Will most Americans be gay by the turn of the next century?

This topic is 803 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I honestly think people will just fuck. I think having things like a sexual orientation or gender will be seen as passe. Considering they are inventions of the eurocisheteronormative christian patriarchy, I hope there will be no need for us to follow those norms in a century (I won't be alive but still). 

9 hours ago, Unicorn said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/02/24/gen-z-lgbt/

"...One in six adults in Generation Z identifies as LGBT, according to survey data released early Wednesday from Gallup, providing some of the most detailed and up-to-date estimates yet on the size and makeup of the nation’s LGBT population..."

LGBT - American adults who identify as homosexual, bisexual, or transgender  2020 | Statista

I don’t think it works quite like that. I have no reason to feel that way other than I believe the species will do what it needs to in order to continue to propagate. 

12 hours ago, Unicorn said:

"...One in six adults in Generation Z identifies as LGBT, according to survey data released early Wednesday from Gallup, providing some of the most detailed and up-to-date estimates yet on the size and makeup of the nation’s LGBT population..."

LGBT - American adults who identify as homosexual, bisexual, or transgender  2020 | Statista

Is "Chris" bi?

1 hour ago, keroscenefire said:

I'm a millennial and consider myself pan...

Horny like a unicorn?

Pan. the Great God - Album by Josep Aznar | Spotify

Or sizzling hot?

Pan Frying (Dry-Heat Cooking Method) | Jessica Gavin

Edited by Unicorn

Jess Stern, the author of The Sixth Man: A Startling Investigation of the Spread of Homosexuality in America, seems to have been prescient. proclaiming in 1961 that "one out of every six men in America is a homosexual."  I remember this book well, since a professor in one of the sociology courses I took in college assigned it as required reading at just the moment when I was beginning to ponder my own sexuality.  Although I questioned his estimate at the time, what I took away from the book was that I was far from being alone in my attraction to men and that my professor wanted people like me to know this.

I suspect that the increase in those who identify themselves as LGBT from 2012 to 2020, as Gallup reports, does not document some seismic shift, but simply reflects the number of people who are now willing to to reveal their orientation openly .

51LBiHscofL._SX346_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Meh, don't studies show that in prison and other all-male environments with no other outlet, about a third will dabble? I'd guess that's the rough upper limit on this trend and the sharp increase simply reflects how rapidly general acceptance has increased. A greater fraction of the population feels they don't have anything to fear by being out.

6 hours ago, DR FREUD said:

Do people really think that Earth will still exist and be habitable to humans in 80 more years?  Unless we can develop domes to live under I doubt humans will still exist by the turn of the century.  

In 80 years, a smaller portion of the Earth will be habitable for human beings, and the size of the human population will undoubtedly decline to reflect that reality, but the Earth will still exist, and so will Homo sapiens, even if civilization looks somewhat different from what we are accustomed to now.

Polls that use “self-identify” as a measure of common characteristics are only as reliable as the people being polled, the questions they’re asked, and at which point in their lives they’re asked. I don’t know that one current generation is an adequate predictor of sexual behavior of the masses in a number of years. By the time there is a scientific method to accurately categorize all the variations of human sexuality, there will also be technology that tells YOU what your sexuality is and is not…

I've identified as bisexual since the 8Os.

But .. the minute I started hooking up with men on a regular basis I was called "gay". ( Even after I married and had kids ). Didn't matter ...once I penetrated a dude...I must be a homosexual.

People are very binary in their thinking. They cant wrap their brains around a middle ground like bisexuality

I believe nothing has changed in this "new" pansexual behavior. Only the acknowledgement that it exists.

Edited by pubic_assistance

On 2/20/2022 at 10:36 PM, Unicorn said:

This is a telephone interview of how many people and when… and what slice of the population did they interview~? Are we talking lower income, middle class, upper class, christian, mormon, etc~? East, southern, northern, mountain states~?
 If I took a poll via phone interview in rural washington state, Alabama and Nebraska of the number of youth who like white bread and cattle, (even if it were several thousand interviewed), and then stated that by some date in the future the majority of youth in the states would collectively also like white bread and cattle, it would probably be very far from the reality~ 

Edited by Tygerscent

On 2/23/2022 at 6:26 AM, pubic_assistance said:

I've identified as bisexual since the 8Os.

But .. the minute I started hooking up with men on a regular basis I was called "gay". ( Even after I married and had kids ). Didn't matter ...once I penetrated a dude...I must be a homosexual.

People are very binary in their thinking. They cant wrap their brains around a middle ground like bisexuality

I believe nothing has changed in this "new" pansexual behavior. Only the acknowledgement that it exists.

