Toupée, or not toupée?

friendofsheila

I'm starting to wonder about getting one. I've lost a lot of hair, I've got a big head and I'm tired of looking like Homer Simpson.

In most things, I know the less money I spend, the cheaper I will look. It probably holds true here, right?

And where the hell do you get started looking? Toupées 'R' Us? DoesYourHeadLookLikeaBowlingBall.com?

Like my father, I started losing my hair in my early 20s, and being gay, I was very sensitive about it. I was persuaded to get a hairpiece, before the change in my appearance became dramatically obvious, but I found it a real nuisance to maintain it, and awkward when I was having sex ("Don't run your fingers through my hair!!"). After less than a year I decided I would be better off just going natural, so I put the hairpiece in a box in the back of my closet, where I discovered it years later and threw it out.

What about all of the surgeries they do these days? Are they too expensive? I must confess that baldness is a major turn-off for me. I'm not proud of this, but I can't help the way I feel.

I used to think of a shaved head as sort of an "anti-toupee," an equally desperate move that also draws the wrong kind of attention, screaming to the world at large "I"m going bald and I can't handle it." But after many years, I've grown to think that they look really good.

I don't shave but I keep my hair closely buzzed. I love the way I look when I'm freshly buzzed.

I shaved my head for a few years and then started buzzing the hair, which I prefer.

What about all of the surgeries they do these days? Are they too expensive?...

I dated a guy who had surgery to "correct" baldness and it did not look natural. He spent a LOT of money and it looked ridiculous.

I'm starting to wonder about getting one. I've lost a lot of hair, I've got a big head and I'm tired of looking like Homer Simpson.

In most things, I know the less money I spend, the cheaper I will look. It probably holds true here, right?

And where the hell do you get started looking? Toupées 'R' Us? DoesYourHeadLookLikeaBowlingBall.com?

Elton John is proof that toupees are probably a bad idea. He's rich. He doesn't look good.

Elton John is proof that toupees are probably a bad idea. He's rich. He doesn't look good.

I honestly don't think it looks that bad. Then again he's got a professional on call stylist to make sure it looks natural when in public. Probably looks like shit in real time at home though.

When I was growing up a neighbor was a news anchor on one of our local channels. We used to comment on how good his toupee looked on TV while being so very obvious in person. In fact, as kids we used to hear rumors that he took it off at home. That was probably an early urban legend.

Spend your money on a personal trainer. A hot bodied bald guy will get more action than an average guy with hair.

I wore one for about 20 years. Once I quit wearing it people who hadn't known me 20 years earlier were amazed that it wasn't my real hair. But I spent alot on it over the years, replacing it about every year. Each year my hair person would add a few more gray hairs, thin it just ever so slightly, and make it appear like my hairline was gradually receding bit by bit. So it appeared to age with me. I could have bought a car for what I spent on my hair over the years. After 20 years of that, I'm quite comfortable being bald now. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss.

Edited by SlimJim

I wore one for about 20 years. Once I quit wearing it people who hadn't known me 20 years earlier were amazed that it wasn't my real hair. But I spent alot on it over the years, replacing it about every year, adding just a little more gray each year. I could have bought a car for what I spent on my hair over the years. After 20 years of that, I'm quite comfortable being bald now. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss.

. Glad you had a good experience with your toupee.

There was a doctor one of the hospitals at which I worked and he wore a bad toupee. One day coming into the hospital he slipped on water at the entryway. He was wearing a hat and the toupee and the hat went in one direction and the toupee in another. A doctor walking in behind him picked up the hat and the toupee=, stuffed the toupee in the hat and then plopped them back on the sprawled doctor's head without missing a step. The toupee wearer seemed nonplussed by the situation and got himself to his feet and also walked off. As a witness, I was just surprised at the grace with which they both handled the situation.

I shaved my head for a few years and then started buzzing the hair, which I prefer.

I dated a guy who had surgery to "correct" baldness and it did not look natural. He spent a LOT of money and it looked ridiculous.

Even the guys in the Bosley commercials don't look good. No matter what, they always have that fake-looking hairline that's too regular and too thick. I had imagined that computer mapping would allow them to recreate the randomness of a natural hairline, but I guess not.

People are only aware of bad toupees. If it is a good one, no one knows it! I once got to know a stripper that danced at a bar regularly. He was probably around 30 years old, with long blond hair. Damn --- he was hot! After seeing him several times, somehow we talked about hair and he told me that he was wearing a hairpiece. I was astounded. I wouldn't have guessed at all! But I have seen some bad ones too!

People are only aware of bad toupees. If it is a good one, no one knows it! I once got to know a stripper that danced at a bar regularly. He was probably around 30 years old, with long blond hair. Damn --- he was hot! After seeing him several times, somehow we talked about hair and he told me that he was wearing a hairpiece. I was astounded. I wouldn't have guessed at all! But I have seen some bad ones too!

You can nearly always tell, even with good ones. Part of the way you can tell is the styling. The hair is always brushed forward on the forehead so that the hairline isnt visible Even when the color is a good match, the texture of the hair in the hairpiece never quite matches the wearer's own hair.

Jason Alexander Was an interesting case. After years of known baldness he decided to sport a toupee. It was an excellent one and in some ways he did look better. But at some point he must have said why bother. I started going bald in my teens.I subjected myself to Bosley's treatment to little effect. I even contemplated hanging out in their lobby wearing a shirt that said, "don't get too excited these are the results." Now I can't do the shaved head thing because of the scars left behind. I get hot with a baseball cap I can't imagine the discomfort of walking around with a dead badger on my head. I have come to peace with the fact that I will never look like anyone in a mens shampoo ad. That being said If there was an affordable miracle cure that would give me back my thick 17 year old blow dried hair I would push all you baldos out of my way...LOL.

Even the guys in the Bosley commercials don't look good. No matter what, they always have that fake-looking hairline that's too regular and too thick. I had imagined that computer mapping would allow them to recreate the randomness of a natural hairline, but I guess not.

I suppose it's really a matter of personal preference. I don't go around trying to figure out who has a toupee or transplant. For me personally, baldness is a major turn-off. I wish it weren't, but it just is. I think Daniel Tosh looked lots better after his surgery. Again, I'm just speaking for myself. I don't know if there have been any surveys to determine what the majority of the populace thinks.

f517fce705ab6a59f95fe0dfa9d76d9a.jpg