Trouble finding a flu shot?

Yes in Sk flu shots are easily accessible as are the Covid shots and are free. Although was not happy to hear today when I went to the pharmacy for mine that I would be getting the stronger dose flu shot " since it was better for seniors!" I don't think of myself as a senior though! Although I happily took it 

• 4 weeks later...

Although we got our flu shots in our doctor's office, he does not have the COVID boosters. When we were in the office for something else last week, he asked if we had got the latest booster yet, and when I said we hadn't, he told us we could get it at the hospital's pharmacy as walk-ins, so we went right over there, and got the booster immediately, after filling out a simple form.

BTW, one of our elderly neighbors, who didn't want to get the flu shot, is now hospitalized with the flu, and another neighbor has been waiting three days for gall bladder surgery, because the hospital is overwhelmed with patients.

I have been unable to find a walk in location to get the flu shot. Today I tried Walgreens, Rite Aid and CVS in my neighborhood. They all require an appointment even though they were clearly not busy (if they were visibly busy, I wouldn't have asked).  Closest is Walgreens and they offer appointments only between 3pm and 5pm. I usually leave work at 6pm, so don't get back to my neighborhood until much after 6pm. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, KeepItReal said:

I have been unable to find a walk in location to get the flu shot. Today I tried Walgreens, Rite Aid and CVS in my neighborhood. They all require an appointment even though they were clearly not busy (if they were visibly busy, I wouldn't have asked).  Closest is Walgreens and they offer appointments only between 3pm and 5pm. I usually leave work at 6pm, so don't get back to my neighborhood until much after 6pm. 🤷‍♂️

If you have a regular doctor, call their office and ask them what to do. They may know of another resource besides the chain drug stores.

2 hours ago, KeepItReal said:

Does your supermarket have a pharmacy?  After I was turned away from Walgreens and CVS, I walked into my supermarket and got the flu shot with only 1 person ahead of me in line.

22 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Does your supermarket have a pharmacy?  After I was turned away from Walgreens and CVS, I walked into my supermarket and got the flu shot with only 1 person ahead of me in line.

Good thought, but the markets around my neighborhood in NYC does not have pharmacies. 

I think with the chain drugstores you just have to book and keep an appointment.  My impression in NYC in that pharmacists to administer vaxes are mostly "extras" jobbed in for specific blocks of time in each location, hence they may not be able to take a walk-in in some cases.

I received my COVID booster when I received my second Monkeypox vaccine. Last weekend I picked up a prescription at CVS and the pharmacist asked whether I wanted my second shingles and flu shots. There wasn't a wait, so I got them both.

The only reason I didn't get them sooner is my usual pharmacy is a very very busy Safeway. Each time I'd pick up a prescription they were busy and I'd forget to make an appointment when I got home. 

14 hours ago, Luv2play said:

I got my flu shot a week ago and am to get a bivalent Covid vax on Monday. Having had my second Mpox a couple of months ago, I am now looking forward to no more pinpricks for awhile (I hope).

Same here.  Just got my Covid (Omicron version) this week a month after finishing my Shingrix regimen a month ago when I also got my flu shot.  I've been poked a lot since summer...and not in a good way.  It'll be nice to take a break for a while.

Got my flu shot during my physician visit on Monday. I haven’t had the flu in 30 years.

As for the Covid booster, I just got one a year ago. I won’t go into details, but I fear that the shot may have contributed to a serious event that I suffered on April 11. I’m in peak health and there have been no other events since.

On 12/2/2022 at 2:55 PM, cany10011 said:

I hope we can all spare a thought for these frontline pharmacists who have to deal with filling prescriptions as well as help vaccinate. It looks like a thankless job. 

I'm not so sure of that. My pharmacist seems to have a nice business. He asked that I make an appointment for my flu shot and Covid booster online so all he had to do was check that I was eligible for the shots. 

He does alright by the prescriptions he fills too. His payments are guaranteed as he only accepts cash or plastic.

• 1 month later...

So the news today here in Canada is that the flu season peaked in November and has declined markedly. Now COVID19 s on the rise again wirh new subvariants threatening to make for a difficult winter.  

I got my flu vaccine just around the peak or shortly thereafter so that is a concern. It seems the vaccines are being made available too late for those of us interested in taking them. 

As for COVID, got my last booster in Dec., the 5th shot in total and still haven't been infected at least noticeably.  

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

I got my Covid booster and flu shot in September. Due for another booster?

Going by the CDC guidelines, I haven't seen so far recommendations beyond the omicron-specific booster.