What's On Your Bucket List?

LIguy
This topic is 1013 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Fascinating. I had no idea it could be found outside Portugal. I wonder if you may find it in Latin America?

As I understand it, only the final part is done on horseback. The first stage (mandar/to command) would seem especially odd to me if done on horseback.

I guess the ‘toreros’ would all learn to fight on foot, and only some would be gifted horse-riders too.

It sounds like you know more about bullfighting, at least the specifics & terminology, than I do. All I remember is that the torero (technically the rejoneador because he's on horseback) remains on horseback from start to finish. If he dismounts at any point, it's a big no-no, and he'd probably get booed out of the bullring.

The obvious barrier to entry is that a bullfighter must master superb riding skills. The other barrier to entry I would think is even more of a challenge: training a horse to obey his rider when faced with a pissed-off, charging, 2,000-pound bull. Since horses are skittish by nature, to find & train ones that can handle the stress of a bullfight has to be a helluva tall order.

Wow, a fellow bullfighting fan, this board is more diverse than I thought!

I've seen rejoneos in Salamanca & Madrid, but on both occasions, it was advertised as a special event. I don't know if any plaza de toros offers rejoneos on a regular schedule. The number of bullfighters who learn their art on horseback is vanishingly small, I'm guessing.

I'm a fan of bullfighting too.... the bulls live 5 years, have plenty of room to run, breed and enjoy a life pretty close to their natural state. They're also given a chance to defend themselves.

I'm not a fan of "gestation craters" were calves and specially pigs are kept immobile to get fatty and not muscular. That's an inhumane treatment of animals. In 2012 Gov. Christie vetoed a bill making it illegal in NJ by request of Iowa's governor. Timing?

Back to subject on my bucket list: Thailand and China.

I made a bucket (pronounced ‘bouquet’) list when I first tested positive, long before A Bucket List was a thing. As HIV treatment was still in it’s infancy, I was only one test or clinical trial away from the decline that could be fatal. On the list: mostly things I wanted for me; Living to see big birthdays... finding the One, making a nice home together, exploring some extreme sexual boundaries. Looking waaay back as it was literally half a lifetime ago I can say all those boxes have been ticked, and then some.

Now...As I am slowly drifting into retirement thanks to Covid Closings, I see my next list as mainly things I must do for others to help bring about the social change mandated by BLM, MeToo, Marriage Equality and other advocacy groups for civil rights.

Thanks for reminding me @MikeBiDude. I know (of course) of the book but I’ve never read it. I’ll order it today.

Another book you may want to read is entitled “Or I’ll Dress you in Mourning” by Dominique Lapierre. (There may have been a co-author) It is the story of Spanish bullfighters including the great El Cordobes. I only saw one bull fight in my life in Spain in 1969 on my first visit there. It was definitely on my bucket list at the time but once was enough. I can still remember the gore and death on a sunny afternoon. Really quite barbaric when all is said and done. But I greatly admire Hemingway’s obsession with it and he also wrote so movingly and knowledgeably about that subculture. I believe he tried his hand at it at least once.

1919 attended a bullfight in Mexico City in 1904 and he told my grandmother it was the bloodiest thing he ever witnessed. The horses then did not wear padding and were gored to death quite frequently. Their carcasses had to be dragged out by other horses.

Another book you may want to read is entitled “Or I’ll Dress you in Mourning” by Dominique Lapierre. (There may have been a co-author) It is the story of Spanish bullfighters including the great El Cordobes. I only saw one bull fight in my life in Spain in 1969 on my first visit there. It was definitely on my bucket list at the time but once was enough. I can still remember the gore and death on a sunny afternoon. Really quite barbaric when all is said and done. But I greatly admire Hemingway’s obsession with it and he also wrote so movingly and knowledgeably about that subculture. I believe he tried his hand at it at least once.

Yes, bullfighting is definitely not for everyone .

.In Spain during January 1973, I had time to read Hemingway while going to bullfights.

To be fair, it was so long ago, General Francisco Franco was still alive.

Barbaric is placing pigs in gestation craters so they immobile turning their meat into fat instead of muscle (protein).

Bulls raised for bullfighting live 5 years, have an acre to run around, breed, and they're given a chance to fight. Compared to what we here in the USA do to pigs that's more of a humane treatment!

To the original poster- I wish you well in your recovery and hope it all works out....and that you get the outcome you want.

The whole "bucket list" thing is something I've stopped giving thought to because my mind changes all the time and life keeps throwing curve balls our way that constantly changes the playing field. Covid is a perfect example of that.

I am retiring on Labor Day and expected to spend my last year of employment doing more international work travel and trade shows....that plan went totally south with Covid. Moving to Portland Oregon and spending the next year or two exploring the Pacific Northwest by car. That's the only thing on my list du jour.

Barbaric is placing pigs in gestation craters so they immobile turning their meat into fat instead of muscle (protein).

Bulls raised for bullfighting live 5 years, have an acre to run around, breed, and they're given a chance to fight. Compared to what we here in the USA do to pigs that's more of a humane treatment!

