What to call my new bitch?

This topic is 1089 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm rescuing a 5 month old black lab tomorrow. I got all her beds, crate, food, treats, toys, water and food/water containers ready. I'm letting my possibly new SO, "Ben" from Pennsylvania participate in naming her. He shot down "Cindy" because he has a relative he hates with that name. He doesn't like Daisy because thinks that sounds like a duck's name. He thinks doesn't like Juno, because he thinks it sounds anti-Semitic. He thinks "Shadow" sounds too masculine. I don't like most of his suggestions. Dolly reminds me of the musical. Winnie makes me think of the Pooh. Macy makes me think of the store. Holly makes me think of Christmas. The only one we seem to be able to agree on is "Xena." Any other suggestions? ;)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wanted to name a dog "Rowdy", but wanted it to be short for something; all I came up with was "Rowena", which (if I remember correctly) is from "Ivanhoe".

A friend's husky is named Russell; he said it was after Bertrand Russell, the philosopher. He considered "Bertrand" but thought Russell sounded better.

I find there are a lot dogs named "Daisy", "Charlie", and "Thor" or "Loki".

I think it would be easier to name it after having the pet for a few days. Sometimes their personality will help determine their name :) Congrats! All my dogs had T in their names: Tommy, Tobey, and Twinkle. My cats were named after food: Mochi, Tofu, Sesame.

A guy who had a retriever would bring his pup to the dog run in Chelsea and always call her by her full german name, Charlotte (3 syllables: Char-Lot-te). It was way too precious, in an annoying way. Imagine shouting your dog's name in public like that.

That accounts for my knowing dozens of the dog names at the dog park, but knowing maybe four of the people's names.

If I get a dog that already has a name, I usually stick with it, unless it's one I dislike--I definitely renamed a dog who had been called Snuggels. When I think of a black Lab, the names that always come to my mind seem to start with M, probably because my mother-in-law had lovable black Labs named Marlo (after "That Girl" star) and Molly. I am partial to Mabel, Myrtle and Millie.

If I get a dog that already has a name, I usually stick with it, unless it's one I dislike--I definitely renamed a dog who had been called Snuggels. When I think of a black Lab, the names that always come to my mind seem to start with M, probably because my mother-in-law had lovable black Labs named Marlo (after "That Girl" star) and Molly. I am partial to Mabel, Myrtle and Millie.

Marlo sounds like a cute name!