Overnight travel to me but posted ad

dlee02

I'm flying a gentleman out to my city for an overnight - flying in Friday afternoon, flying out Saturday morning, flight tickets already bought and paid for in his real name which he gave me. We communicated a lot to plan the overnight. We had discussed that I will pick him up at the airport and we will stay at my place and I'll take him back to the airport in the morning. 

This week, I noticed that the provider posted an ad on RM advertising that he will be in my city for the exact same two days. 

Should I be offended?

I wouldn’t read anything into it. Part of posting travel is alerting everyone in your market that you will be AWAY from your home city as much as you will be in the travel city. He probably wants to see if there are other good prospects in your area. If anything, it goes well and he may want to travel more frequently to your city (lucky you!)

If he fulfills his obligations and agreements to you, I see no harm or cause for concern. If he delivers for you, that’s all you should care about.

5 hours ago, dlee02 said:

I'm flying a gentleman out to my city for an overnight - flying in Friday afternoon, flying out Saturday morning, flight tickets already bought and paid for in his real name which he gave me. We communicated a lot to plan the overnight. We had discussed that I will pick him up at the airport and we will stay at my place and I'll take him back to the airport in the morning. 

This week, I noticed that the provider posted an ad on RM advertising that he will be in my city for the exact same two days. 

Should I be offended?

NO but HE should have told you. 

I'm surprised he didn't discuss it with you... besides apparently he'll have no time to see other clients unless his planning to sneak out of your house at night 😆.

I hope you have a good time with him! 

22 hours ago, dlee02 said:

Should I be offended?

I don't think think there's anything to be offended about... as long as he fulfills his commitment to you, delivers as promised and isn't on his phone communicating with other clients while he's with you,  what he does after his commitment with you  isn't of anyone's concern nor is it of anyone's concern where his ad is placed. 
He could be feeling out the area for future visits, he could be putting a contingency plan in place but as long as he fulfills his commitment to you and he's fully "present" I'd take no offense. Hope you both have great time! 

Think of it this way, will you be offended if he buys mugs for his collection when he's in your city, or takes time for himself or takes a tour of the city, or uses the opportunity in any other way? I hope not. People use the opportunities that present for them all the time. For as long as he fulfills his end of the deal, you should let the rest go (IMO). He's free to do as he pleases before and after, including seizing the opportunity for making more money.

On 12/11/2023 at 5:08 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

He might decide to extend his stay as well if he gets a lot of interest and just schedule a different flight out.

Good point but even with the flexibility offered by all major airlines, the closer you're to the date of your flight the more like it will go up in price. Besides the OP @dlee02 already bought the tickets, he didn't send him the money for him to do it and therefore control the reservation. 

Again, I'm surprised he wasn't just honest with the client and extend his stay on his own another day. 

Unless you are concerned that he's going to fly to your city on your dime and then not keep his commitment to you in terms of your appointment, I think you should drop it.  You don't own him, even for the time he's scheduled to be with you.  I'm not suggesting that you should be okay with him slipping away for an hourly appointment with a different client during your scheduled time together, but unless you have an indication that's what's on his mind then I think it would be bad form for you to bring this issue up.  If you do, I'd suggest doing it very casually as in, "Hey, I noticed your ad indicates you'll be in my city when you are coming to see me," and then let him respond.  If you make it an inquiry, it makes you look like a controlling client whom he should want to avoid, and then you might be stuck with an unused plane ticket.

I've only flown a guy into town once (from within the U.S.), and I even asked ahead of time if he wanted to stay longer than the night I was paying him for. I explained that real bodybuilders are in short supply in Chicago, so it might be a business opportunity.

He declined immediately, and said he just wanted to spend the night with me, which he did.

On 12/12/2023 at 3:55 PM, Vin_Marco said:

what he does after his commitment with you  isn't of anyone's concern nor is it of anyone's concern where his ad is placed.

agree

this is where things go sideways on the client end. He’s a professional & may capitalize on a work trip for more money & contacts. It’s smart.  While RM is public information, I feel like this is a bit like looking at someone’s phone - just don’t do it. 

You shouldn’t feel offended, but I get it. 

When I first started hiring I had no self esteem. I didn’t see my own worth or value, and it led to a lot of hurt feelings and jealousy with providers. It took a couple of years to work out, so I get why seeing that could bring up some feelings for you. As others have said, you have no claim to his time outside of what you paid for and if he can make a lucrative weekend out of his trip, let the man hustle!  

I wouldn’t “mention” that you saw him post his ad in your city. That’s a bad look. 

Edited by Coolwave35

Once I'm confident in an arrangement, my time with the person is all I would need to care about. As mentioned in different ways by many people in this thread, it should be of no concern to you what he does when he hasn't seen you yet, or afterwards, either.

If you're his focus during your time, and equally as important, he's yours, then just enjoy the experience (and follow-up here, good or not-so-good).

As a provider, I don't think I would put a travel alert up for such a visit.. As you've described, I won't have any availability and it's a short trip. I've never been flown out by somebody, but I've absolutely done quick 2-day trips for unrelated purposes and chosen not to push my ad since I'd have to turn everybody down and I'd rather not disappoint, and have little patience for fruitless texting as it is.

That said, your date choosing to do so for whatever reason — to sus out the market, to get his name/face out there, just ~because~ - is totally harmless, as others said.

If, on the other hand, you noticed his profile set to Available Now in the midst of your overnight, that might be cause to quibble!

On 12/12/2023 at 9:55 AM, Vin_Marco said:

I don't think think there's anything to be offended about... as long as he fulfills his commitment to you, delivers as promised and isn't on his phone communicating with other clients while he's with you,  what he does after his commitment with you  isn't of anyone's concern nor is it of anyone's concern where his ad is placed. 
He could be feeling out the area for future visits, he could be putting a contingency plan in place but as long as he fulfills his commitment to you and he's fully "present" I'd take no offense. Hope you both have great time! 

I agree that for a short session the provider should not get on his phone. However for an overnight, of which I have had many, the provider usually wants to check his phone in the morning before leaving the client, especially if they are having breakfast together. After all he has the rest of his day to plan perhaps and would want to reply in a timely fashion for any requests that came in overnight.