Grocery Surprises, What's Got Your Goat With High Price?

DR FREUD

I noticed in Ralph's supermarket today all pork meats 50% off. I usually buy extra-lean ground turkey for tacos, but they had a pound of ground pork for $2.89! And over a pound and a half of pork loin for under $6! Any of you know why pork's going for so cheap these days?

sexy pig prostitute - Drawception

Sexy Pig in high heels - Drawception

It's cheap here on Canada as well. Pork producers aren't regulated like others such as poultry and dairy. 

But beef producers aren't regulated either and prices of beef have skyrocketed. Maybe something to do with feed prices and international markets but I'm not an agricultural economist. I know there have been problems with the Chinese market and they are huge.

There are also cultural limits to consuming pork with many Jewish and Muslim populations eschewing it. 

On 12/26/2022 at 1:20 PM, Milo Janus said:

You want to know what gets my goat grocery shoppping?  Two things:  In California paying $.25/bag if you don't bring your own bags (!), and higher prices even though the store has less staff and more self-check out!  Corporate fucking greed!

I have come up with a perfection solution for $.25 bag bullshit.  Everytime I use the self-checkout I take a bag for free as compensation for doing their job.  

• 1 month later...

I read a different take on those same stats. Same hard numbers, but that the 0.2% decrease in grocery prices was “negligible” and “statistical noise.” According to what I read, gas and grocery prices continue to be unaffected by a decrease in inflation overall.

For perspective…

Groceries in 2021, $100
Groceries in June 2022, $109.10, 9.1% increase
Groceries in March 2023, $108.79, 0.2% decrease 

Big savings! 

39 minutes ago, Jaroslav said:

I read a different take on those same stats. Same hard numbers, but that the 0.2% decrease in grocery prices was “negligible” and “statistical noise.” According to what I read, gas and grocery prices continue to be unaffected by a decrease in inflation overall.

For perspective…

Groceries in 2021, $100
Groceries in June 2022, $109.10, 9.1% increase
Groceries in March 2023, $108.79, 0.2% decrease 

Big savings! 

Agree with your point, but your math is still wrong.

The 0.2% decrease is from February 2023 (not 2022) to March 2023.  March 2023 is still much higher than any 2022 prices.

5 hours ago, samhexum said:
5a358fedf4e703e57b5608687692576a
WWW.AOL.COM

Grocery inflation is finally seeing some relief, prices down 0.2% in March compared to February 2023.

Prices declined for the first time since Sept 2020.

Profits at some egg companies up 700%!

hypatia-h-4426fc5a2067c19a26d4ce54b9b6cc
WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

Cal-Maine Foods, the largest egg producer in the United States, reported revenue doubled and profit...

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2022 at 12:01 AM, BSR said:

I was pretty horrified to see eggs for $5.99/dozen before Christmas.  I thought for sure that price had to be for free-range or organic, but nope, just regular old eggs.  Apparently a bird flu has killed millions of chickens, causing a severe egg shortage.

On 1/13/2023 at 7:20 PM, misterhumphries said:

In the past two weeks, the price of a dozen large eggs has doubled to at least $5.19 (the cheapest I found); an 18-pack of eggs was $7.25. Can't do without eggs, though so I try to numb myself to paying whatever.

On 2/28/2023 at 1:53 PM, BtmBearDad said:

Beyond the items like eggs, meats, poultry that have shot up in price, what irks me are the prices on other items that as long as I can remember were always cheap, usually no-name or store brand, and for me anyone, things I’d pick up to have in the cabinet or the fridge as back up or when I’m in the mood. 

On 2/28/2023 at 3:16 AM, Unicorn said:

It's interesting that the eggs which are labeled "cage-free" have almost risen in price to those of "Pasture-raised" here in LA. A dozen cost $6 for cage-free, and $7 for pasture-raised. I guess the bird flu didn't hit as hard for birds which were allowed to go outside

Stop & Shop White Eggs Grade A Large
$2.99
1 doz | $2.99 /doz

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 1:49 AM, samhexum said:

5 hours ago, BSR said:

The Kroger app showed a digital coupon, a dozen eggs for $1.49.  If I can buy a dozen eggs for just a buck & a half, I'm gonna get all Linda Richman vehrklempt at the self-checkout. 

Now that I bought them at $2.99, the BASTARDS have them on sale for $2.49 this week.

On 3/3/2023 at 3:55 PM, BtmBearDad said:

I was always taught “Scotch” meant something from Scotland (ie; Scotch whisky, Scotch pine, Scotch egg, etc.), whereas “Scottish” or “Scot” meant someone from Scotland. Although Scottish can also mean something from Scotland, (ie; Scottish shortbread, Scottish tweed), Scot is singularly used, as far I am aware, to refer to a person from Scotland. 

BBD 

Well, a century and a half ago a headline in our local newspaper read.  "Scotch Success at Cambridge". It recounted the story of a "Scotchman" who won a mathematics award at Trinity College. It said four "Scotchmen" from  four different schools in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and St..Andrews  had come to the university. It ended by saying the "Scottish" universities must be given the credit for teaching mathematics in a supierior way to the English schools. 

In the nineteenth century that is how nouns and adjectives were deployed. Note that Scotch and Scottish were both used as adjectives describing "success" and "universities" resp.

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2021 at 7:39 PM, Deadlift1 said:

I now shop at Aldi and Lidl.  Trader Joe's is a separate division of Aldi Nord.  Aldi is trader Joe's without the psycho Karens.

Lidl has it's own Bakery pumping out artisan breads and pretzel rolls.  Inexpensive.  The bread gets sliced in front of you

Aldi to buy Winn-Dixie, expanding across Southeast

The retailer announced the acquisition of 400 Winn-Dixie and Harveys Supermarket stores located in Alabama, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia and Mississippi,