With a shine on your shoes...

purplekow
This topic is 1217 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It is interesting as to where your mind will wonder. After getting out of the shower and sitting on the edge of the bed, I sat and let my mind go where it would. Today, I recalled giving my father a Father's Day gift of a shoe shining kit. It came with an electric buffer and a tin of black and a tin of brown polish. It also included a chamois cloth to buff up the shine. I cannot recall the last time I shined my own shoes, it must be decades and I have not had shoe polish in my home for the same period of time.

I usually wear shoes which do not require shining, but I do have several pair which I wear on special occasions that do.

When I am in the airport or other location where there is a shoe shine stand, I will stop and have my shoes shined if I am wearing shoes which need it, or if I am carrying shoes which need it, I will switch out and get them shined. I must admit to enjoying sitting up above the crowd and having my shoes shine, It is now a pleasure I take and it harkens back to when I was a child and would see men up their in their suits, getting their shoes shined and I would think of it as the utmost in sophistication.

Occasionally as a boy, I would shine my father's shoes as a surprise for him or because I was asked to do so. There was something satisfying about the act and of course, seeing the glimmering final product of your labor.

I admit I am not much of a shoe connoisseur, but I am sure some posters here are.

When was the last time you shined your own shoes?

When was the last time you used a shoe shine stand?

Have you shine someone else's shoes recently?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will shine my shoes if I'm going somewhere I feel is a little more special. I have not used a shoe shine stand since about the mid 1990's because I fell victim to myself feeling that I could do it just as well (ridiculous, I know). While shining shoes is something I do on occasion, it's not a fun time for me, hence, I can't recall ever shining someone else's shoes.

It is interesting as to where your mind will wonder. After getting out of the shower and sitting on the edge of the bed, I sat and let my mind go where it would. Today, I recalled giving my father a Father's Day gift of a shoe shining kit. It came with an electric buffer and a tin of black and a tin of brown polish. It also included a chamois cloth to buff up the shine. I cannot recall the last time I shined my own shoes, it must be decades and I have not had shoe polish in my home for the same period of time.

I usually wear shoes which do not require shining, but I do have several pair which I wear on special occasions that do.

When I am in the airport or other location where there is a shoe shine stand, I will stop and have my shoes shined if I am wearing shoes which need it, or if I am carrying shoes which need it, I will switch out and get them shined. I must admit to enjoying sitting up above the crowd and having my shoes shine, It is now a pleasure I take and it harkens back to when I was a child and would see men up their in their suits, getting their shoes shined and I would think of it as the utmost in sophistication.

Occasionally as a boy, I would shine my father's shoes as a surprise for him or because I was asked to do so. There was something satisfying about the act and of course, seeing the glimmering final product of your labor.

I admit I am not much of a shoe connoisseur, but I am sure some posters here are.

When was the last time you shined your own shoes?

When was the last time you used a shoe shine stand?

Have you shine someone else's shoes recently?

My father was adamant we shine our shoes..myself and my 2 brothers. It was a dad/son togetherness time every week.

that was 55 years ago. At one point I became a shoe shine boy at our local barber shop. 10 cents a shine! Didn’t last long, and I could never figure out then why my grandfather got so many shoeshines! ?

I still have the Kiwi brand polish, and brushes and chamois cloth. Haven’t used them but maybe twice in the last 25 years.

I still have numerous shoes that require shining. Did a pair last week. During the summer I mostly wear sneakers and sandals. My winter boots require cleaning and polish since we have lots of salt used on sidewalks and streets which must be crossed. So lots of upkeep generally.

I went to a school where we had cadets so had to have a particular shine on those boots. Ugh. Later in life I bought several pairs of army surplus boots which I liked to wear to the bars in Montreal, Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Never worriedI about what I was stepping on in the dark LOL.

I can’t stand the smell of shoe polish. I almost exclusively wear Italian loafers that I’m very hard on. Pretentious people look at my unshined shoes with disdain...I don’t care. They’re good shoes and very comfortable.

Shoes were shined and inspected every Sunday before church. Damp cloth to remove dirt, Kiwi polish, buffing with horse or boar hair brush, a few sprinkles of water, and a final buff with a cloth rag.

For work over the last 30+ years, I wore black or brown leather shoes until the dress code was abolished and now it is a free for all. I go to the local shoe store to buy shoe polish or to match a new shade of brown. I also have the worn down heels on my shoes replaced for $20.

I typically would polish them when they were looking tired, about 3 to 4 weeks, or before going out to dinner, a wedding, funeral. More so in the winter due to all the salt.

As for the shoes shine guys at the airport, I would get to O'Hare a bit early before a flight so I would have time to stop and have a "professional" shine done before I went to Europe on business, especially if I was going to Italy.

My last shoe shine was at the airport in January before a business trip to Spain. I got back to the States just in time before the world stopped in March. They have been in the closet since I have been working from home.

I have several pair of dress shoes for special occasions. Pre-pandemic, when I would visit a business client regularly, there was a shoe repair store in the lobby of the parking garage. The people there shined them the old fashioned way - lots of elbow grease and pride. $10 a pair which would last for months. When you spend $$$ on Ferragamo and Bally, they will last many years and look brand new. Rarely do quality shoes go out of style. And you know how much I love leather. ?

