Michelin restaurant list for NYC

cany10011

On 5/7/2021 at 3:33 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

I don't see how Peter Luger made one star, as it's been a dusty, boring, overpriced relic for awhile now. 

Approximately three years after receiving a scathing zero-star review from The New York TimesPeter Luger Steak House in Brooklyn has been stripped of its Michelin star.

While the news about Peter Luger, which was one of three NYC institutions to lose a Micheline star as Carbone and Marea also lost theirs, was somewhat surprising, it really shouldn’t be a massive shock as the writing has kind of been on the wall about the stodgy steakhouse for awhile now. There is still clearly a time and place for a cash-only joint with overpriced plates and rude waiters, but there’s also no need to pretend those are requirements of a fine-dining establishment in 2022.

6 hours ago, mike carey said:

That's quite the burn!

Peter Luger has been over-rated for decades. I'm glad somebody finally looked at the facts and came up with a reasonable conclusion instead of pretending it's fabulous simply because it's survived all these years. There is much room for improvement. 

To be perfectly honest I have eaten in Michelin starred restaurants in Los Angeles, San Francisco, London, Paris, Dijon, and Rome and I really do NOT see the attraction. I often think the food is created to be elegant/fancy simply for the sake of being elegant/fancy. Taste is secondary. Paring bizarre ingredients is of major importance. I also find it a bit much when, in some of these restaurants, the plates of food are "designed" using some rather bizarre instruments including tweezers. Presentation become the major goal NOT taste. Given a choice I much prefer the local neighborhood family run mom an pop restaurants.

2 hours ago, Epigonos said:

To be perfectly honest I have eaten in Michelin starred restaurants in Los Angeles, San Francisco, London, Paris, Dijon, and Rome and I really do NOT see the attraction. I often think the food is created to be elegant/fancy simply for the sake of being elegant/fancy. Taste is secondary. Paring bizarre ingredients is of major importance. I also find it a bit much when, in some of these restaurants, the plates of food are "designed" using some rather bizarre instruments including tweezers. Presentation become the major goal NOT taste. Given a choice I much prefer the local neighborhood family run mom an pop restaurants.

I tend to agree with you. There are many very fine restaurants in New York City that DON'T do all the abstract concept aesthetics of the Michelin Star expectations, that I enjoy far more ( at a significantly better price ).

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

I tend to agree with you. There are many very fine restaurants in New York City that DON'T do all the abstract concept aesthetics of the Michelin Star expectations, that I enjoy far more ( at a significantly better price ).

The joy for me is to visit the restaurants that are opened up by ex chefs from Per Se or EMP, etc... There are several great ones: Noreetuh, Tuome. Really great quality ones at fraction of the costs. And, they try hard to impress.  The starred restaurants are fine for celebration... but these lesser known ones are perfect for the value and they are usually located in more interesting neighborhoods. 

There's this incorrect assumption that Michelin stars only go to eateries with fussy, complicated food.

Sure, there are always those, but there are also just damned good kitchens that are cranking out stellar meals getting them too.  Consistent, delicious food.

I'd agree with @cany10011that the places to watch are those headed up by the former line/sous of the big spots.  They are finally getting out on their own and feel like they have a lot to prove.  This can make for a fun meal.

Last Friday night three friends from the US and I ate dinner at Belcanto in Lisbon, a 2 star Michelin. We had reserved the chef’s table in advance and were surprised that they had seated a solo diner dressed like a shlump at our table, a last minute diner. He was pleasant enough, but really? The 21 year old server was mediocre and hard to understand. We also did the wine pairing and on of our party knew more about them than she did. The food was what my mother would have referred to as precious, we thought is was in some cases revolting, and we’re foodies. The meal dragged on until almost midnight and came to €440 per person, including a 10% tip. The only amusing episode was the server’s infatuation with one of our party, a 39 year old woman. 

On 10/10/2022 at 1:26 PM, samhexum said:

Approximately three years after receiving a scathing zero-star review from The New York TimesPeter Luger Steak House in Brooklyn has been stripped of its Michelin star.

While the news about Peter Luger, which was one of three NYC institutions to lose a Micheline star as Carbone and Marea also lost theirs, was somewhat surprising, it really shouldn’t be a massive shock as the writing has kind of been on the wall about the stodgy steakhouse for awhile now. There is still clearly a time and place for a cash-only joint with overpriced plates and rude waiters, but there’s also no need to pretend those are requirements of a fine-dining establishment in 2022.

Luger's longevity provided it with at least 2 advantages:  (1) the legends who ate there in prior centuries; and (2) it was one of the few restaurants in New York allowed a coal fired oven since the NYC regs precluded them because Luger's was grandfathered so as to be exempt from the regs.  I always wondered how a restaurant focusing on steak could maintain it's culinary strength when it's been owned for so long by a family that won't eat steak for religious reasons.

On 5/7/2021 at 7:29 PM, cany10011 said:

There was a charming tiny 12-seat restaurant with a fireplace and gorgeous flower arrangements in the east village - 9th Street Market. It was one of my all time favorite spots in the late 90s. Sadly it is no longer there.

Lived on that block for 18 years, was a regular at 9th St Market. Such a great spot. The clothing boutique that went in after closed a while back. Dream of its return.

Years ago in New York, I belonged to a group who would eat once a month at one of the fashionable new restaurants in town. One Saturday night, we went to Texarkana. As usual, I remember nothing about the food, only the experience of glancing to my right and seeing Andy Warhol at the next table, staring back at me.

In my 20s, I was in Paris with an older gay friend who insisted on taking me to a Vietnamese restaurant, which he said had a Michelin rating. The only thing I remember about the food was the perfumed eel soup, which I had trouble finishing.

On 5/7/2021 at 3:33 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

Sidenote: I don't aim to hit Michelin spots. If it happens, it happens.

Some of my most favorite meals in Manhattan- and the boroughs- are from very small eateries, pre-Michelin stars (or none at all).

This new list has the same names as always, so I'm not sure if that's a testament to consistency or list laziness. I don't see how Peter Luger made one star, as it's been a dusty, boring, overpriced relic for awhile now. Gramercy Tavern is worth the splurge (and the star).

Of the three star spots, only Le Bernardin is a wow over and over again. I love their food.

Masa pisses me off. Their pricing is just bragging rights for the yacht rock crowd.

My preferred eatery in Manhattan usually has an umbrella and dirty water franks.  It is great in the winter because the heat from the hot water can knock out the winter chills and in the summer the umbrella gives a bit a protection against the sun and the sodas are usually very cold.   Of the restaurants on the Michelin list, I enjoyed Daniel and I agree that Peter Luger's is well past its prime rib.  

4 hours ago, purplekow said:

My preferred eatery in Manhattan usually has an umbrella and dirty water franks.

It’s one of my favorites too. There’s nothing better than
taking a break during a Met Museum marathon and eating
a "dirty water frank" on the steps outside. 

God, I love this city!

On 10/12/2022 at 6:42 AM, Pensant said:

Last Friday night three friends from the US and I ate dinner at Belcanto in Lisbon, a 2 star Michelin. We had reserved the chef’s table in advance and were surprised that they had seated a solo diner dressed like a shlump at our table, a last minute diner. He was pleasant enough, but really? The 21 year old server was mediocre and hard to understand. We also did the wine pairing and on of our party knew more about them than she did. The food was what my mother would have referred to as precious, we thought is was in some cases revolting, and we’re foodies. The meal dragged on until almost midnight and came to €440 per person, including a 10% tip. The only amusing episode was the server’s infatuation with one of our party, a 39 year old woman. 

How much was the wine in that bill? Just curious.