Tips for Providers

What is acceptable percentages as tips to independent providers (those not working at a spa) for therapeutic, sensual, and erotic massages? And if there were extra add-ons (no upcharge) from what "style" of massage booked?

12 minutes ago, Gooberman said:

What is acceptable percentages as tips to independent providers (those not working at a spa) for therapeutic, sensual, and erotic massages? And if there were extra add-ons (no upcharge) from what "style" of massage booked?

If there was a "frequently asked" section here, you would find this topic at the top of the list.  With no consensus. 10% will say zero tip, 10% will say 100% tip...and the rest will be somewhere in between.  I choose to tip for excellent service, but apply judgment as to the size of tip - based on service, fee, experience and history with companion. 

Over the last few years, I've noticed that masseurs have an asking rate of what their amount was in the past after I included a tip. Example : I'd donate $120 to a masseur who had a $100 rate in 2020, but now is asking for $120. I don't at all have any shame in being a sensual bargain hunter, but still tipping my standard, and don't want to insult a provider by not giving a gratuity at all, unless the experience was horrid, which is seldom.

I asked a low-priced sensual guy I used to see all the time who was $110 what the most common amount he received, and he told me $10 was what he most frequently got. I'd always give him $132, and he'd usually chuckle. He did say jokingly (but that undertone of seriousness) if his rate were to be something making my exact gratuity 50 cents - and he knows I would do that - to not bother seeing him anymore, as he doesn't ever want change. Too bad, 'cause I have some really shiny, nice looking 50 cent pieces that would look rather sharp on top of the rest of my donation. BTW he's $145 now, and I haven't seen him since he bumped his rate. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets $150 far more often than he gets $173 - and two half dollars.

2 minutes ago, ShortCutie7 said:

Reason number billion I’m glad this forum exists: I would have never even considered that I might be expected to tip someone I’m paying directly for a service.

This is the reason I DON'T tip most providers.  They set their own rate.  They work directly for themselves.  If we had an above average time, I usually schedule a 2nd appointment with him before leaving his apartment or my hotel room.  All have been happy to have me as a repeat customer with no tip.

There have been very few times a provider has asked or hinted about gratuity... And those providers were mediocre.

I will leave a big tip if the man works at a spa, since it is the spa that sets the rate.

I do almost all my hiring from Rent Masseur.  Nearly every encounter I have hired has gone well past massage services.  What is the take on tipping in that case?  I usually add 20% especially when the hourly rates are what the market dictates to be reasonable.

18 hours ago, ShortCutie7 said:

Reason number billion I’m glad this forum exists: I would have never even considered that I might be expected to tip someone I’m paying directly for a service.

Same here. As a general rule, i dont tip for reasons above unless (i) for wow session, i would tip to round-up the payable or $50 (whichever more convenient) or (ii) if said provider provides extra-mile (eg arranging 3some) or I simply like that person that much, would tip up to more (either in % or $, again whichever more convenient).

3 hours ago, blck37 said:

Same here. As a general rule, i dont tip for reasons above unless (i) for wow session, i would tip to round-up the payable or $50 (whichever more convenient) or (ii) if said provider provides extra-mile (eg arranging 3some) or I simply like that person that much, would tip up to more (either in % or $, again whichever more convenient).

Same here. I don’t usually tip bc they’ve set their price. If they go above and beyond or are not a clock watcher, I’ll tip. 

We had an amazing time with Seamus Sunday and I gave him an extra $50. 

the concept of tipping is wildly out-of-control in the US.  

for professional services, tipping was always a discretionary add-on for someone that did not get compensated for the full fee paid.  example - I go to a barber who doesn’t own the shop.  The shop takes a cut of the service fee paid & my tip brings the compensation in line within the total fee paid.  It was not customary to tip the owner of the shop because they get the full fee paid.  Servers in restaurants is something different altogether because they typically make hourly wages far below minimum wage and it is customary to always tip 15-20% for satisfactory service in the US - more than 20% if the service is outstanding.

for US based providers where they are running their own business and realize all of the fee in cash and charge $250-$350 per hour, I’m not sure where the expectation of tips comes in.  I frequently tip providers if the service is outstanding, or they come short-notice or they stay beyond the booked time.  I don’t normally tip if the time is one-hour and the service is basic or average.  If a provider needs more money to make the transaction worthwhile, then just charge a higher hourly rate.  Much better to be straightforward and transparent vs some unwritten vague rule/expectation that may lead to disappointment. 

Europe & Japan are much more civilized where tipping is not a thing and the prices are based upon wages that fairly compensate the workers. Tipping there is the exception rather than the rule.

I have new guidelines on this topic... If the provider wants paid before the service, I rarely pull my wallet out twice. Of course, exceptional service drives exceptions (but not often.). I most often tip those who are confident enough in their service that they wait till the end of the session (even if it was mediocre.)

9 hours ago, MakeMeCowboy said:

If the provider wants paid before the service

Of the very few times a provider has requested/demanded payment before service - it’s always been lackluster service.  In my view, it’s a sign that things aren’t going to be great.  The real pros in the business do not operate that way.  At the same time, if I’m meeting someone new, I make the payment in advance so there is no confusion about the fee, especially if there is a language barrier.  There’s a big difference between a provider demanding pay in advance & a client offering.

at the core of this business is a financial transaction- but, it can be handled with dignity, grace & kindness by all parties. If that is the case, then similarly the session should good as well.  there’s also a degree of trust required by both parties - when one is so suspicious of the other that the financial transaction becomes the main focus, then it’s just not going to be good. 

I tend to always tip & very generously when traveling abroad where rates are low and it makes a much bigger difference in providers compensation. In New York at $350-$400 per hour - no.