My grandfather had a routine of polishing his shoes every Sunday evening. He was raised in a family where resources were limited and he only had one pair of good shoes through all of college and grad school. He felt is was important to keep them polished so they would last. Eventually he added a second pair of shoes so that he would always have available a pair when it was time to get the other pair resoled.

I've not been a frugal as my grandfather. About once a quarter I realize that a pair of shoes needs polishing, so I pull out all of the shoes I can polish and do them all at once.

I haven't done it for years, although I had 30 years of my life when it was a regular occurrence, spit polished black leather uniform shoes and (at times) boots. Our combat boots went from black leather to a light tan with a suede-like finish late in my time. I still have a couple of pairs of leather shoes but I rarely wear them preferring sneakers. Shoe shine stands are not as much a thing here as they are in the US, so using them is not something that I've ever done (either here or when I've been in the US). The one time I remember having my shoes (boots to be precise) shined was by a kid who 'hassled' the guests in the hotel where I was staying in Cusco.

I am old school in so many ways, including shined shoes. When I go out, except on household errands to the grocery or drug store, I am almost always in a coat and tie, and usually with a vest and pocket watch. I started wearing a vest so I could display the pocket watch, a gift my from a dear and treasured friend, and also because, with a vest, you don't have to button the coat, something which was becoming something of a problem. [He blushes.]

I shine the shoes myself and use shoe cream instead of polish, as it's softer and absorbs better into the leather. I then buff the shoes to a high gloss, usually about once a month, depending on wear.

I have a shoe shine kit containing black, brown, tan, oxblood, cognac, and clear creams, along with brushes, including a toothbrush for hard to reach crevices, and a number of shine clothes.

I have decided to consider this to be perfectly normal behavior, although such decision itself may not be.

When I moved back to Florida in 2012 my shoe shine box has set on the shelf without any use. I haven't worn any type of dress shoe since moving back. My collection is lined up under a couple of dressers and shiny and waiting. Will most likely go to my deathbed without ever putting another pair on. Its just a different lifestyle here and my days of schmoozing for business are long over, hence no need for dress shoes, or polishing.

Shoes in need of a shine and dirty eye glasses will be capital crimes when I'm emperor. Like everyone else, I wear dress shoes less frequently than in the past but I do polish them and use shoe trees.

As for my extensive collection of fine neckties, I have to choose between waiting until they again become an indispensable accessory or using them as wrist and ankle restraints post-COVID.

About 25 years ago I was waiting for a delayed flight from London to New York in the Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Clubhouse. They were known for their “fun” preflight services including meals, drinks, massages, shoe shines and more. The adorable shoe shine boy came over and asked if I’d like my shoes shined. I stated that they were suede and couldn’t be shined. He said he could clean them for me. He was too sweet and cute to dismiss so I gave him my shoes to clean. Later as I was talking to Richard Branson, (The founder and CEO of Virgin Atlantic. He was in the Clubhouse going around to the JFK passengers apologizing for the multiple hour delay.) the shoe shine boy returned with my shoes beaming. He had proudly polished my suede shoes! Since Mr. Branson was still standing there there was nothing I could do but thank him for a great job. That flight cost me a round trip Upper Class ticket and a pair of suede shoes!

About 25 years ago I was waiting for a delayed flight from London to New York in the Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Clubhouse. They were known for their “fun” preflight services including meals, drinks, massages, shoe shines and more. The adorable shoe shine boy came over and asked if I’d like my shoes shined. I stated that they were suede and couldn’t be shined. He said he could clean them for me. He was too sweet and cute to dismiss so I gave him my shoes to clean. Later as I was talking to Richard Branson, (The founder and CEO of Virgin Atlantic. He was in the Clubhouse going around to the JFK passengers apologizing for the multiple hour delay.) the shoe shine boy returned with my shoes beaming. He had proudly polished my suede shoes! Since Mr. Branson was still standing there there was nothing I could do but thank him for a great job. That flight cost me a round trip Upper Class ticket and a pair of suede shoes!

Does the Clubhouse still exist? I haven't flown Virgin Atlantic Upper Class in years.

Can one still buy shoe trees?! I tried to find some a few years ago and salesmen gave me blank stares

At certain shoe stores they push the shoe trees. I get a less than enthusiastic response when I say, "Thanks but all set," when they try to sell them at checkout. First, they outlast shoes so replacement shoes don't need new trees. Second, they can be purchased more cheaply as honcho's link indicates.

At certain shoe stores they push the shoe trees. I get a less than enthusiastic response when I say, "Thanks but all set," when they try to sell them at checkout. First, they outlast shoes so replacement shoes don't need new trees. Second, they can be purchased more cheaply as honcho's link indicates.

The last time I checked (maybe 4 years ago), Nordstrom sold a nice pair of shoe trees.

And FWIW, Washington National Airport has great shoe shine vendors. I much prefer them to the guys at ORD.