I did not really grow up with the concept of heterosexuality/homosexuality or the bisexual factor… by the age of 9, I began to hear those terms mainstream my peers but, I was raised with the idea that human beings have sexuality and are sexual. the other terms were not part of the concept of sexuality~

I don’t consider myself gay or bi or hetero etc.,… I really just consider myself to be sexual and have a sexuality. I don’t even classify my sexuality as being vanilla or kinky or pervy~ 

Occasionally, I use those terms, (in my profiles and posts on occasion), because it’s what the people I’m talking to are familiar with but, often times I try and avoid those terms all together. It depends on who I’m talking to~ 

I noticed while teaching and attending classes, (at Oregon Health & Science University and Portland State University), in the late 90’s that youth in their twenties didn’t really relate/connect to the terms hetero, gay, bi… they were more sexually fluid and less concerned about the labels~ 

That’s also about the time more labels were being created to define fluid sexuality and gender~ 

When I was attending UW-Madison, the gay and lesbian designations were used more for defining law: ie., domestic partnership marriages and domestic violence laws~

In the stonewall era and beyond, those terms were necessary to advance law and civil rights to include groups of people who didn’t identify as heterosexual~ 

On 2/20/2022 at 10:36 PM, Unicorn said:

If this were truly accurate and came to fruition, (and as a result there were fewer babies being made), I would be supportive to the trend~

On 2/24/2022 at 10:25 AM, Tygerscent said:

I did not really grow up with the concept of heterosexuality/homosexuality or the bisexual factor… by the age of 9, I began to hear those terms mainstream my peers

I don't think anyone over 50 grew up understanding those concepts.

In the 70's ...People married and raised families....if you didn't you were "queer".

Nothing in the middle was ever discussed.

I spent most of my childhood thinking I was unique in my complete dismissal of gender factoring in to who I found attractive.

I announced on my first day of Kindergarten to my mother that I met a girl who I thought was cute and a boy who I thought was good looking.

My mother explained ..."you can like the boy as a friend but you only like girls for their looks."  So being a good kid...I got the message and figured out a strategy that worked for me...KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT and go along with the script until nobody is looking.😉

Edited by pubic_assistance

On 2/21/2022 at 8:07 AM, xyz48B said:

I don’t think it works quite like that. I have no reason to feel that way other than I believe the species will do what it needs to in order to continue to propagate. 

All over the developed world, fertility rates are dropping.  The global fertility rate is 50% of what it was 50 years ago.  In the US, it isn't high enough even to maintain the population.

31 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

All over the developed world, fertility rates are dropping.  The global fertility rate is 50% of what it was 50 years ago.  In the US, it isn't high enough even to maintain the population.

I don’t see that as a problem on a planet that has over 7 billion people. I forget specifically but I think I read somewhere that for all 7 billion people to live lives like average US-Americans, we’d need five earths. Declining population rates, especially in the US, seems like a fine thing to me.

14 minutes ago, xyz48B said:

I don’t see that as a problem on a planet that has over 7 billion people. I forget specifically but I think I read somewhere that for all 7 billion people to live lives like average US-Americans, we’d need five earths. Declining population rates, especially in the US, seems like a fine thing to me.

I agree completely.   A population biologist might say that it is the species doing what it needs to do in order avoid being wiped out by overpopulation.

2 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

I don't think anyone over 40 grew up understanding those concepts.

Yikes! Anyone? Speak for yourself... As a teen in the 70s, I definitely knew I was extremely attracted to men, not at all to women, and I knew what the word gay meant. I had heard many say that young men went through "phases," so I at first didn't know whether this was a "phase," but as time went on, and certainly by the time I was 17, I knew I was gay and would always be gay. 

While I don't deny that there may be people whose sexuality is bi, pan, or fluid, there are definitely those of us who are extremely strongly attracted to men, and totally unattracted physically to women. Autopsy studies have been done comparing the brain anatomy of gay men and straight men, and the brains are physically different. As far as I know, these studies have not been extended to those who identify as bi, pan, or fluid, and I'd be very interested myself to see the results of those studies. 

13 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Yikes! Anyone? Speak for yourself... As a teen in the 70s, I definitely knew I was extremely attracted to men, not at all to women, and I knew what the word gay meant. I had heard many say that young men went through "phases," so I at first didn't know whether this was a "phase," but as time went on, and certainly by the time I was 17, I knew I was gay and would always be gay. 

While I don't deny that there may be people whose sexuality is bi, pan, or fluid, there are definitely those of us who are extremely strongly attracted to men, and totally unattracted physically to women. Autopsy studies have been done comparing the brain anatomy of gay men and straight men, and the brains are physically different. As far as I know, these studies have not been extended to those who identify as bi, pan, or fluid, and I'd be very interested myself to see the results of those studies. 

Huh?  There are members here who identify as bi sexual.

Edited by WilliamM

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

I think I had decided by 14 or so that I wanted to try sex with guys and was on the lookout for an opportunity.  My view was that if I found out I didn't like it, then I didn't have to keep doing it.   Took me until 17 to get it done.