A message from King Charles III: check your prostate!

marylander1940

Op note: I'm glad he's using his bully pulpit to offer medical advice while not hiding the reasons he'll be hospitalized. Transparency!

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The king shared the details of his planned surgery next week to encourage other men to be aware of prostate risks.

WWW.CNN.COM

Britain’s King Charles III will go into hospital next week for treatment for an enlarged prostate, Buckingham Palace said Wednesday.

I have my blood work done twice a year since I’m always charting the results, esp. Triglyceride/HDL ratios, which are generally well under the normal range. In May my PSA was elevated. I think it was because of the huge amount of cycling I do. It was slightly lower in November, but I saw a top urologist. He performed a brief rectal exam (yum) and said it felt normal but suggested an MRI, which showed no issues. That said, PSA tests twice a year and the recommended spacing of colonoscopies are two things that all men over 50 should adhere to. Both prostate and colon cancer are pervasive, but well managed if issues are caught early.

I generally agree but if testing is invasive , as are colonoscopies and biopsies of prostates, then there is some risk of things going horribly wrong. Not many you hear of but those that do get publicity are horror stories. 

One example that comes to mind is a guy in his 40’s out on the west coast of Canada, a well known film maker who lived on Salt Spring Island, went in for a biopsy when his PSA showed elevated levels. Three days later he was dead of sepsis. 

I’ve also read of perforated bowels happening during colonoscopies. 

I had a biopsy on my prostate which revealed cancer. This was 17 years ago. I got it treated and am alive today to talk about it. The biopsy was the most painful part because they only sedate you but don’t put you out. 

doubtful this is the real story.  a biopsy or similar doesn't require hospitalization.  they're putting out this story because they can't hide the hospital stay.  plus, they've made a huge deal about who acts in his absence.  

same with Middleton - they claim a "planned procedure" but yet she abruptly cancelled all engagements until Easter. Why plan engagements when you know about the procedure ??

you'd think with the dozens of flacks they employ, the lies would at least be believable.  

King Charles will undergo a common surgical procedure, requiring hospitalization, for benign prostatic hyperplasia. It is deemed to be a non-malignant condition in his case. One does not necessarily require a prostate in-bore biopsy aimed at ruling out cancer in order to undergo an elective in-office or hospital-based procedure to alleviate the symptoms of enlarged prostate, but it is conceivable such a diagnostic procedure had previously occurred. This week’s procedure is likely not a radical prostatectomy. 

Edited by SirBillybob

10 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

doubtful this is the real story.  a biopsy or similar doesn't require hospitalization.  they're putting out this story because they can't hide the hospital stay.  plus, they've made a huge deal about who acts in his absence.  

same with Middleton - they claim a "planned procedure" but yet she abruptly cancelled all engagements until Easter. Why plan engagements when you know about the procedure ??

you'd think with the dozens of flacks they employ, the lies would at least be believable.  

My immediate thought about Kate was she was going in to have a hysterectomy. Same thing happened to my mother at about the same age (my mom was 41 and had had 5 children).

In mom’s case it was a planned procedure and she was in the hospital for two weeks. 

The only other thing I could think of common for women is ovarian cancer. But they seem to have ruled that out. 

38 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

My older brother was being treated for an enlarged prostate at the time I had my prostate removed. I had had no  symptoms  as he did other than the elevated PSA but had cancer nonetheless. He got a biopsy after my operation and he had cancer as well. 

The reason I have spent a total north of $5,000 on MRIs- with gadolinium contrast, past few years, due to elevated PSA, although PSA has dropped consistently to 10-year baseline and is now interestingly within the reference range because its upper limit is higher according to age-range stratification. I have mild BPH that impedes urinary flow a little a few weeks a year. No male sibling has had a PSA test in spite of recommendations particularly due to our father’s death, yet approaching age 90 and but brief acute illness, due to metastatic prostate CA. You can bring a horse to water …

Edited by SirBillybob

2 hours ago, Luv2play said:

My immediate thought about Kate was she was going in to have a hysterectomy

whatever they are having done is a private medical procedure- until they feel the need to make it public & then craft stories that don't make sense.  she's frequently criticized for her light work-load & I doubt anyone would miss her had they not had to cancel planned engagements.  the whole thing is rather pathetic.  

And I'm certain Meghan is somehow to blame - just wait 

perhaps the OP wants to start a thread on *DEPOSITS* next as that is always a topic that gets things stirred up 

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

And now a message from Fergie, Prince Andrew’s ex.

Check your skin for abnormal moles. She just discovered she has melanoma, the most virulent form of skin cancer.

She’s having a bad run of luck. She has breast cancer last year and had a mastectomy..

On 1/21/2024 at 6:51 AM, Pensant said:

I have my blood work done twice a year since I’m always charting the results, esp. Triglyceride/HDL ratios, which are generally well under the normal range. In May my PSA was elevated. I think it was because of the huge amount of cycling I do. It was slightly lower in November, but I saw a top urologist. He performed a brief rectal exam (yum) and said it felt normal but suggested an MRI, which showed no issues. That said, PSA tests twice a year and the recommended spacing of colonoscopies are two things that all men over 50 should adhere to. Both prostate and colon cancer are pervasive, but well managed if issues are caught early.

