Who chooses their sexual orientation?

pubic_assistance

12 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

You've made your antiquated point over and over and over.....

Yeah, I keep bringing up more and more scientific insight into the question, and I keep waiting for you to bring up an iota of factual data to support your point. Zzzzzzzz

image.png.6af0422b740d6c70210622e56e50a3ca.png

Ironic that while you call my point "antiquated," you bring up old theories from the early 20th Century by Freud, and ignore the mountains of actual scientific analysis which has addressed the subject over the last 3 to 4 decades. 

Edited by Unicorn

13 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Ironic that while you call my point "antiquated," you bring up old theories from the early 20th Century by Freud, and ignore the mountains of actual scientific analysis which has addressed the subject over the last 3 to 4 decades. 

I never quoted Freud.

You can stick to your antiquated scientific studies from the 80s.

The fact of the matter is that current psychological theory embraces the idea of human sexuality as far more fluid than your  charts from my childhood are showing.

More importantly young people in their 20s are PRACTICING sexual fluidity and tossing out the labels. Nobody identifies as just "gay" anymore. It's all about bi  / poly / and fluid.

Where's your chart from 2022 ?

20 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

...Nobody identifies as just "gay" anymore. It's all about bi  / poly / and fluid.

Where's your chart from 2022 ?

So you've polled EVERY person on the planet to state that nobody identifies as "just" gay? Why is being gay referred to in such dismissive tones as if there is some vital aspect to one's sexual identity that is missing? Sexuality has always run along a spectrum to my knowledge and experience. I can state that I am gay, gay, gay. I can't even imagine having sex with a woman. Besides, the new fluidity could be based on the principle that one's sexuality is not the be-all, end-all in terms of experience or identity.

4 hours ago, AroiDee said:

why are people here so mean?

Well, there's a difference between ridiculing what a person says, versus who they are. We try to attack the idea, not the person. There are plenty of people here with whom I agree much of the time, but sometimes they say stupid stuff, too. But the moderators can get upset about strings which go "off-topic," so if you really would like an answer and discussion of that question, I suggest you start a new string. 

44 minutes ago, Rod Hagen said:

The Gen Z hubris makes me shake my head.  Really?  Really?  Same sex relationships have existed since the beginning of animal, then human, life, but you, you progressive darlings, you are the age of fluidity?  Right.

Fluidity in human sexuality has also existed since the beginning of animal, and then human, life. 

55 minutes ago, Rod Hagen said:

why do Zillenials and young Millenials act as if they reinvented the sexual Wheel?  

The young people I know don't seem to claim to have "reinvented" anything but they do always seem opposed to strict gay/straight labels. Even when I say I'm bisexual they will counter with "but what does that mean" ?  My understanding is that "picking a team" to have a relationship is very last century. The "poly" concept for many young people is about keeping their possibilities open at all times and never settling down. Let's see how that looks when they're 40. I do enjoy the more open minded attitude about liking the person, not the parts. I was always wired that way, but had absolutely no role models for how to manage that socially. I wandered around in the dark until I figured things out. These kids are all rather supportive of the "you do you" concept and don't judge any combination of sexual adventures.

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

The young people I know don't seem to claim to have "reinvented" anything but they do always seem opposed to strict gay/straight labels. Even when I say I'm bisexual they will counter with "but what does that mean" ?  My understanding is that "picking a team" to have a relationship is very last century. The "poly" concept for many young people is about keeping their possibilities open at all times and never settling down. Let's see how that looks when they're 40. I do enjoy the more open minded attitude about liking the person, not the parts. I was always wired that way, but had absolutely no role models for how to manage that socially. I wandered around in the dark until I figured things out. These kids are all rather supportive of the "you do you" concept and don't judge any combination of sexual adventures.

I totally agree, but  when you write the kids are all rather supportive, could you be more specific

I was a caseworker in my early 30s. One of my clients was very attractive; most people thought he was gay - partly because he walked around in his underwear.

Now I have known him for over 30 years. Just because I wanted to  fuck him - I knew he wasn't gay

I was a wrestler in High School. I wanted to fuck most of the guys on the team. But in my mind - sporty guys aren't gay...so.i never dreamed of making a move on one of them.

Many years later one of my team mates came out of the closet and declared himself  "gay" after being married to a woman for decades and raising two kids. 

I asked him how long he felt he was gay...He answered "since high school". I questioned that response saying I would have never guessed ! He said "oh yeah, I hooked up with a lot of guys in high school". Again I found this surprising and asked "with who"? He answered me and said he'd sucked off half the boys on the wrestling team !!! 😱

Edited by pubic_assistance

On 1/23/2023 at 2:58 PM, Rod Hagen said:

Nobody said it didn't, my implicit question was why do Zillenials and young Millenials act as if they reinvented the sexual Wheel?  

Do you not think all generations did the same? I mean, pretending to invent something they were just reinventing? Like the sexual revolution from the 60s? the post modernism from the 80s?

This conversation has much of another pattern. Older generations complaining about the youngins. A classic.

3 hours ago, Rudynate said:

In the sciences, articles more than 2 or 3 years old are considered dated. 

Not really. At some point, certain matters become settled. Science can open new questions, and take questions to another direction. Obviously, if studies are continuing in one subject matter, more recent studies need to be taken into account. At a certain point, however, there are certain matters which are accepted as established for any given question.