In Fragrante Delicto

jeezifonly
This topic is 1008 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I smell trouble.

This is for men who have a current or past relationship with a cologne, aftershave, or scented skin lotion.

Do you recall the first scent you used? 
Do you recall other fragrances that were around at that same time? Maybe some you associate with adult men in your family, or from gatherings like church, etc. 

Is there still a scent that triggers memory of a particular person? Is there one that immediately puts you off? One that makes you hard..?

Maybe you’ve abandoned wearing a fragrance.  Why? 
Is there that one old bottle that is not really good for wear but you will take an occasional sniff because it’s an old fave? Ever buy one that you loved but had to give up for work or a significant other? Are you a sniffer at the fragrance counter? I am, but never more than 3.

I haven’t worn fragrance in eons. Not compatible with nature of my work, but I am now retired. The Huzz has some allergic reactions, so anything at home has to be really subtle. I occasionally wear something if out with friends - most recent was Boucheron, a teensy droplet in with neutral beard oil. 

I was all over the map over the years:

Learning to shave, I put on some of Dad’s Old Spice. Then in Jr High, AquaVelva Redwood.
Canoe, Brut, and then British Sterling for HS I think. Givenchy pour home and Grey Flannel in early college. Then Halston, both 1-12 and Z14❤️, Dior Eau Sauvage, Aramis 

Then Quorum, Calvin, Jacomo, Lauder for Men and Eternity. Patou. Antaeus. Polo Crest. 

I rarely wore fragrance every day and always had a rotation going - never a single signature lasting more than a month. When they went bad or off the market, on to another. Anyone here wear the same signature scent for 15 or more yrs? Every day? 

Rive Gauche reminds me of the first girl I kissed, Paco Rabanne, the first dick I sucked. Polo recalls the first mad weekend with a new beau: shwing! 40yrs later wtf?

Theres a new top note common to almost all commercial fragrances on the market these days, and it is something I cannot be around for long, let alone wear. So I’m rewinding. I found Quorum on Amazon, and that one is great, but best as a hint on oil for beard or skin.

I loved the scene in Prime’s Halston where he’s broken down the elements he wants in his men’s cologne, and it includes tobacco and a worn jockstrap. I still will dot on some Z14.

What do y’all think? Or am I just being nosy? 

Edited by jeezifonly

My dna was altered by the pervasive smell of polo in college. Strong scents now just make me sneeze. 

Edited by BnaC

The original Guetlain Vetiver, ca 1980. Wore it every day. All of my clothes smelled of it, even after washing. Many times I was asked, “Are you wearing something, or is that just the w ah you smell?”

They have since changed the formula twice. More citrusy, less base notes, which is where the vetiver is.

I asked 5he Guerlain people in the French pavilion at Walt Disney World, and they agreed, it was a pity because the original was subtle and masculine. 

“Progress”! FEH!

The only scent I used occasionally in college and maybe in b school was Royall Bay Rhum, and I was gently mocked for wearing such a preppy scent. The only after shave I’ve worn for years is Kiehl’s ultra lotion with 35 SPF and no scent. I can’t stand any kind of cologne and have begged providers never to wear it, although one still does, which is why I’ve had to drop him. I’d rather a young jock come over straight from the gym without a shower than have him wearing some scent.

Old Spice was the first cologne I used.  My grandfather used to use something called Tabac (I think from Germany?).  I liked that smell too.

Now I occasionally (rarely) use Adidas and Tommy Hilfiger cologne.

Although I do have the Nut Rub and Crop Preserver (LOL) lotion for the nether regions.

Aramis and Grey Flannel remind me of men in my family.  They're comforting scents, even though I don't wear them myself.

I have a ton of cologne, but rarely wear it (as I have multiple scent-sensitive clients). 

At this point, it's a collection that I stare at, arrange and dust occasionally.

My mother always wore the perfume Joy by Jean Patou. I bought many bottles for her over the years. She died 13 years ago and I keep her last bottle on my dresser. Every now and then, when I miss her, I open the bottle for a sniff occasionally putting a drop on my wrist if I’m not leaving the house. I feel her presence every time. It’s nice. 

12 hours ago, gallahadesquire said:

The original Guetlain Vetiver, ca 1980. Wore it every day. All of my clothes smelled of it, even after washing. Many times I was asked, “Are you wearing something, or is that just the w ah you smell?”

They have since changed the formula twice. More citrusy, less base notes, which is where the vetiver is.

I asked 5he Guerlain people in the French pavilion at Walt Disney World, and they agreed, it was a pity because the original was subtle and masculine. 

“Progress”! FEH!

I don't wear scents any more and haven't for years but I remember loving that 80s vintage of Vetiver. Also liked Capitaine Molyneux. (It was Guerlain, not Guetlain which I assume was a typo on your part.)

Edited by Luv2play

1 hour ago, dbar123 said:

The sickeningly strong smell of cologne scents makes me nauseated. I prefer the natural smell of a guy any day. That's why I prefer beards and body hair......

I totally understand your disdain (disgust?) and based on hearing from HR friends, more and more people these days react negatively to really strong fragrance - to the point where it’s not allowed in some work environments. I am the same with any fragrance that is vanilla, peach or goddam pumpkin spice. 

I gotta ask you, though, how having a beard and body hair prevents a man from adding some sort of scent…

Between work, friends and (more than) a few tricks, I’ve known several hirsute bearded Daddies who smelled like “7 Days in a Whorehouse”. Some actually made it work. Chemistry is key. (Not to minimize the role of the whores who were in the house.)

Edited by jeezifonly

9 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

I totally understand your disdain (disgust?) and based on hearing from HR friends, more and more people these days react negatively to really strong fragrance - to the point where it’s not allowed in some work environments. I am the same with any fragrance that is vanilla, peach or goddam pumpkin spice. 

I gotta ask you, though, how having a beard and body hair prevents a man from adding some sort of scent…

Between work, friends and (more than) a few tricks, I’ve known several hirsute bearded Daddies who smelled like “7 Days in a Whorehouse”. Some actually made it work. Chemistry is key. (Not to minimize the role of the whores who were in the house.)

Beard = no shaving = no aftershave = no aftershave smell