COVID Gains After Mask Rules Dropped

Lucky

On 5/23/2022 at 1:19 PM, Unicorn said:

I heard on the radio yesterday that LA County's "cases" have quintupled, but no masks will be required at school (or elsewhere). Hospitalizations remain quite rare. The county health officials, like almost all public health officials, know that cases are no longer the important metric. 

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/data/#graph-hospitalized

051922-LACounty-Hosp

What a difference a week makes. Hospitalizations are skyrocketing in Los Angeles County and in Oakland, two of the largest counties in the country.

Alameda County has just re-imposed the mask mandate in most indoor spaces and other places including transit. Los Angeles County director of health said that if the current daily cases of 400 hospitalizations continues then it will re-impose mask mandates as well.

Of course our resident Dr. Denial will no doubt trot out his usual diatribes denying there is anything to worry about. 

6 hours ago, Luv2play said:

What a difference a week makes. Hospitalizations are skyrocketing in Los Angeles County and in Oakland, two of the largest counties in the country...

I knew you'd never be man enough to admit you're wrong, but your insistence on continuing to spew out BS despite what's now irrefutable evidence of the currently benign nature of the virus is jaw-dropping. Once again, you're posting without references to real data, so I'll provide them, though I realize it's of no use as far as you're concerned, since you're going to stick to your guns no matter what the real evidence shows: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/data/#

First of all, hospitalizations are not "skyrocketing." They are higher than the historic lows (unfortunately, I can't find a graph which shows the last 6 months for LAC, though I can for the US):

LACHospitalizations060222

Is that because more people are getting sick? If you actually look at the data, instead of foaming at the mouth, it's obvious that the increase is due to the far more steep (over 4-fold!) increase of the virus in the general population:

LACPositivity052722

So, if the virus were making people sick, you would expect the percentage of people testing positive in the hospital to be higher than that of the general population, right? Well, actually, the opposite is the case! While 4% of all of those testing are positive, only 2% of people entering the hospital are testing positive. And, as explained in an earlier post, only half of those even have any symptoms which can be attributed to the virus, so only 1% are admitted possibly due to the virus:

https://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/dhs/1070348_DHSCOVID-19Dashboard.pdf

LACHosp-Bed053122

If anything, contracting the virus seems to protect one from getting sick (though there's probably another explanation, such as that people being tested are in high-risk careers such as acting, for example those talk show hosts who repeatedly "test positive" without symptoms). And how many of those testing are succumbing to the disease? Well, let's look at Los Angeles County, population over 10 million, since you brought that up:

LACDeaths052722

That continuously falling number you see, now at 2, is not in hundreds or thousands. It's actually just the number 2. And, again, those are just people testing positive, not those who necessarily died due to the virus. 

The height of ridiculousness of your post (does it get any worse?), is when you point out at how high LA County's numbers have gone, the last place to keep a masking mandate on public transportation in place, yet somehow see that as evidence that masking mandates are helpful???? WTF??? As the 5/31/22 edition of the New York Times pointed out:

"...In U.S. cities where mask use has been more common, Covid has spread at a similar rate as in mask-resistant cities. Mask mandates in schools also seem to have done little to reduce the spread. Hong Kong, despite almost universal mask-wearing, recently endured one of the world’s worst Covid outbreaks... when you look at the data on mask-wearing — both before vaccines were available and after, as well as both in the U.S. and abroad — you struggle to see any patterns....".

Please, stop making a fool of yourself by posting ridiculous statements which make it clear you haven't even bothered to look at the actual statistics. Instead, try looking at the facts with an actual open and inquisitive mind, rather than with pre-conceived ideas. You just might be the wiser for it.

Here are the broader data, including the entire US. While I could understand caution or uncertainty in February, or maybe even in March, the data are now undeniable. 

53122-USHosp.jpg

Edited by Unicorn

On 6/4/2022 at 1:01 AM, Unicorn said:

I knew you'd never be man enough to admit you're wrong, but your insistence on continuing to spew out BS despite what's now irrefutable evidence of the currently benign nature of the virus is jaw-dropping. Once again, you're posting without references to real data, so I'll provide them, though I realize it's of no use as far as you're concerned, since you're going to stick to your guns no matter what the real evidence shows: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/data/#

First of all, hospitalizations are not "skyrocketing." They are higher than the historic lows (unfortunately, I can't find a graph which shows the last 6 months for LAC, though I can for the US):

LACHospitalizations060222

Is that because more people are getting sick? If you actually look at the data, instead of foaming at the mouth, it's obvious that the increase is due to the far more steep (over 4-fold!) increase of the virus in the general population:

LACPositivity052722

So, if the virus were making people sick, you would expect the percentage of people testing positive in the hospital to be higher than that of the general population, right? Well, actually, the opposite is the case! While 4% of all of those testing are positive, only 2% of people entering the hospital are testing positive. And, as explained in an earlier post, only half of those even have any symptoms which can be attributed to the virus, so only 1% are admitted possibly due to the virus:

https://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/dhs/1070348_DHSCOVID-19Dashboard.pdf

LACHosp-Bed053122

If anything, contracting the virus seems to protect one from getting sick (though there's probably another explanation, such as that people being tested are in high-risk careers such as acting, for example those talk show hosts who repeatedly "test positive" without symptoms). And how many of those testing are succumbing to the disease? Well, let's look at Los Angeles County, population over 10 million, since you brought that up:

LACDeaths052722

That continuously falling number you see, now at 2, is not in hundreds or thousands. It's actually just the number 2. And, again, those are just people testing positive, not those who necessarily died due to the virus. 

