West Coast vs East Coast

socurious

I like the East coast as that’s where I’m from, but also enjoy the mountain regions - so many great national parks in the US! Bryce, Zion, Arches, Cedar Breaks, Dinosaur, Great Basin, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone… I try to visit one every year. 

As for guys, I enjoy the intellectual ruggedness of guys in DC. The ones here in NYC are a little too pretty. And, of course I have a weakness for guys from Philadelphia especially if they are Curtis music students. 

Edited by cany10011

On 4/12/2023 at 9:32 PM, socurious said:

Which one is the best in your opinion?

It terms of landscapes it gotta be the West Coast to be totally honest. But in terms of education I think it's the East coast. 

You sure seem to be asking a lot of provocative questions... If you're really talking about the coasts themselves, the West is more attractive, but the currents come from the north (Alaska current) on the west coast and from the south on the East coast, so the water's more comfortable in most of the East coast. In terms of university rankings, there are plenty of universities ranking in the top 20 on both coasts, both public and private:

feature_UCLA.jpg#keepProtocol
BLOG.PREPSCHOLAR.COM

What are the best state schools? Check out our list of top public universities to see which one is right for you.

UCLA on the West Coast is ranked #1 in the US.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

Princeton and MIT are the best private universities in the US, but Harvard and Stanford come in tied at #3.

I grew up in the northeast, but I have lived just about my entire adult life in the western US.  I lived in the northeast again for a couple years and was ever so glad when I was able to move back to the west. Life isn't any easier in the west - life sucks as much as it does in the east, but it is just a more comfortable way of life. 

I have lived on both coasts, and I could compare them on lots of different topics, but I wouldn't know how to compare them in general, especially since I lived on them during very different periods of my life. If you are asking me about sexual experience, most of it was on the East coast when I was younger, and I had very little experience on the West at any age. If you are asking about higher education, all my academic experience as a student and as an instructor was on the East coast, so I know little about the West other than by reputation. I prefer city life in the East, but countryside in the West.

Midwest is the best.  Love visiting either coast.  Have driven Pacific Coast Hwy. a lot.  Never got tired of it.  

East coast, DC is a favorite city of mine, and Miami Beach is just a few hours away by plane when I get tired of winter, and need a quick sun fix.  However, in the Midwest, spring/summer/fall are great.  Great Lakes are the 3rd coast.

Edited by bashful

I grew up in the Northeast. ( Central PA ) Went to University at Syracuse. Then spent a year in LA and traveled up and down the West Coast while I was there.

At first I loved the change of scenery and the consistently nice weather. But for some reason toward the end of that year, I hated it there.

Mostly because I'm just a true North Easterner but secondly and probably the biggest driving force was that I didn't like the people in LA.  I found too many of them to be superficial and unreliable as friends. After a full year, I had hundreds of phone numbers in my book and not one person I could call a close friend.  That was bizarre to me. Been back to LA several times, and I must say I never feel "at home" there.  It's culturally foreign to me.

back east: great place to visit, but I wouldn't.....well, you know the rest.......too many trees crowding me in is my biggest complaint about being back there.....I get just a little claustrophobic when visiting.......

was born in NJ, but we've lived out west since I was two......the low humidity and wide-open views clinch it for me.....

as usual, so many pros and cons to each, though.....walking the streets of Manhattan is a must-do for all.....standing on the very spots of history like the Boston Massacre can thrill a history nerd like me.......walking from the priceless real estate of fashionable Union Square in SF to the mean streets of the Tenderloin in two short blocks can be a classic case study of American economic opportunity........parts of the Pacific coastline can be unimaginatively spectacular (especially in the hands of a good photographer!!)    

Edited by azdr0710

2 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

...walking... the mean streets of the Tenderloin...

I don't want anybody to get the wrong idea. It would not be a good idea to walk the streets of the Tenderloin. This may be the most dangerous neighborhood on the planet. I'm not easily spooked, but this is a neighborhood which should be avoided at all costs. 

13 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

I found too many of them to be superficial and unreliable as friends. After a full year, I had hundreds of phone numbers in my book and not one person I could call a close friend. 

Very true of LA in particular and SoCal in general. I had the same experience of Orange County.

17 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Been back to LA several times, and I must say I never feel "at home" there.  It's culturally foreign to me

4 hours ago, Pensant said:

Very true of LA in particular and SoCal in general. I had the same experience of Orange County.

I was visiting years ago, and speaking to a couple there were born there.  One said California is so transient, most locals don't invest in getting to know new arrivals, because they most likely will just up and leave relatively soon.

20 hours ago, bashful said:

One said California is so transient, most locals don't invest in getting to know new arrivals, because they most likely will just up and leave relatively soon.

That's possible.

MY experience was more about everyone being a narcissist who didn't really recognize the importance of making an effort to maintain relationships that didn't directly benefit themselves in the immediate moment.

When I retired, I moved from the East coast to the West, mainly because I thought I would find the natural environment in the West more pleasing, and for the most part that has been true; however, it certainly is not the idyllic paradise I hoped for.

In the late 19th century, my New York-born grandfather took Horace Greeley's advice to "Go West, young man!" There he had some of the most exciting adventures of his life, but at age 30 he returned to the East coast. For the remaining sixty years of his life, he never again ventured farther west than the Delaware River, and never expressed any interest in doing so.

17 hours ago, strip4me said:

Everyone was so nice but it can feel superficial.

VERY.

Within the year living in LA, I had dozens and dozens of "friends". ...

But

One weekend I was feeling very sick and weak. I asked my "best friend" there to please check in with me and just bring me some things from the store. "He wasn't sure he had time". I called another ..who said they'd "try". Then another and another and everyone of these people who wanted to hang out when the party was on....couldn't commit to helping me when I was ill.

I ended up asking for help from my Nicaraguan neighbor who I barely knew but to say hello when I'd see them outside. They didn't speak a word of English and my Spanish at that time was rough.  She brought me soup and her husband drove to the store. Of course they weren't from LA either....so THEY understood the idea of how important it is for the soul to  do things for others.

The rest it seems are too focused on their own priorities to be able to work such a distraction into their busy schedule of going to the gym, working on their tan, getting a smoothie and/or getting laid.

I left a month after that realization.

Edited by pubic_assistance
Grammar