Bulls are not Disney characters. Growing up in rural Massachusetts with a working farm across the street, I knew that. One of the farm bulls caught the owner's brother looking the other way in the pen. The bull made short work of the owner's brother. He didn't have a chance.

Bulls are not Disney characters. Growing up in rural Massachusetts with a working farm across the street, I knew that. One of the farm bulls caught the owner's brother looking the other way in the pen. The bull made short work of the owner's brother. He didn't have a chance.

I know!

You're agreeing with my point about them getting the chance to defend themselves instead of being cage like we do to pigs in order to make them fat and tasty.

On my bucket list and bringing this back to subject:

Becoming as pescatarian as possible! Go Maryland's crab cakes!

Edited by marylander1940

I know!

You're agreeing with my point about them getting the chance to defend themselves instead of being cage like we do to pigs in order to make them fat and tasty.

On my bucket list and bringing this back to subject:

Becoming as pescatarian as possible! Go Maryland's crab cakes!

Huh?. We don't know if twhe bull I wrote about was defending himself. The only person who could tell was dead because the bull killed him.

And I am supporting bullfighting frequently here, but they are not cuddly kittens or puppies.

And while you're in the area, go to Glacier National Park

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/bc/glacier

Also try to take in Lake Moraine. Near Banff but on a dead end road so you won't see it unless you take the detour in. Has a small inn there which is absolutely gorgeous. Nearby is the Kickinghorse Pass where they have white water rafting. Suitable for newbies and lots of fun. I hope these kinds of entertainments survive the pandemic.

way back in the 70s, I read The Book Of Lists and one of the lists was about Fodor's top overlooked travel destinations...one of them was the Maldives and this was well before it was discovered by the honeymoon and celebrity set and much before $5000/night resorts developed there.....#1 on my bucket list is a plan to play Robinson Crusoe and camp out on a deserted Maldivian island for a few days......just need a sandy beach, snorkel gear, a cooler full of food and beverages, a cot, some sun shade structure, books, and a like-minded companion.....officially, uninhabited islands are off-limits to non-Maldivians, but I believe this arrangement can be made thru local resorts or other local tourism-related groups......it's been my dream since childhood........

Desert-island-515x515.jpg

the Maldives was on our bucket list as well. Was also supposed to be our honeymoon but had to cancel everything in March. Lost thousands of dollars because we can’t get cancel for any reason insurance in New York. Rebooked to April of next year in order to cut losses. Hoping we can go but guessing it’ll probably get canceled again.

also had New Zealand and Europe on the bucket list

but hopefully I’m just being pessimistic

Trying to recover from 2 years of high doses of prednisone and now the docs have found a mass in my chest I'm starting to think maybe I need to try and fulfill some things on my list. They're not so spectacular but here's some of mine.

To see the Northern Lights

To spend a night in the Ice Hotel in Sweden

A hot air balloon ride

To finally lose my anal virginity and bottom for a hot hairy man dressed in a white shirt n tie just unzipped.

Hoping that everything works out OK. Keep us apprised, if you can.

Hot air balloon ride would be cool.

A few things that I can think of:

getting an IFBB pro card;

staying in Claridge's in London;

visiting Lake Como;

spending an entire summer at Cape Cod;

visiting Cappadocia in Turkey

visiting the Aran Islands

Staying in a country lodge in Japan;

moving to Sonoma or Santa Cruz,

speaking a foreign language fluently

have lunch with George Clooney;

have lunch with Emma Thompson.

What a great exercise this was. I had to really stop and think about things I wanted to achieve, places I wanted to go, etc., people I wanted to meet.

• 1 year later...
On 8/8/2020 at 4:23 PM, LIguy said:

Trying to recover from 2 years of high doses of prednisone and now the docs have found a mass in my chest I'm starting to think maybe I need to try and fulfill some things on my list. They're not so spectacular but here's some of mine.

To see the Northern Lights

To spend a night in the Ice Hotel in Sweden

A hot air balloon ride

To finally lose my anal virginity and bottom for a hot hairy man dressed in a white shirt n tie just unzipped.

Hopefully that mass in your chest has already been taken care of and all is well with you health-wise. I do wonder if you were able to cross anything off this list since last year.

Honestly.  I would die very happy if I just spent the night with a breathtakingly gorgeous hunk of man.  Just me and him - for hours and hours... talking on the bed and then fucking, talking some more, then fucking some more, and then one explosive fuck - the most incredible bang since the Big Bang.  Oh yeah.

9 hours ago, Merboy said:

Honestly.  I would die very happy if I just spent the night with a breathtakingly gorgeous hunk of man.  Just me and him - for hours and hours... talking on the bed and then fucking, talking some more, then fucking some more, and then one explosive fuck - the most incredible bang since the Big Bang.  Oh yeah.

You are settling the bar really low, because if you have the bucks, your list wish is easily obtainable.  It's funny though, everything in your life always comes back to sex.  🤔    Try thinking "outside" that box....