Vacuum Suggestions

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 902 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I also have a Dyson, but would not recommend it. After about a year the dustbin started coming off in my hand every time I'd try to empty it. For a $500 stick vac I expect better quality. Costco has an LG rechargeable stick vac that looks to be pretty good and Black and Decker sells one that has a removeable battery pac so you can buy extras and keep 'em charged, I'm thinking about replacing my Dyson with the B&D.

I purchased a Dyson some years ago and am not impressed with it.  For a vacuum that’s supposed to be lightweight and easily maneuverable, it’s anything but that.  I usually go back to my old Oreck which really is lightweight and maneuverable, but I’m not sure the model I have is intended for hardwood/tile.  

My sister-in-law swears by her DirtDevil cordless  stick vacuum.  She said it’s better than any higher-end vacuum she’s used in the past.  

Dirt Devil Power Swerve Pet, Lightweight Cordless Stick Upright Vacuum Cleaner, For Carpet and Hard Floors, BD22052, Red

For as little carpet as you have, a stick vacuum should be sufficient.  Consumer Reports rates the Shark APEX highly and they’re not expensive.  I have one.  Also, my housekeepers, who bring their own, use the same one.   It’s lightweight, and with wood and tile, you only need to be concerned with dust bunnies.  

This is a sore subject with me.  I've never had a vacuum with which I have been totally satisfied.  I've had stick/uprights and canister/tanks, and both have their advantages and disadvantages.  I like sticks/uprights for their maneuverable but using the various attachments is cumbersome.  I like canister/tanks for their power and ease of using the attachments, but I keep tripping over the damn cord and hose.  Attachments are important to me because I use them on my tile floors, my furniture, my baseboards, and the corners of my walls.  I’ve owned expensive American and German vacuums and haven’t been satisfied with any of them.  I currently use an inexpensive Bissell which I bought at Costco and like/hate as much as any.   

I have a Dyson DC25.  I swear, if there isn't any dirt, the Dyson fabricates it.

The day it arrived I had just vacuumed, but I wanted to get the feel of it so I vacuumed again.

I was stunned by the amount of dirt/dust it collected from my just vacuumed carpeting.  🥺

12 hours ago, Pensant said:

I love my two Mieles.

8 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:

Miele

Another vote for Miele. Better suction and lighter/easier to carry up and down stairs than whatever we had before.

This past year, we started supplementing with a Roomba. Got it as a gift and it sat in its box for months, but now it gets used all the time. With Roomba, it helps to move some things out of the way for better access, but that's very little human effort for the work it does without you.

2 hours ago, poolboy48220 said:

I have a Roomba and I often enjoy watching it as it jams itself repeatedly (trying to crawl up on a chair) and seems to AVOID the spaces that need it most 😄

I also have a Rexair rainbow - it uses a water chamber rather than a bag.  Basically a 7/8 horsepower bong. 

I read reviews of the Roomba and the biggest complaint seems to be that it has issues with dark carpet.  The sensors read dark areas as a negative space, which it's programmed to avoid.  People have developed hacks to get around it, but if I'm spending several hundred dollars on a vacuum, I shouldn't need to "hack" it for it to operate properly. 

Where's Rosie when you need her?  

The Jetsons Rosie the Robot Publicity Cel (Hanna-Barbera, 1985).... | Lot  #97570 | Heritage Auctions

They all suck.

But I'm with @purplekow; I hire a housekeeper who comes every week, so I never use my vacuum.

When I retire and will be home more perhaps, I'll spend a little more and hire a naked houseboy to clean every week.  I'll probably still need to keep my regular housekeeper, to clean the spots the naked houseboy missed while he was bent over

Rather than rely on the personal experiences of individuals, you may want to search with Consumer Reports, where a large number of vacuum cleaners are all assessed objectively, and their long-term reliability is measured by responses of their readers. 

I have the RexAir Rainbow vacuum with the water tank and I love it. I think it is probably the best vacuum you can buy, mine was purchased used around 1996 and still works wonderful. It is cumbersome, but I only use it when I vacuum the whole house, which reminds me I should be doing that now since I talked myself out of vacuuming this past weekend.

3 hours ago, cougar said:

I have the RexAir Rainbow vacuum with the water tank and I love it. I think it is probably the best vacuum you can buy, mine was purchased used around 1996 and still works wonderful. It is cumbersome, but I only use it when I vacuum the whole house, which reminds me I should be doing that now since I talked myself out of vacuuming this past weekend.

Rainbows will last 30 years plus.  They're goddamned tanks.  My mom gave me hers and it's still going strong from 1984.

However, I'm lazy and don't want to deal with filling it.  I have this Shark:

https://www.sharkclean.com/exclusive-offer/ZD402WBKT/shark-rotator-lift-away-upright-vacuum-with-powerfins-and-self-cleaning-brushroll/

Great CR ratings for wood and tile.  It uses soft plastic fins instead of brushes.

I had a Dyson in my vacation home. Didn't like it at all as it always felt like it was coming apart and it wasn't entirely effective. Sounds like you would be better off with a canister, and Miele makes the best ones. Consumer Reports likes the Miele and Kenmore canisters with bags.

19 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

They all suck.

But I'm with @purplekow; I hire a housekeeper who comes every week, so I never use my vacuum.

When I retire and will be home more perhaps, I'll spend a little more and hire a naked houseboy to clean every week.  I'll probably still need to keep my regular housekeeper, to clean the spots the naked houseboy missed while he was bent over

Everybody asks me why I don’t have a housekeeper. The truth is that I don’t mind housework and really don’t want anyone in my places when I’m not there. Besides, I’m far more thorough than any housekeeper.