ericwinters
This topic is 924 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Currently Moderna is only approved for "3rd Dose"
(the term their using for the 3rd shot in immunosuppressed patients). 

"Based on CDC recommendations, third vaccine doses are available
now for people who are considered moderately or severely immunosuppressed."
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/booster-shots-and-third-doses-for-covid19-vaccines-what-you-need-to-know

I’m sure that Moderna will soon be approved for “Booster Dose"
(the term their using for the 3rd shot in everyone else) 
like Pfizer recently was in select high risk groups.

Unless you’re immunosuppressed, I’d say wait. 

If your in one of the high risk groups, try to be patient and wait
for the data and the CDC recommendation, then get it.

If you’re neither of those, you’re better off waiting for the rest of
the planet to get their first 2 shots. 

Maybe not the answer you wanted, but it’s technically the correct one. 

Edited by nycman

Recent data have shown that the 2nd Moderna dose is more efficacious over the long run than the Pfizer. Maybe it's due to the 4 weeks rather than 3 weeks wait? You can probably wait another month or two and see what the recommendations are. After all, it's only been 6 months for you. If the FDA drags its feet until the end of the year, then I'd probably just go ahead, assuming that's what the data show, and the FDA is just dragging its feet, as it usually does. 

I understand that Moderna is proving to be better than Pfizer in maintaining antibodies over the longer term. Evidence is also mounting that delaying the second shots of either, which was necessary in Canada and elsewhere than in the US because of initial shortages, actually worked to the advantage of recipients of both Moderna and Pfizer outside the US.

As a result, booster shots will not be necessary until later in those countries. On the other hand, Americans will need to get theirs sooner to maintain adequate protection against the virus in its current Delta form.

I received the booster shot of Pfizer 3 weeks ago.  My Dr. had to write a script for it so the pharmacy could give it to me.  I have COPD and was planning to make a short trip by air so the Dr. wanted me to go ahead and move forward with it.  No issues at all.  I travel a lot internationally so the more protected the better.  I'm in excellent health except for this lung condition which puts me in a high risk category.  My Drs. are all Hopkins...... I'm good with their recommendations.  Alive and feeling great here....

The UK has a booster (3rd jab) campaign currently. The only qualification is that 6 months must have elapsed from having the 2nd dose.

It’s primarily aimed at those aged 70 and over as well as younger people who are vulnerable or working in the caring professions. There are numerous vaccination centers, generally by booking online but some offer walk-in service. All very efficient. 

Unless the pandemic really recedes by the end of year, Canada will have to launch a booster campaign by then. I got my second shot of Pfizer in late June, three months after the first. And I am over 70. The federal government procured over 400 million vaccines at the outset, and while they were slow in coming, there is now ample supply for booster shots.

On 10/3/2021 at 10:08 AM, dcman said:

That's correct, you don't need a script now.  I got my 3rd shot first week of September before the booster was approved so I needed a script then because it was early.

I got my 3rd shot in the 3rd week of August. Things may be scheduled differently in different states or counties, but I just had to schedule online and answer yes to the question "Are you taking any medications which suppress the immune system?". Since I take Flonase every day, which works by suppressing the immune system in the nose, I could truthfully answer yes. It had been over 7 months since my 2nd Pfizer dose, and, since "Chris" and I were about to go on a 12-hour plane trip to Switzerland, I wanted to be fully protected. Since 10 million vaccine doses had to be dumped in the US due to not being used the previous month, I was certainly not denying anyone a shot by getting the 3rd dose. 

• 3 weeks later...

I got my 3rd shot a few days ago, 6 months after my 2nd.  Previously I've shared just how rough the first 2 shots were:  2 days of chills, horrible body aches, flat on my back in bed.  The first 2 shots were Moderna, this last one was Pfizer, and I'm happy to report no serious side effects this time.  I felt a bit out of it the day after, but after sleeping 10 hours, I felt fine.

I was dreading the booster like you can't imagine.  But now, I'll just make sure to find a place that offers Pfizer.  Even if I need a booster every 6 months, bring it on!

I've had three pfitzer jabs and had covid in January so I'm as protected as I can be.   Had similar side effects from shots 1 and 2, felt like I did when I had covid but symptoms weren't nearly as severe and only last 12 hours.   Third shot it hit me the next day and was dead tired for 18 hours.   Small price to pay to be safe.

My endo and GP both recommended strongly I get the third Jab and I listen to my medical professionals.   

We got the Pfizer booster on Tuesday, more than seven months after the first two. We had no noticeable reactions to the first two. Yesterday I had some muscle pain in my back, flu-like, but it's gone today. Soreness in the arm was gone within hours after the jab.

Unlike the hassle of trying to get the first two shots back in February and March, this time I just called the nearest Walgreen's and got an appointment for both of us to get the shot an hour later.