The height of ridiculousness of your post (does it get any worse?), is when you point out at how high LA County's numbers have gone, the last place to keep a masking mandate on public transportation in place, yet somehow see that as evidence that masking mandates are helpful???? WTF??? As the 5/31/22 edition of the New York Times pointed out:

"...In U.S. cities where mask use has been more common, Covid has spread at a similar rate as in mask-resistant cities. Mask mandates in schools also seem to have done little to reduce the spread. Hong Kong, despite almost universal mask-wearing, recently endured one of the world’s worst Covid outbreaks... when you look at the data on mask-wearing — both before vaccines were available and after, as well as both in the U.S. and abroad — you struggle to see any patterns....".

Please, stop making a fool of yourself by posting ridiculous statements which make it clear you haven't even bothered to look at the actual statistics. Instead, try looking at the facts with an actual open and inquisitive mind, rather than with pre-conceived ideas. You just might be the wiser for it.

Here are the broader data, including the entire US. While I could understand caution or uncertainty in February, or maybe even in March, the data are now undeniable. 

Once again  the virus doesn't protect one from contacting it again.

The ones dying from it in my area are all very senior citizens, usually in their 90's. But then the Queen had it earlier this year and survived. 

Btw, not to hijack this thread but the tv here in Canada has just been bingeing on coverage of the Platinum celebrations in London. Makes you think that when she does go, the state funeral will be unlike any other since Winston Churchill's.

I probably caught the virus on my recent 10 day cruise.  It was announced that 3 crew members had tested positive and were in quarantine.  The next day I had a headache and sore throat which lasted for 3 days.  Turns out, one of the crew members who tested positive was a guy who came to my stateroom for intimate play 4 times earlier in the cruise, including the morning of the day he tested positive.  He confirmed with me that his symptoms were the same as mine: headache and sore throat.

I had Advil which helped the alleviate headache, and I avoided alcohol and kissing anyone while I was symptomatic with the sore throat.

No additional cases were reported on the cruise.

Edited by Vegas_nw1982

3 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

I probably caught the virus on my recent 10 day cruise.  It was announced that 3 crew members had tested positive and were in quarantine.  The next day I had a headache and sore throat which lasted for 3 days.  Turns out, one of the crew members who tested positive was a guy who came to my stateroom for intimate play 4 times earlier in the cruise, including the morning of the day he tested positive.  He confirmed with me that his symptoms were the same as mine: headache and sore throat.

I had Advil which helped the alleviate headache, and I avoided kissing anyone while I was symptomatic with the sore throat.

No additional cases were reported on the cruise.

I have a feeling the only reason for you to share this story with us is to tell us you had a crewmember in your cabin 4 times

14 hours ago, Luv2play said:

The ones dying from it in my area are all very senior citizens, usually in their 90's. But then the Queen had it earlier this year and survived. 

Btw, not to hijack this thread but the tv here in Canada has just been bingeing on coverage of the Platinum celebrations in London. Makes you think that when she does go, the state funeral will be unlike any other since Winston Churchill's.

Yes, the very old are still dying. 

There's not much data about obese people and how much of a difference the vaccines are having with them. 

52 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

I have a feeling the only reason for you to share this story with us is to tell us you had a crewmember in your cabin 4 times

I shared the story to show that no one wore masks, and there were 3 reported cases out of 3000 vaccinated passengers and crew, with 0 hospitalizations and 0 deaths.  Of those who had reported cases, they were only discovered because of mandatory regular testing of crew members.  Symptoms were so mild it was less intense than the common cold.

Edited by Vegas_nw1982

30 minutes ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

I shared the story to show that no one wore masks, and there were 3 reported cases out of 3000 vaccinated passengers and crew, with 0 hospitalizations and 0 deaths.  Of those who had reported cases, they were only discovered because of mandatory regular testing of crew members.  Symptoms were so mild it was less intense than the common cold.

I know, I was teasing you! 

2 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

Yes, the very old are still dying. 

There's not much data about obese people and how much of a difference the vaccines are having with them. 

There is no reason to study "obese people" and covid19 vaccinations.

The Queen Mother was "obese" and she lived to age 101. This was before covid19.

On 6/6/2022 at 2:27 PM, marylander1940 said:

As an obese person, I find the vaccine has been working okay.  I caught and recovered from the Wuhan virus once before I was vaccinated, and then probably once after on my recent cruise.  No adverse side effects to report!  Thanks for your concern!

