Anybody still go to gay bars?

Hoover42
This topic is 1729 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I used to go out to the bars in DC every weekend like clockwork. However, these days, not so much. I think I would probably stand out like a sore thumb in a sea of twenty-somethings. :(

In fact, I can't remember the last time I went to a gay bar in DC with the exception of one visit to Secrets a few years ago.

Just curious, any of you alter cockers visit gay bars (not strip clubs!) these days, either to hang out or to look for a hookup? :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One reason I like Fort Lauderdale is that it still has a lively bar scene. It may have to do with the higher average age, gays for whom the bars were places we could relax and meet. The high cost of space in urban areas and the the rise of apps like grindr & scruff have changed Boston & Providence.

I used to go out to the bars in DC every weekend like clockwork. However, these days, not so much. I think I would probably stand out like a sore thumb in a sea of twenty-somethings. :(

In fact, I can't remember the last time I went to a gay bar in DC with the exception of one visit to Secrets a few years ago.

Just curious, any of you alter cockers visit gay bars (not strip clubs!) these days, either to hang out or to look for a hookup? :)

Mostly with my ball team

There’s hardly any gay bars left In DC and the major urban centers it seems. I have fond memories of the Fraternity House/Omega, Badlands, Lost and Found, and few others.

Oddly enough, the only gay bar I could not stand and felt uncomfortable visiting is JR’s Bar on 17th Street. The vibe in that bar just never made me feel welcome. Still doesn’t to this day. The HRC-ALister wannabes have too much pretentious attitude from my experience. This is odd as I’ve been to the JR’s in Dallas and Houston and not found that type of vibe.

Just read that Town Discotheque may reopen again in a few months on Capitol Hill in the former First Baptist Church. Might be worth visiting.

There’s hardly any gay bars left In DC and the major urban centers it seems. I have fond memories of the Fraternity House/Omega, Badlands, Lost and Found, and few others.

Oddly enough, the only gay bar I could not stand and felt uncomfortable visiting is JR’s Bar on 17th Street. The vibe in that bar just never made me feel welcome. Still doesn’t to this day. The HRC-ALister wannabes have too much pretentious attitude from my experience. This is odd as I’ve been to the JR’s in Dallas and Houston and not found that type of vibe.

Just read that Town Discotheque may reopen again in a few months on Capitol Hill in the former First Baptist Church. Might be worth visiting.

Good post.

I’ve always hated JRs as well.

It always had a “Twinky-Trashy” vibe to it.

I've never been a fan of the club scene or gay bars to begin with.

They served a real purpose at one point, but now, I'm not so sure. That is the heart of this conversation.

However... Give me a jazz club or great piano bar and I'm all in.

http://www.screamingqueens.com/files/images/Liza-Jazzhands-Web.jpg

I wonder if anyone still goes as well. But I also acknowledge that my interest has waned based on my age. I was actively going 17-20 years ago. But now, I just feel to old to deal with the scene.

That said, I found myself in SF a few times this year. Accidents/traffic on my route home.. or just curious. And my haunts were empty at what were formerly prime hours. Sunday 5pm beer bust hours. Or Friday night approaching 11pm.

I like to think its social progress. That younger folk are out and about in establishments where patrons dont care. Where two gay guys with three straight and one bi- buddy are all hanging together, and any one of them could find a hookup there.., or discuss attractions.

I'm ok if gay bars are dying due to progressive lack of demand. Far from naive, I worry a bit that theyre losing business in MAGA-regions because people are aware of hate behaviors.

Nellies is still popular and has a wonderfully diverse crowd!

No, I don't go.

@Hoover42. NYC has so many gay bars. I still miss the very popular Splash Bar & Stella’s. Now I go to Hardware in the evening time slot. Have become friendly with the bartender & met some very nice patrons. A few drinks & most people become talkative. Yes, my friend & I are probably among the oldest there but I’ve never felt invisible or uncomfortable. Next time you’re in NYC let me know & will go for a drink.

@Hoover42. NYC has so many gay bars. I still miss the very popular Splash Bar & Stella’s. Now I go to Hardware in the evening time slot. Have become friendly with the bartender & met some very nice patrons. A few drinks & most people become talkative. Yes, my friend & I are probably among the oldest there but I’ve never felt invisible or uncomfortable. Next time you’re in NYC let me know & will go for a drink.

I am in NYC, and the only attraction gay bars had for me was the go-go boys... In my younger days it was easy to pickup guys in bars, NOT today I assume, withal the social media hooking up? And a 68 year old man perched on a barstool oogling and hoping for a younger connection is not a good look IMO.... Much easier to go to a sex club, where everyone is focused on one and the same thing... Hit it & Quit it !

Eons ago there was a bar on East 53rd Street at First Avenue in NYC named The GH Club. It catered to seniors and was a lot of fun. I was counting on that bar being there for my present age, but it closed quite a while ago. To the best of my knowledge there is presently no comparable bar in NYC. I occasionally drop by the Town House to visit with acquaintances, which comes as close to the GH Club that I am aware.

A gay bar can be a very lonely place for someone like me who has one drink and I’m through with alcohol. I wish there were more bars in DC with strippers. I miss the old days of Chesapeake House and the Lone Star. Good times

I have very fond memories of Chesapeake House. I was there the night before they closed. Even then, nobody present said anything about them closing. It seemed very sudden.

I used to love gay bars when I was young, especially the one's that had great music and provisions for dancing. For me those were the days during the 60's 70's 80s and early 90s. ...had some super-great times in San Francisco, Amsterdam, New York City, Brussels, and during my two year stay when I lived in Melbourne, Australia.

To date I don't go because gay bars, per se, are for the young. ...definitely don't want to feel out of place or encounter ageism!