PSA twice a year would be appropriate for somebody who is found to have an abormal PSA or has a troublesome family history, but as a blanket recommendation, the current thinking is that it is overkill.

21 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Check your skin for abnormal moles. She just discovered she has melanoma, the most virulent form of skin cancer.

She’s having a bad run of luck. She has breast cancer last year and had a mastectomy..

A melanoma dx is not as scary as it once was - I have two friends who had melanomas removed and they are alive and kicking.  They were both early-stage tumors and the procedures were very aggressive, but years later. they are both cancer-free. A woman in my office had an aggressive melanoma on one leg, that just kept spreading no matter what.  She refused to give in and as a last resort they did a treatment where they pumped her leg full of whatever drug it was that they were using and then used tourniquets to cut the circulation off so that the tumors were constantly exposed to a high level of the chemotherapy agent.  They loosened the tourniquets only as much as they had to to keep from damaging the leg.   Wonder of wonders, it worked, and she is alive and well today after a virtual death sentence.

I don’t know what the latest stats are concerning mortality rate from melanoma but of the people I know who have had it, a small number in fact, the outcomes have been mixed. Not a large enough sample to be meaningful. But for the few who died, they died far too young. The one closest to me who had it years ago, she sees her dermatologist every six months. 

On 1/23/2024 at 2:48 AM, Luv2play said:

ah yes - Andrew & Fergie.  So why are Sarah Ferguson medical issues being reported in the news now ?  
Simple - they are being asked to vacate their palatial residence, Royal Lodge to make way for Prince William & family.  So far they have refused to leave and the current medical reports are to generate public sympathy and make it that much harder for them to be evicted.  Can they evict a woman battling two types of cancer ?  No - they can’t 

This is the way they work the press - they all do it to achieve their own means.  

Fergie and Andrew ‘Determined’ to Stay at Royal Lodge After Her Cancer Diagnosis
Two cancer battles in under a year have left Sarah Ferguson and her ex-husband Prince Andrew determined not to surrender their prized asset and home, Royal Lodge in Windsor.

Read in The Daily Beast: https://apple.news/AAT_nApH0TW2n-N4Mu4Uxgw

Shared from Apple News

On 1/22/2024 at 5:48 PM, Luv2play said:

Yes, definitely keep a lookout for anything new or different, whether it's a mole or not.  Red or pink, pearlescent spots with raised edges can also be skin cancer, although a less aggressive form than melanoma. Consider seeing a derm for an annual full body skin check. I had mine today. 

Edited by FreshFluff

On 1/22/2024 at 6:51 AM, Luv2play said:

My immediate thought about Kate was she was going in to have a hysterectomy. Same thing happened to my mother at about the same age (my mom was 41 and had had 5 children).

In mom’s case it was a planned procedure and she was in the hospital for two weeks. 

The only other thing I could think of common for women is ovarian cancer. But they seem to have ruled that out. 

That was my first thought too, but a hysterectomy is usually an outpatient procedure. That's especially true for the BRF, who can set up hospital level care at home. 

The speculation I've read is that she has a longstanding GI issue that became acute. 

6 hours ago, FreshFluff said:

That was my first thought too, but a hysterectomy is usually an outpatient procedure. That's especially true for the BRF, who can set up hospital level care at home. 

The speculation I've read is that she has a longstanding GI issue that became acute. 

Purely speculative, as there are several procedures that could justify extended convalescence, but that might put a princess in colostomy or ileostomy territory, with possible reversal down the line. My cousin had such, not cancer, with subsequent reversal, and she’s healthy 35 years on. Imagine the endless relentless joking in poor taste, though. 

One wonders if the omission of specificity around Charles’ BPH procedure, where a good reason for ambiguity may be lacking since the release is partly geared to men’s health education, is intended to mirror for the sake of content consistency the level of confidentiality regarding his daughter-in-law’s surgery.

Edited by SirBillybob

Re: Middleton - they said she would be in hospital for 2-weeks and no public events for 8-weeks after.  It’s serious, whatever is going on. 

she’s extraordinarily thin as is & hasn’t looked heathy for quite some time.  the pressure of that life must be something horrific & never-ending.  
idk - they all seem kind of miserable to me.  no freedom & very few individual choices - people watching everything 24/7 w no privacy.  probably under surveillance too. 

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

• 2 weeks later...

I watch a left-leaning British politics podcast not known for its favourable attitude towards the monarchy or the king himself but it recently selected him as its hero of the week from its panelists' nominations for a hero and a villain. They noted that since his announcement there had been a marked increase in men seeking prostate tests.

In case you were wondering, their villain of the week was not one of the usual roster of politicians but rather five African grey parrots who had been removed from their public-facing place at a zoo for excessive swearing. When they were moved, the other parrots they were placed with also learnt to swear. Zoo-keepers were planning to put them into a larger flock of birds in the hope they would alter their behaviour to be more like the others. What could possibly go wrong?