Just back from a quick 3-day trip to Houston.  No-one in Texas is wearing masks...anywhere.  Also on the plane and in airports, virtually no-one is masking.  I saw one other person on the plane with a mask on...other than me.  

Separately, COVID hospitalizations in Michigan have started dropping again.  They had more than doubled from the end of March till mid-May and then have gradually started coming down again.  COVID deaths have also started dropping.  They had increased from end-April to late May before gradually dropping again.    COVID hospitalizations and deaths definitely increased in Michigan after the restrictions were dropped.  

Let's see what happens in the fall and winter.

According to the news last night the rate is also beginning to drop around Chicago. We'll see if it holds, but many people I know had the light version in the past months, and we  good percentage vaccinated or with recent recovery from infection, it may turn out that with requirements turning into recommendations may have worked.  I also know a number of people who got the pill with a certain number of days and described it as a "miracle."

I just checked the stats that the NYTimes has been reporting daily for two years and daily deaths in the US are over 320 and on an uptick again. Given that translates into around 6 per state, I would think the larger states would be in the double digits. Or are the cases now concentrated in states other than the four largest?

On 6/18/2022 at 5:54 PM, augustus said:

In my state of 9 million people, the daily death rate from Covid has been in the single digits for several weeks now.  It appears that covid is mutating into less and less deadly strains, as scientists said it would.  

There is no evidence that the virus is less deadly. The country is mostly vaccinated, which is what is making it less deadly. The virus is becoming more transmissible which - coupled with removing all the mitigation measures- is allowing the virus to mutate very rapidly.

The next variant could be more virulent or not. It’s not sentient and doesn’t care what we want. The utter failure of western countries to properly manage this pandemic is a very bad precedent bc with climate change, we’re seeing more and more viruses jumping from animals to humans. 

1 hour ago, KensingtonHomo said:

bc with climate change, we’re seeing more and more viruses jumping from animals to humans. 

Ummm…you had me up until this non-sensical statement. 

The issue is too many humans on the planet. 
Which leads to climate change.
And it also leads to easier transmission of viruses.

Those statements are…True….True….But not necessarily related. 

9 minutes ago, nycman said:

Ummm…you had me up until this non-sensical statement. 

The issue is too many humans on the planet. 
Which leads to climate change.
And it also leads to easier transmission of viruses.

Those statements are…True….True….But not necessarily related. 

It has nothing to do with the number of people on the planet. Zoonotic viruses crossing over is due to humans entering spaces we don’t live; disrupting ecosystems; and climate change adds to that by disrupting migration patterns, deforestation ruining habitats, and bringing us into closer contact with bats, mammals, etc. 

The scientific consensus is quite clear. 

On 6/18/2022 at 10:54 PM, augustus said:

In my state of 9 million people, the daily death rate from Covid has been in the single digits for several weeks now.  It appears that covid is mutating into less and less deadly strains, as scientists said it would.  

It has certainly been a scientific observation that with each mutation the virus has been more contagious and less deadly/virulent, though I don't remember hearing any scientist making a prediction the trend couldn't reverse itself. The persistence of the current trend does seem increasingly likely over time, however. What is certainly true is that at this time, there's no denying that the virus is less severe than most colds, and it is not a present public health threat. It is wise, however, to continue monitoring the situation, since it would be a bit foolhardy to completely rule out a mutation to a more deadly strain. 

Edited by Unicorn

36 minutes ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Western countries need to limit transportation to/from the Orient.  Then the viruses from Wuhan wouldn't be a global problem

Unfortunately, the west can't stop trade from China without putting the global economy into a tailspin. Simply limiting contact to non-tourists would not be effective in preventing transmission of these viruses. Hopefully, China's learned not to try to weaponize biological agents, as it could and did bite them in the ass. 

8 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Western countries need to limit transportation to/from the Orient.  Then the viruses from Wuhan wouldn't be a global problem

LOL, the "Orient." Is this 1870? Zoonotic diseases can and do emerge all over the globe. Falling for divisive claptrap from politicians does nothing to stop pandemics. It just prevents the majority of us from demanding better public health measures. 

8 hours ago, Unicorn said:

I has certainly been a scientific observation that with each mutation the virus has been more contagious and less deadly/virulent, though I don't remember hearing any scientist making a prediction the trend couldn't reverse itself. The persistence of the current trend does seem increasingly likely over time, however. What is certainly true is that at this time, there's no denying that the virus is less severe than most colds, and it is not a present public health threat. It is wise, however, to continue monitoring the situation, since it would be a bit foolhardy to completely rule out a mutation to a more deadly strain. 

The Delta variant was far more virulent and deadly than the Alpha strain. Omicron seems to be AS deadly to the unvaccinated as Alpha was, and it's far more transmissible. I'm vaccinated and boosted and had COVID-19 last month. It was certainly worse than a cold. 

The claim that COVID is moving inexorably toward being less virulent is just a narrative made up in the heads of people who want the pandemic to be over. It's not based in science at all. 

Also, 40% of all the people dying from COVID right now are vaccinated. The common cold doesn't kill 40% of the people who get it.