It's college reunion time again

FreshFluff

14 minutes ago, FreshFluff said:

This time, we’re going to eat all our meals in the freshman dining hall. Good lord. I'm going only because of FOMO.

Is anyone else going to one of these this year?

I stick to my high school and elementary school reunions. College feels too much like life. 

Edited by RealAvalon

12 hours ago, MscleLovr said:

I never go. And truly I don’t see the point.

I get enough “contact” with the University from the appeals for money and requests for a legacy from the fundraising office (despite its already vast endowment).

The fundraising “outrach” never ends.. I just feel obligated yo squeeze any remaining ROI out of my financial and emotional investment. If it was cancelled, I wouldn't be sorry. 

It's not "my" year,  but I may crash the reunions this year because they invited the two classes whose 25th were cancelled by the pandemic to go, which means there will be 3 different classes I had overlap with in attendance.

57 minutes ago, sniper said:

It's not "my" year,  but I may crash the reunions this year because they invited the two classes whose 25th were cancelled by the pandemic to go, which means there will be 3 different classes I had overlap with in attendance.

Sounds like fun. I should crash that reunion too. It would be less like being scalded with hot safflower oil. 

I have never attended one of my University reunions.  However, a couple of years ago, I made the sad mistake of attend for the first time a high school reunion. It was my 55th.  I graduated from a very large high school in Los Angeles yet many of the students in my graduating class and I had gone to school together for thirteen years.  I don't think I have ever been that bored in my life.  Many of the guys were gleefully discussion passes and tackles that had made in school games over fifty years ago.  Many of the women were chattering away about various prom dresses they had worn.  It seemed that for meany of these people life came to a standstill after they graduated from "high school".  The one thing that salvaged the evening for me was that I was seated next to the husband of one of my classmates.  He did not attend our high school and was also bored to death.  After a few minutes we struck up a conversation on a multitude of topic.  At the end of the evening we thanked each other for making the evening endurable.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, FreshFluff said:

I'm all gussied up and on my way over. My mood:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CeLI_VLoR4Q/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

You go girl!

I’ve never been to my college reunions but I’ve enjoyed my high school reunions. At the last one I met some cool people who I don’t even remember going to school with. One came to visit last month and we had a lot of fun hitting the town, now as 50-somethings. 

On 5/14/2022 at 1:28 PM, Epigonos said:

I have never attended one of my University reunions.  However, a couple of years ago, I made the sad mistake of attend for the first time a high school reunion. It was my 55th.  I graduated from a very large high school in Los Angeles yet many of the students in my graduating class and I had gone to school together for thirteen years.  I don't think I have ever been that bored in my life.  Many of the guys were gleefully discussion passes and tackles that had made in school games over fifty years ago.  Many of the women were chattering away about various prom dresses they had worn.  It seemed that for meany of these people life came to a standstill after they graduated from "high school".  The one thing that salvaged the evening for me was that I was seated next to the husband of one of my classmates.  He did not attend our high school and was also bored to death.  After a few minutes we struck up a conversation on a multitude of topic.  At the end of the evening we thanked each other for making the evening endurable.

What high school in LA did you attend?  I passed on attending my 40th high school reunion but did enjoy viewing all the photos taken. I wasn’t a big fan of my high school years and excelled in college socially…although I’ve don’t a poor job staying in contact with my fraternity brothers and friends. 

I managed to attend almost all of my high school reunions--usually every five years--through the 50th, but by then I was living thousands of miles away and it became too much of an effort to see fewer and fewer people I still cared about. I went to only one of my college class reunions, the 50th, because one of my favorite professors was going to be there as well, and because I was going to be inducted into a couple of alumni societies. It was worth the trip, because the professor died shortly afterwards, so I had a chance to tell him in person how much he had influenced my life. Surprisingly, another one of my professors was also there--the one who had taken advantage of me sexually. He had become a pathetic old man attached to his oxygen tank, and when I sat down next to him to speak to him, I realized he didn't remember me at all, which was just as well.

I doubt that I will attend any more reunions.

I have never attended college reunions, but have religiously kept in touch with two friends.

Also one teacher who passed away last July. It was just after his birthday in a nursing home in Massachusetts. He was very surprised that one of nurses bought two of his books on line. Nice birthday gesture!

Some people have wondered why I faithfully attended the high school reunions but didn't go to the college reunions. I grew up in a small town and went to school with pretty much the same kids from kindergarten through high school. But I went away to an out-of-state college and never lived in my hometown, or even my native state, again. The high school reunions were the best way to reconnect with the kids I had grown up with. My best friend in high school followed the same kind of path as I did, but we remained best friends for the rest of his life, and we always attended the reunions together. He even managed to attend the 35th reunion when he was dying of AIDS. As our classmates aged and became more sophisticated, many of them realized that both of us were gay, and often mistakenly assumed that we were a "couple." When I attended the 40th reunion alone, several of them privately offered me condolences on the loss of my "partner."

The college experience was very different, because I didn't know anyone when I arrived there. Although I made friends over four years, the only relationship that survived long beyond graduation was with someone from a different class, so I didn't have the same motivation to return for the class reunions.

On 6/2/2022 at 3:35 PM, Charlie said:

I managed to attend almost all of my high school reunions--usually every five years--through the 50th, but by then I was living thousands of miles away and it became too much of an effort to see fewer and fewer people I still cared about. I went to only one of my college class reunions, the 50th, because one of my favorite professors was going to be there as well, and because I was going to be inducted into a couple of alumni societies. It was worth the trip, because the professor died shortly afterwards, so I had a chance to tell him in person how much he had influenced my life. Surprisingly, another one of my professors was also there--the one who had taken advantage of me sexually. He had become a pathetic old man attached to his oxygen tank, and when I sat down next to him to speak to him, I realized he didn't remember me at all, which was just as well.

I doubt that I will attend any more reunions.

I'm glad you got a chance to talk your favorite professor that he had made a difference in your life. I wanted to do the same with a middle school teacher. I contacted the school, who's representative tried without success to contact her. 

As for the professor who took advantage of you, I'm really sorry. 

On 6/3/2022 at 10:55 AM, Charlie said:

He actually said, "You can't go home again."

Unbelievable! Thomas Wolfe is mostly forgotten now. Bit not  for those who live near the Great Smokey Mountain National Park or associatedAnthony Perkins with the very successful Broadway play.