Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

Found the best time to shop. My local store (Hen House) has hours 6:00-7:00AM for seniors over 65. While only about a dozen people in the store, they manage to go down the middle of the isles or stop just where you want something and take about five minutes to decide while you wait.

Regular hours are 7:00AM-8:00PM. So I decided to give the evening hours a try??. After 7:30 the store is empty except for the staff starting to restock. Except for fresh fish having been put away, everything else was available. Except for wipes, everything on my list was there. They even have masks and gloves! Since the store was empty (maybe six customers), getting through in record time was easy and no checkout line. I do not buy their in house bakery goods which looked pretty low. From now on, I’ll be shopping at about 7:30PM before closing. (They start putting the fresh fish away at about 7:00 so on days I want fish, I’ll come early).

I've pretty much limited my grocery shopping to vegetables (and lube … not related), alcohol and garden/repair stuff. I've only had to line up outside at the liquor store. A couple of times the check-out lines have been longer than usual, but not so bad. People are chatty and in good spirits in the line ups, we're all in the same predicament.

There's not room for a large can, so I bought a small one that hangs off the inside of my undersink cabinet door. Although they now sell bags to fit, it was originally designed for use with plastic grocery bags.

If you ever get tired of that small can (I did) you can replace it with a roll-out undersink full size can. https://www.amazon.com/simplehuman-Counter-Kitchen-Pull-Out-Heavy-Duty/dp/B0002XD08Y IKEA has them even cheaper.

I really haven't had much of a problem buying the things I need. I'm doing a once a week grocery run on Mondays. Toilet paper, paper towels and disinfectant products are still scarce although god only knows why. I hate to think what the garages of some of the people buying all these products, in huge quantities, must look like.

I’m a carnivore and buy meat on sale. I have a vacuum sealer which allows me to repack the meat in individual sized packages that don’t get freezer burn. Thus I have a good supply of meats in my freezer. The Wall Street Journal had an article this morning (4/24) stating that we “may” be in for a meat shortage because of the closure of so many processing plants. The article claims that the problem will be greatest with the various cuts that are labor intensive to prepare i.e. boneless skinless chicken pieces and all forms of ground meat including beef, chicken and turkey. It also seems that many hog farmers are euthanizing their pigs and burying them because processing plants can’t use them.

I really haven't had much of a problem buying the things I need. I'm doing a once a week grocery run on Mondays. Toilet paper, paper towels and disinfectant products are still scarce although god only knows why. I hate to think what the garages of some of the people buying all these products, in huge quantities, must look like.

I’m a carnivore and buy meat on sale. I have a vacuum sealer which allows me to repack the meat in individual sized packages that don’t get freezer burn. Thus I have a good supply of meats in my freezer. The Wall Street Journal had an article this morning (4/24) stating that we “may” be in for a meat shortage because of the closure of so many processing plants. The article claims that the problem will be greatest with the various cuts that are labor intensive to prepare i.e. boneless skinless chicken pieces and all forms of ground meat including beef, chicken and turkey. It also seems that many hog farmers are euthanizing their pigs and burying them because processing plants can’t use them.

Glad I just got my order from Omaha Steaks.... Can't be without my MEAT ! :p

Just returned from a trip to my local Jewel. It was moderately crowded. One woman going the wrong way down the aisle yelling "social distancing!" (as if possible) and thankfully the guy passing her said "yes, and you are going the wrong way down the aisle - these are one way aisles". Of course, she didn't "hear" that. I think I am now pretty set for a couple weeks. I may try delivery though when I was checking the Jewel site for delivery and using my store, it did not show all the different variety of block cheese. I thought they were out, but not in the store. So it appears that delivery might not be optimal.

If you ever get tired of that small can (I did) you can replace it with a roll-out undersink full size can. https://www.amazon.com/simplehuman-Counter-Kitchen-Pull-Out-Heavy-Duty/dp/B0002XD08Y IKEA has them even cheaper.

