Trouble finding a flu shot?

Last week, I scheduled my flu shot and omicron booster at Rite Aid. When I arrived for my appointment, I was told "So, you're here for the Omicron booster only!". I told the pharmacist that I was really interested in the flu shot and had scheduled both, but she said "Your insurance company said you have to go to your doctor's office for the flu shot." Well, my main worry right now is influenza, not omicron, but I accepted that omicron shot, and thought I'd call the doctor's office today, once the soreness of the other booster died down. I called my doctor's office, and was amazed to hear they haven't received any doses of flu shots!

Well, I remember when I was working, it was slightly frustrating for me to see my patients get their flu shots at the pharmacy, because it wasn't captured in our computer software, so it looked as though my patients weren't getting immunized when they were. Some of my medical assistants would document the outside flu shots, but some didn't unless the patients came in with a "receipt" for the flu shot, which none did. So I'd like my doctor's office to take credit, but if they don't get the flu shot within the next week, I'll just go back to Rite Aid and pay cash. I've never had my flu shot past mid-October before, and I don't want to wait until November this year, especially when the CDC is predicting a bad flu season this year. 

I've heard Canadians are having trouble finding flu shots. Anyone else having difficulty getting a flu shot this Fall?

31 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Nope. Walked into CVS in Greenwich Village and was taken care of right away.

True at a pharmacy in Philadelphia also. Glad I made an appointment because there was a line for walk-ins.

And it was a day the remnants of the hurricane was still around, not much wind but pouring rain;

I had posted elsewhere I usually didn’t access flu vaccine in Canada as early as October and usually paid a fee in spite of senior status, but low and behold it rolled out early in Quebec this year, and free for age 60+, so I received it yesterday. Simultaneous admin of COVID vaccine is likely saving on manpower, but pharmacies here can only cold-store Spikevax and the Moderna BA4/5 is just submitted for review. Besides, I have consistently been sent crawling into bed with fatigue malaise fever etc following all COVID shots and wanted to keep separate for attributing possible reactogenicity (though merely once out of about 40 lifetime flu shots did flu vacc send me crawling into bed with shivers). I was feeling fine 24 hours after flu shot and at that point walked in to a vaccine centre (today) for the preferred Pfizer/BNT Comirnaty BA4/5 bivalent booster, offered a choice against Spikevax bivalent BA1 … Already feeling woozy a few hours later. And the pharmacy where I got flu vaccine flagged that I am eligible for free pneumococcal vaccine, on top of the email notice of eligibility for 2nd Imvamune dose I just received. Aren’t these threads all sounding like they’re from some post-apocalyptic script? Will that be your right or left pincushion that we plague today, monsieur? 

Edited by SirBillybob

On 10/17/2022 at 6:47 PM, Unicorn said:

Last week, I scheduled my flu shot and omicron booster at Rite Aid. When I arrived for my appointment, I was told "So, you're here for the Omicron booster only!".

It must be some sort of protocol.  I went to Kaiser this morning for both shots.  The nurse who gave the shots asked me exactly that question.  I said "no, I'm here for both." And I got both.

19 hours ago, Lucky said:

Are those here who are over 65 getting the senior flu shot?

It seems to be all over the place - I'd read that the senior shots were scarce, bur they seem readily available in the midwest.  I made an appointment at CVS and got both the booster and the flu shot at the same time, which I don't recommend - ouch. It's never been a problem before, but this time is hasn't shown up on MyChart after six weeks. I called and was told it is "awaiting revier" and that Covid boosters aren't a priority to get on the record right now!

5 hours ago, spider said:

It seems to be all over the place - I'd read that the senior shots were scarce, bur they seem readily available in the midwest.  I made an appointment at CVS and got both the booster and the flu shot at the same time, which I don't recommend - ouch. It's never been a problem before, but this time is hasn't shown up on MyChart after six weeks. I called and was told it is "awaiting revier" and that Covid boosters aren't a priority to get on the record right now!

The booster hurt a little bit, and my shoulder is sore today.  Didn't feel a thing when they did the flu shot and that shoulder is fine today.

Got them both at an Albertsons supermarket.  I would suggest u take them spaced a part.  Myself and several others had achy stiff joints and back aches.  I received mine 9/25 with no wait and no appointment.  I asked the tech where was everybody?  He said just wait until after 10/1 it will be a mad house and he was right. U have to do the opposite of the masses.

While the flu shot may be available in Quebec, as SirBillyBob indicated above, it is still not available where I live in Ontario. I was told yesterday at the pharmacy where I get it that it will be another two weeks. Last year it wasn't available until mid December but since the flu was practically non existent last winter I wasn't worried. This year it may come back with a vengence. 

