Why is average Life Expectancy declining in United States ?

SouthOfTheBorder
Message added by rvwnsd,

Moderator's Note: Thanks to posters who chose to veer off-topic, introduce politics into the thread, argue and attack one another, and ignore a moderator's warning to stop doing these things, we have locked the thread. 

see attached Life Expectancy data from World Bank - US ranks #64, in between Algeria & Panama (corresponding data available from many other sources)

and - the only rich developed country where the life expectancy is declining 

US spends more on healthcare than any other country in the world, yet without corresponding positive outcomes & trends 

what’s happening ?

035A81E2-B87D-4427-9281-D223FF4A977E.png

B2F8DEAA-CFC5-4554-8591-F5F0D441F152.png

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

1 hour ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

and - the only rich developed country where the life expectancy is declining 

The US continues to have more immigrants than most other rich developed countries.  It's much easier to keep a stable happy, healthy, population if you restrict who can enter based on a merits-based system of income, education, and age.

6 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

The US continues to have more immigrants than most other rich developed countries.  It's much easier to keep a stable happy, healthy, population if you restrict who can enter based on a merits-based system of income, education, and age.

What I've read over the past couple of years is that COVID and drug overdoses (particularly fentanyl) were the principal causes of life expectancy decreasing in the US.  I haven't read anything that ties life expectancy with the amount of immigration. 

WWW.CDC.GOV

National Center for Health Statistics

from that CDC report 

Life expectancy at birth in the United States declined nearly a year from 2020 to 2021, according to new provisional data from the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS). That decline – 77.0 to 76.1 years – took U.S. life expectancy at birth to its lowest level since 1996. The 0.9 year drop in life expectancy in 2021, along with a 1.8 year drop in 2020, was the biggest two-year decline in life expectancy since 1921-1923.

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

Young people in the United States are dying at a SIGNIFICANTLY higher rate than their counterparts in other industrialized nations.

Largely due to the rampant spread of drug use in this country, which is primarily coming in from South of the Border - carried by numerous smugglers or (so-called) "refugees".

The drugs may be coming from south of the border, but to me the real problem is why is there so much DEMAND for them on this side of the border?  If we'd stop buying, maybe they'd stop selling.

1 hour ago, Xavitv said:

Refugees apply for asylum and they are searched by border patrol. They don’t carry the drugs with them. 

Since the beginning of this year there have been an estimated 530,000 “got aways” who came across the border.  So no, they aren’t searched.

That is the number provided our gov’t.  So I’d guess it’s much higher.

3 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

US spends more on healthcare than any other country in the world, yet without corresponding positive outcomes & trends

As per usual, correlation is not causation.  

The US also spends more on defense than the next 10 countries down the list, yet that doesn't truly make us any more safe.

Throwing gobs of money at a problem only works with some things: I wish I could say what the immediate solution to lower life expectancy is, but tbh, it's really a slurry of existing generational/systemic issues combined with a difficult healthcare system.

26 minutes ago, Thelatin said:

Since the beginning of this year there have been an estimated 530,000 “got aways” who came across the border.  So no, they aren’t searched.

That is the number provided our gov’t.  So I’d guess it’s much higher.

Of course, but those are not necessarily refugees or have refugee status. 

2 hours ago, Thelatin said:

I had some friends who became chronic drunks during covid (it’s over).   I guess their though process was if I can’t do exactly what I want - I’ll drink myself to death.   

Yes, the covid shutdowns probably caused more long term health problems than the number of deaths they reduced from slowing the spread until a vaccination was ready.  Now we know better for next time.

4 hours ago, Rudynate said:

I don't know if there is a way of quantifying the general level of stupidity but, if it could be quantified, I'm positive it would be inversely correlated to decreasing life expectancy. 

Could be true.  During that period of school shutdowns and virtual learning, the education level went down and will have likely affected an entire generation.

22 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

Yes, the covid shutdowns probably caused more long term health problems than the number of deaths they reduced from slowing the spread until a vaccination was ready.  Now we know better for next time.

My health certainly suffered. My gym was closed for over a year. I myself drank far more than I normally would. So much so I decided to just STOP for six months to reset my brain. I didn't get outside as much as I normally would and I put on five or more pounds of fat, and I've never had any weight issues in my life. So yeah. Sitting at home for months was definitely causing me more health problems than Covid 19 did. I am unaware of ever having it...although they now say 90% of the population had it even if they were unaware.

Edited by pubic_assistance
grammar