COVID Gains After Mask Rules Dropped

Lucky

2 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Holy shit. You've got to be denser than a lead cannonball. News flash: THE STATISTICS AREN'T MEASURING THOSE HOSPITALIZED BECAUSE OF THE VIRUS--THEY MEASURE ANYONE WHO TESTS POSTIVE. Just look at U. of Michigan's data (one of the few hospitals in your state that reports its data individually):

https://www.uofmhealth.org/coronavirus/covid19-numbers

As of May 20, 8:00 am

• Total patients tested for COVID-19 at Michigan Medicine since the pandemic began (includes pending tests): 395,718
  • Total positive tests: 23,080
  • Tests pending (waiting for results): 50
  • Current inpatients that are COVID-19 positive:46
  • Pediatric patients that are COVID-19 positive: 11
  • Total COVID-19 patients discharged to date: 5,450
  • COVID-19 patients discharged yesterday: 14...

In other words, they test every single person who walks through their doors, regardless of the reason for admission, and are reporting everyone who tests positive, NOT people who are admitted BECAUSE of the virus. 

I would think it would be intuitive to almost anyone, even babies, that if the test positivity increases by 7-fold in the general population, that there would be SOME increase in the test positivity rate in those entering the hospital, even though the positive test has nothing to do with the reason the patient is in the hospital. You honestly can't understand this? The amazing facts are that the rate of increase is even lower, and the rate of positivity among hospitalized patients is even lower than that of the general population (not the opposite). 

Are you honestly telling me you can't understand this????

781 Hammer Hitting Head Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images -  iStock

Fortunately, the obvious facts are also apparent to every public health official, who agrees with me, and disagrees with you. I accept the fact that you'll never be a man who'll admit when he was wrong. 

You get aC+ in self promotion

And a F in addressing your fellow members

(, It must be a kick in the butt to never be wrong, @Unicorn  and accuse us of never apologizing. Think about how you  are outnumbered here, my friend)

2 hours ago, WilliamM said:

... you  are outnumbered here...

Wow. Thinking that the opinion of a handful of screwballs is more important than essentially every public health official in the country--if that isn't pathetic, I don't know what is. 

18 hours ago, EZEtoGRU said:

Personal attack much? 

You have no leg to stand on in this argument.  I understand how to interpret numbers and data while it seems you do not.  It seems the emperor has no clothes.  Sad sad Unicorn.

You've called me a fake doctor, Dr. Frankenstein, and so on, then you have the gall to complain when I said "You've got to be denser than a lead cannonball?" (and I didn't say you are denser). Now that's chutzpah. A hypocrite who can dish it out but can't take it? Look at yourself in the mirror.

Seeing strange faces in the mirror - What's really going on?

Edited by Unicorn

1 hour ago, WilliamM said:

Glad the Philadelphia school system is bringing back covid19 mandates as cases have sharply risen in the Delaware Valley

I heard on the radio yesterday that LA County's "cases" have quintupled, but no masks will be required at school (or elsewhere). Hospitalizations remain quite rare. The county health officials, like almost all public health officials, know that cases are no longer the important metric. 

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/data/#graph-hospitalized

051922-LACounty-Hosp

3 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

I heard on the radio yesterday that LA County's "cases" have quintupled, but no masks will be required at school (or elsewhere). Hospitalizations remain quite rare. The county health officials, like almost all public health officials, know that cases are no longer the important metric. 

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/data/#graph-hospitalized

051922-LACounty-Hosp

still peddling the same crap, of course.

34 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

still peddling the same crap, of course.

Yes, I understand that for you, hard facts are crap. That accounts for how you arrive at conclusions. 

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

but no masks will be required at school (or elsewhere).

Not 100% correct.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/coronavirus/southern-california-coronavirus/public-transit-mask-mandate-extended-la-county-coronavirus-covid/2899057/

And why did LA County just raise the Covid to “medium” from low?

https://mynewsla.com/life/2022/05/20/la-county-falls-to-medium-covid-level-as-cases-spread/

🤷🏻‍♂️

26 minutes ago, MikeBiDude said:

OK. 99% correct: "The requirement affects people on trains, subways, buses, taxis, ride-hailing vehicles and at bus terminals, subway stations and indoor port terminals. It also affects airports, but does not extend to airplanes, which are under federal jurisdiction....," but no increases in mandates, despite 4-5X increases in "cases." I will tell you that no one is wearing masks on ride-hailing vehicles. Also, my beau and I are going via Burbank to Pensacola on Friday, and the airport says on its website "TSA is not enforcing the federal mask requirement in indoor public transportation settings." It'll be interesting to see if people are being nagged on masks in the airport (obviously silly if you can take off the mask once you get on the plane). https://hollywoodburbankairport.com/covid-19-update/

The only time I've seen people masked up in the last month in Los Angeles County (and I go out a lot) is at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (and they still have their drinking fountains blocked off, which have been disproven as a source of spread since September 2020, so you know that the decision-makers there are not public health officials and have not kept on top of the science), and when we went to see Tootsie at the Dolby Theater. 

