incident in my distant past rather than an allergic reaction to onions.

I do think I might be mildly allergic to onions since I have gastric issues whenever I eat them (in contexts where I can’t taste them).

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

I hate garlic and garlic breath.

Funny thing is, I love garlic!  And ginger, for that matter.  Though I don’t like anything pungent in breath.

On 2/4/2024 at 11:40 AM, ShortCutie7 said:

Who of you who have these allergies/intolerances/aversions?  Any stories of a time it was particularly inconvenient or worse?

I have a deadly allergy to cucumbers.  Even a bit of the juice from one gives me anaphylaxis. I check carefully the menus in restaurants and also mention it in places such as Thai cuisine where it's used liberally. VERY inconvenient is when after telling them, I'm allergic, I find it used as decoration on my plate !!

9 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

I have a deadly allergy to cucumbers.  Even a bit of the juice from one gives me anaphylaxis. I check carefully the menus in restaurants and also mention it in places such as Thai cuisine where it's used liberally. VERY inconvenient is when after telling them, I'm allergic, I find it used as decoration on my plate !!

Ah yes, the classic moment when the item is on your plate despite not *technically* being in your food 😔

On 2/4/2024 at 11:40 AM, ShortCutie7 said:

I don't have stories, but my body can't tolerate pineaple and grape tomatoes. I love both, but my body reacts to them negatively. Also my lips react to eggplant.

45 minutes ago, soloyo215 said:

I don't have stories, but my body can't tolerate pineaple and grape tomatoes. I love both, but my body reacts to them negatively. Also my lips react to eggplant.

My lips and the back of my throat tend to get scratchy with certain varieties of eggplant.  I love spicy stir-fried eggplant, and when I make it using the narrower Japanese eggplants I'm fine, but the big, European eggplants seem to be hit and miss.  And no, I mean real eggplants - my comment is not a euphemism for something else!

On 2/4/2024 at 8:40 AM, ShortCutie7 said:

I really hate onions.  In any form.  You know how some people have a gene that makes cilantro taste different to them?  I must have that with onions because there’s no way in HELL they taste the same to me as they do to people who like or even tolerate them.  But my point is, it’s an incredibly inconvenient food aversion to have since onions seem to sneak their way into the majority of dishes.

And if I have this issue with onions, I can’t even imagine what it must be like to be deathly allergic to peanuts, or highly intolerant to gluten, or have an any medical reaction to a very ubiquitous and often hidden food.

I have that cilantro-tastes-like soap gene.  It's no big whoop, just means that I can never go to any Mexican restaurant because every dish is drowning in the stuff.  I can't imagine having a similar aversion to onions because everybody adds onions in everything.

I have one weird aversion:  I hate -- with vehement passion -- heated-up pie.  Every restaurant is obsessed with heating up pie if it's served a la mode.  I used to ask places to simply not heat it, but apparently the restaurant industry's 1st commandment is Thou Shalt Always Heat Up Pie because it always comes out piping hot no matter how clearly I ask them not to.  Oooh, you have a microwave, congratuf*ckinglations!

Here's a recipe that's gotta be your worst nightmare because it calls for 4 pounds(!) of onions.  Since I loooooove onions, especially when slow-cooked and caramelized, I can't wait to try it.

No official food allergies, but I share the cilantro-aversion gene. Can’t eat grapes or drink grape juice, but live on wine. Love the taste of garlic but can’t stomache it. (That’s the only food aversion that upsets me.)

20 hours ago, BSR said:

I have that cilantro-tastes-like soap gene.  It's no big whoop, just means that I can never go to any Mexican restaurant because every dish is drowning in the stuff.  I can't imagine having a similar aversion to onions because everybody adds onions in everything.

I have one weird aversion:  I hate -- with vehement passion -- heated-up pie.  Every restaurant is obsessed with heating up pie if it's served a la mode.  I used to ask places to simply not heat it, but apparently the restaurant industry's 1st commandment is Thou Shalt Always Heat Up Pie because it always comes out piping hot no matter how clearly I ask them not to.  Oooh, you have a microwave, congratuf*ckinglations!

Here's a recipe that's gotta be your worst nightmare because it calls for 4 pounds(!) of onions.  Since I loooooove onions, especially when slow-cooked and caramelized, I can't wait to try it.

Exactly!  The issue with my aversion to onions is that people put them in everything.  I actually don’t mind that onion bomb because I would smell it from a mile away and know to avoid it… no sneaky little chunks of onion there!

6 hours ago, KrisParr said:

Pears taste like soap. Ivory, Lifebouy, etc. ugh.

And they’re gritty; hate pears.

I am lactose intolerant and can't eat onions/scallions, soy, or beans. I scrutinize labels and don't each much processed food. Eating out at restaurants is tricky, as you never know what they put in their food. I am forever informing servers about my food allergies.  While I don't suffer from anaphylaxis when I eat foods that contain these ingredients, I do get severe diarrhea.   

On 2/13/2024 at 11:34 PM, rvwnsd said:

I am lactose intolerant and can't eat onions/scallions, soy, or beans. I scrutinize labels and don't each much processed food. Eating out at restaurants is tricky, as you never know what they put in their food. I am forever informing servers about my food allergies.  While I don't suffer from anaphylaxis when I eat foods that contain these ingredients, I do get severe diarrhea.   

Between the soy and scallions, you must have a tough time with Chinese food!

12 hours ago, ShortCutie7 said:

Between the soy and scallions, you must have a tough time with Chinese food!

Yup! Beano tablets take away some of the issues I have with soy, but onions/scallions still set me off. I can order food prepared without onions or scallions, though.