Thanks for the tip. The sink is oddly configured and the larger one won't fit. :( That said, I never have a bag of festering trash in the kitchen. The trash chute is next to my unit, so every night I remove the trash bag, scoop the cats' box, and toss the bag down the chute.

Just returned from a trip to my local Jewel. It was moderately crowded. One woman going the wrong way down the aisle yelling "social distancing!" (as if possible) and thankfully the guy passing her said "yes, and you are going the wrong way down the aisle - these are one way aisles". Of course, she didn't "hear" that. I think I am now pretty set for a couple weeks. I may try delivery though when I was checking the Jewel site for delivery and using my store, it did not show all the different variety of block cheese. I thought they were out, but not in the store. So it appears that delivery might not be optimal.

Today was the first time I had to grocery shop. I have been going to local farms. OMG. People going down the wrong aisles screaming you are too close and they are all over 80! Uh, hello, you get the store to yourself from 8 to 9am in Massachusetts. Go then and stop fucking up my shopping! HA!

I took a trip to Stop-N-Shop is college Point this week

I miss Pathmark. :(

You could've gone to BJ's and/or ShopRite on 20th Ave as long as you were already there. I'd have given you a list. ;)

Did you go during senior hour? Were they checking IDs to prove people were over 60? I heard about one store that actually was doing that. I'm only 57 (and a half!), but am disabled with lung issues, so I'd want to go early.

Because of California's attempt to limit the use of plastic bags, for the past couple of years grocery stores have been required to charge customers who don't bring their own bags for the use of the store's bags. That law has apparently been suspended, because some stores will no longer let you bring your own bags into the store, so you have to use the store's plastic bags. I would much rather use my own bags, and pack them myself.

I do the majority of my shopping at Safeway (which is Von's in southern California). It also does not permit me to bring my own paper bags into the store, but I asked if I could just put the items back into the cart *unbagged*, and then bag them at my car, and the cashier was willing to let me do that. I showed the security guard the receipt on my way out and he told me he wouldn't have questioned it had I not.

I miss Pathmark. :(

You could've gone to BJ's and/or ShopRite on 20th Ave as long as you were already there. I'd have given you a list. ;)

Did you go during senior hour? Were they checking IDs to prove people were over 60? I heard about one store that actually was doing that. I'm only 57 (and a half!), but am disabled with lung issues, so I'd want to go early.

I am a morning person, but find I am sleeping later these days.... I went during regular hours, and it wasnt too crowded, certainly was able to distance IN the store. I dont have a BJ's card, but I might try Shoprite next time. I remember that store when it was Waldbaums.

I have a neighbor and pseudo-friend who is elderly and disabled. She owns her co-op apt here, has IRA and SS income. She spends tons of money on PeaPod and Instcart, and has other friends and acquaintances bringing her stuff...

Last night she emails me she signed up for the NYC food delivery service which delivers food to the "needy", and she will be receiving her first delivery this Sunday. I read her email, in fact read it twice, and then said to myself WTF ??? It made me feel some kind of way. It angered me.... So I emailed her and told her so, and asked her HOW she could take resources from those people that really NEED it and cant afford it ? She writes me back and says she doesn't agree with my assessment, and that she doesn't feel she is robbing anything from anyone. She says she cant go shopping, and is uncomfortable asking people to get her things. Plus, the PeaPod deliveries are so erratic, and she often doesn't get what she wants, or it takes too long, and with the NYC service she can get groceries (you cant choose your items, it fixed) every 2 days....

I am still angry and disgusted. Do you guys think she is misguided and just doesn't get the point or just a selfish bitch, which I am leaning towards.?

If there was a way to report her, I WOULD......

jjkrkwood that one is a difficult call. By nature I am a highly judgemental person but during this current situation I'm trying to adopt a more accepting attitude. If people can live with their own behavior I'm trying to live with it as well.