26 minutes ago, MikeBiDude said:

...And why did LA County just raise the Covid to “medium” from low?

https://mynewsla.com/life/2022/05/20/la-county-falls-to-medium-covid-level-as-cases-spread/

Well, if you read the article which you referenced, you'd know why:

"...The county extended the rule for either another 30 days or until the county sees a sharp drop in virus transmission, whichever comes first...".  In other words, they're looking at viral transmission, not whether people are getting sick. At this time, LA and NYC are the only places paying attention to viral transmission rather than illness. 

Edited by Unicorn

4 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Yes, I understand that for you, hard facts are crap. That accounts for how you arrive at conclusions. 

Perhaps one should pay attention to the difficult time a legend like Doctor Anthony Fauci faced here and elsewhere concerning covid19.

Lesson: pay attention.

2 hours ago, Luv2play said:

"Only 99 percent correct" Another example of minimizing awkward truths that don't fit Dr. Minimus's world view.

Pathetic.

It's interesting how I, but not you, will admit when I'm even slightly wrong in my statements. That's a strength, not a weakness, although you obviously feel otherwise, and is indicative of why you'll never admit you're wrong no matter how strong the evidence. There was an interesting discussion between a KCBS reporter and an LA County health official that I heard today. The reporter was asking why there were no masking mandates in LA County (other than buses and trains/subways) despite a 4 to 5-fold increase in cases. Firstly, he said that masking mandates had little effect (which I wasn't aware of). Secondly, he said that hospitalizations were still way down. Another piece I learned from the discussion came from when he said that of those hospitalized and reported in the statistics (testing positive), only half even had symptoms related to the virus (for the rest, the positive test was incidental to why the patient was in the hospital). 

So, in case anyone is actually interested in reading actual facts, rather than hysterical nonsense, the following is the situation in LA County. We have 22,000 acute care beds for a population of 10 million:

https://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/dhs/1070690_HospitalLicensedBeds03-25-20.pdf

0523-LACHospby-Covid-Status

Of these 352 are testing positive (or about 176 DUE to the virus), including 51 in the ICU (or about 25.5 DUE to the virus). This represents 2% of all patients now in the hospital:

0523-LACCovid-Percent-Util

Source: https://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/dhs/1070348_DHSCOVID-19Dashboard.pdf

Anyone who find those statistics alarming should probably be placed in a padded cell.

10 hours ago, Unicorn said:

You've called me a fake doctor, Dr. Frankenstein, and so on, then you have the gall to complain when I said "You've got to be denser than a lead cannonball?" 

I actually don't believe your are/were a doctor.  I do not believe you have a medical background at all in fact.  I have arrived at that conclusion based on all your postings related to Covid since it began.  So not an insult or personal attack at all.  You post lots of charts and data but your ability to understand and interpret said information is quite poor IMHO.

So...yeah...not believing any of it.

Moderator's Note

Please stop personalising the discussion, and attack the issues not other posters. This is about what the current state of the Covid pandemic is, and that can include differing assessments of what the data mean. If you challenge what someone else has concluded, do that without challenging their professional competency or intellectual capacity to draw their conclusion.

5 hours ago, Lucky said:

Why is it that @Unicorn rude post attacking the poster and not the issue still standing?

You could ask the exact same question about the post right above it. The only difference is that you agree with the other poster. And, FWIW, the post your question referenced is simply a question followed by a factual statement. I was simply mirroring E2G's post to show how childish it was. To insult someone instead of addressing the factual data I presented is simply not mature. The fact that those who disagree with my data can only respond with insults, rather than explain why they disagree with the data, says everything about those who disagree with me. 

It's simply a fact that the percentage of hospitalized who test positive for the virus at this time is 2%, which is about the same or lower as the percentage of people who test positive in the general public. This is miles different from the height of the pandemic when 25% of hospitalized patients tested positive and the percentage testing positive in the general public was under 1%. That's fairly unequivocal evidence that the virus has become benign. Almost all public health officials in th US understand this. Insulting me doesn't change the facts. 

Edited by Unicorn

1 minute ago, Lucky said:

@Unicorn I can just imagine what the staff put up with when you were employed.

How did they like it when you said nanny-nanny boo boo to them?

There you go, once again, with personal insults instead of addressing the facts of the matter. It didn't take you 5 minutes to prove my point. Fortunately, none of my staff treated me like a kindergartner or vice-versa. Although modified, since I retired at the height of the pandemic, there was a goodbye party and a long video of tearful goodbyes from the staff I worked with. 

Administrator’s Note:

Gentlemen, I don’t post these types of messages unless I’m reacting to reports. Please, stop these back and forth personal attacks and stay on topic. 

All messages that disregard my reminder will be removed. 

Thank you. 
Cooper Forum Administrator 

6 hours ago, Unicorn said:

There you go, once again, with personal insults instead of addressing the facts of the matter. It didn't take you 5 minutes to prove my point. Fortunately, none of my staff treated me like a kindergartner or vice-versa. Although modified, since I retired at the height of the pandemic, there was a goodbye party and a long video of tearful goodbyes from the staff I worked with. 

I am quite surprised that folk on the front lines of the fight against covid19 would have even a modified goodbye party. Obviously, not  your doing.

Many organizations cancelled parties for retirements. Some still cancel them.