On 10/17/2022 at 9:47 PM, Unicorn said:

Last week, I scheduled my flu shot and omicron booster at Rite Aid. When I arrived for my appointment, I was told "So, you're here for the Omicron booster only!". I told the pharmacist that I was really interested in the flu shot and had scheduled both, but she said "Your insurance company said you have to go to your doctor's office for the flu shot." Well, my main worry right now is influenza, not omicron, but I accepted that omicron shot, and thought I'd call the doctor's office today, once the soreness of the other booster died down. I called my doctor's office, and was amazed to hear they haven't received any doses of flu shots!

Well, I remember when I was working, it was slightly frustrating for me to see my patients get their flu shots at the pharmacy, because it wasn't captured in our computer software, so it looked as though my patients weren't getting immunized when they were. Some of my medical assistants would document the outside flu shots, but some didn't unless the patients came in with a "receipt" for the flu shot, which none did. So I'd like my doctor's office to take credit, but if they don't get the flu shot within the next week, I'll just go back to Rite Aid and pay cash. I've never had my flu shot past mid-October before, and I don't want to wait until November this year, especially when the CDC is predicting a bad flu season this year. 

I've heard Canadians are having trouble finding flu shots. Anyone else having difficulty getting a flu shot this Fall?

My pharmacist told me that they a big supply.  I'm getting it on Sunday.  I live in Toronto so it may be harder to get in small towns.  I haven't heard of it being an issue though.

4 hours ago, Luv2play said:

While the flu shot may be available in Quebec, as SirBillyBob indicated above, it is still not available where I live in Ontario. I was told yesterday at the pharmacy where I get it that it will be another two weeks. Last year it wasn't available until mid December but since the flu was practically non existent last winter I wasn't worried. This year it may come back with a vengence. 

Actually flu vaccine was, surprisingly, available in Quebec as early as Oct 5th. Ontario officially Nov 1st but obviously has started in places. There may be other provincial inconsistencies and the national immunization guidance would give most people a headache trying to wade through it. I received a standard dose Fluzone Quadrivalent in spite of being of age for a higher dose (4-fold greater concentration and possibly modestly more efficacy). I’m not concerned. Apparently Quebec is reserving the higher dose for long term care settings. But I think the CDC recommends the higher dose for 65+. Canada indicates it can ONLY be given to seniors but isn’t being fussy about it being a strong recommendation. I believe it’s based on Sanofi’s research of a few years ago that showed a higher dose trivalent outperformed a standard dose. I think the difference in breakthrough illness risk was 1.4% versus 1.9%. I’ve never taken a ‘sommelier’ position on flu vaxx and not going to start now, though “THE flu shot” is a misnomer. But what products provinces select likely impacts on delivery to some extent, along with the many moving parts of attempts to pragmatically conjoin two Fall vaccination campaigns. Funnily, imagine the Twitterverse imploding if these ambiguities were specific to COVID vaccination.

Edited by SirBillybob

On 10/20/2022 at 1:22 PM, Lucky said:

Are those here who are over 65 getting the senior flu shot?

Yes. I find pharmacies do it automatically, last year I only noticed it when I looked at the paper they gave me. This year I plan to get it at my place of employment, I've asked and they assured me they will have the senior version.  I'll ask again before the jab.

I got the booster plus a high-dose flu shot on Thursday of last week.  Friday, I didn't feel very good - pounding headache, nausea, fatigue.  It only lasted for that day.  Yesterday - I felt just fine.  I thought it was worth feeling crumby for a day to get it taken care of.

Edited by Rudynate

For old geezer Canucks like me, this depicts regions you are likely to access the higher dose of Fluzone automatically depending on your category within a jurisdiction. In some regions you would need to request it and pay a fee, maybe $80?, if it is even dispensed where you attend. If you are taking Fluzone as your vaxx at no cost (there are other products approved as well) and wish to double-check the formulation the pre-filled syringe is 60micrograms/0.7ml… standard dose is 15micrograms/0.5ml. I take the standard dose. The CDC adjudicates the evidence as favourable but of low certainty grade, consistent with the research I have been reading.  Not sweating it; pun intended. Happy poking. 

F774227F-41A9-4DB1-BC00-EDC4F08FB500.jpeg

Edited by SirBillybob

I got a cold on the weekend and am still coughing. Putting a mask on when in indoor places. Will work from home tomorrow when I was scheduled to go in at a volunteer organization with several elderly colleagues.

I had the same thing in April, no fever, nausea, sore throat or loss of taste and smell. I tested negative then and will test tomorrow just to make sure.