Now the one thing I have NEVER done and hope I will never have to do is have home deliveried groceries. I never buy prepackaged fruits, vegetables and seldom buy prepackaged meats. I'm extremely fussy about the produce and meats I buy. I want to inspect them before I purchase them. I'm also buy general groceries by band name ie. Best Foods/Hellman's mayonnaise, Heinz Ketchup, tomato sauce and tomato paste, etc., etc. Now I will be 80 in October but fortunately have no major health issues so on Mondays I make a weekly grocery run to my local Stater Bros. Hopefully I will be able to continue to do so.

I have a neighbor and pseudo-friend who is elderly and disabled. She owns her co-op apt here, has IRA and SS income. She spends tons of money on PeaPod and Instcart, and has other friends and acquaintances bringing her stuff...

Last night she emails me she signed up for the NYC food delivery service which delivers food to the "needy", and she will be receiving her first delivery this Sunday. I read her email, in fact read it twice, and then said to myself WTF ??? It made me feel some kind of way. It angered me.... So I emailed her and told her so, and asked her HOW she could take resources from those people that really NEED it and cant afford it ? She writes me back and says she doesn't agree with my assessment, and that she doesn't feel she is robbing anything from anyone. She says she cant go shopping, and is uncomfortable asking people to get her things. Plus, the PeaPod deliveries are so erratic, and she often doesn't get what she wants, or it takes too long, and with the NYC service she can get groceries (you cant choose your items, it fixed) every 2 days....

I am still angry and disgusted. Do you guys think she is misguided and just doesn't get the point or just a selfish bitch, which I am leaning towards.?

Unfortunately, people can mentally justify almost any action they want. Mental gymnastics are a human trait.

As for people taking advantage of programs meant for someone else, it happens all the time.

I just shop every 2 weeks. My 3 friends/neighbors in my building and I always share shopping lists whenever anyone is making a bulk delivery order or running out for some light stuff and we pick things up for each other. I also take out 2 to 3 times weekly so i don‘t do much cooking as I sometimes stretch out 1 meal into 2. The only thing i really miss is going to chinatown for dimsum - i love the frenetic pace and the crowds, but i don’t see myself going there in the near future. Prior to the pandemic, i rarely ate at home and I can remember how infrequently i would have to use my dishwasher - perhaps once a week? Now i have to run it everyday. I‘ve learned to make sourdough bread and baguettes and am a fairly good cook, but would always prefer the variety and selection of cuisines that NYC has to offer.

jjkrkwood that one is a difficult call. By nature I am a highly judgemental person but during this current situation I'm trying to adopt a more accepting attitude. If people can live with their own behavior I'm trying to live with it as well.

Now the one thing I have NEVER done and hope I will never have to do is have home deliveried groceries. I never buy prepackaged fruits, vegetables and seldom buy prepackaged meats. I'm extremely fussy about the produce and meats I buy. I want to inspect them before I purchase them. I'm also buy general groceries by band name ie. Best Foods/Hellman's mayonnaise, Heinz Ketchup, tomato sauce and tomato paste, etc., etc. Now I will be 80 in October but fortunately have no major health issues so on Mondays I make a weekly grocery run to my local Stater Bros. Hopefully I will be able to continue to do so.

+1. But I can't imagine anyone would ever call you "judgmental"!:rolleyes:;)

she appears to be very selfish but there is a great deal of that running around lately

Edited by craigville beach

I was at Publix (again) this time some older man was going the wrong way..no gloves..no mask...touching everything. I told him wrong way...."I don't have to follow your laws?"...Saw him again in the checkout line...he left his wallet home....

More than 50% of shoppers had no protection at all....WTF is wrong with people?...Once again the SHIPT grocery shoppers congregating and blocking carts....

I wear a mask and gloves when shopping...I refuse to let the morons pull me down or infect me.....We will never get out of this mess when 50% of the population believes they are invincible....

I am 69, and live a similar lifestyle.. NEVER buy groceries online, YET.... You are a spry and fit gentleman with a positive attitude and that will take you far. I have concerns about the future, but since we cant see the future, I am taking one day at a time.

Stay well buddy.... (hope you received my Matzoh Brei recipe I sent?)