What to call my new bitch?

This topic is 1102 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup... i know all the dog's names in the elevator and forget their humans...lol.

A veterinarian I once knew would arrive at his office, greet all of the animals in the waiting area by name and say absolutely nothing to the humans. He was so in demand any new patients would have to first be recommended by a long-time client.

How about 'Kim' or 'Kimmy'? One of the indigenous languages of Labrador is Inuktitut (Eskimo), and the word for 'dog' is 'qimmiq'... which sounds like 'kimmik', hence 'Kim'.

I asked "Ben." He nixed that one.

Chanel, Tiffany, Ebony

I like Ebony, but "Ben" gave it a thumbs-down. Chanel reminds me of the irritating "Channel West Coast," so does Tiffany.

A guy who had a retriever would bring his pup to the dog run in Chelsea and always call her by her full german name, Charlotte (3 syllables: Char-Lot-te). It was way too precious, in an annoying way. Imagine shouting your dog's name in public like that.

I have a friend from up north called Charlotte, and a mutual friend, who are likely to come visit at some point. It would be quite embarrassing (and it also happens that Charlotte happens to be black, as well).

I'm rescuing a 5 month old black lab tomorrow. I got all her beds, crate, food, treats, toys, water and food/water containers ready. I'm letting my possibly new SO, "Ben" from Pennsylvania participate in naming her. He shot down "Cindy" because he has a relative he hates with that name. He doesn't like Daisy because thinks that sounds like a duck's name. He thinks doesn't like Juno, because he thinks it sounds anti-Semitic. He thinks "Shadow" sounds too masculine. I don't like most of his suggestions. Dolly reminds me of the musical. Winnie makes me think of the Pooh. Macy makes me think of the store. Holly makes me think of Christmas. The only one we seem to be able to agree on is "Xena." Any other suggestions? ;)

I think you two are gay! - ⚠ Sarcasm Alert ⚠

Jokes aside, congratulations on the new relationship going serious.

It can only be that way when you involve your partner in deciding the name of the new baby.

Considering SHE will be living with you, what about Patience, Princess, Cleopatra, Rainbow, Hollywood, Lindora?

If you don't fear criticism from the PC Police, maybe you can find inspiration on the 20 Types of Black Stones for Jewelry.

Edited by lonely_john

If I get a dog that already has a name, I usually stick with it, unless it's one I dislike--I definitely renamed a dog who had been called Snuggels. When I think of a black Lab, the names that always come to my mind seem to start with M, probably because my mother-in-law had lovable black Labs named Marlo (after "That Girl" star) and Molly. I am partial to Mabel, Myrtle and Millie.

I like Mabel.