Anybody still go to gay bars?

Hoover42
This topic is 1729 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Did you ever go to Shooters/Rascals next door to the Riggs bank at Dupont Circle?

The upstairs club had gogo boys, and I had the biggest crush on one guy who worked there. I went every weekend for a year just to drool over him. I still have a photo he gave me :)

Rascals was a blast!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be one of the rare ones. Not only do I go out but seek out wherever I go the gay bars. I like to be around people that I'm comfortable with, can be my non closeted self, and maybe find some hustlers. May be out dated but that's me. Was recently in Provincetown and while I had fun the cruise scene and bar scene not the same. So, as long as I'm still breathing air I'll be looking for the gay bars.

Did you ever go to Shooters/Rascals next door to the Riggs bank at Dupont Circle?

The upstairs club had gogo boys, and I had the biggest crush on one guy who worked there. I went every weekend for a year just to drool over him. I still have a photo he gave me :)

Never went to Shooters/Rascals. Sometimes used to go to SE to La Cage & Secrets. Would also go into The Glorious Health & Amusement (aka The Glory Hole)

LaffingBear's comment about Twin Peaks caused a chuckle. It also points out that older gays do enjoy meeting, even if just occasionally, in a bar. In the nineties there was bar in Boston called Napoleon's. It was small and quirky with pictures and busts of Napoleon. It featured a piano bar and an older crowd. Now that I am the demographic of their patrons I wish it was still there.

Maybe there is niche for a market presently overlooked.

I knew of the Napoleon Club when I came to Boston for college in the early 80's. I didn't go because I was told it was an older crowd and I felt I might not fit in, even though I would have been much more at home in a piano bar club than in the dance clubs, which have never been my thing. But, I did do the dance clubs at times because they were there, lol. Buddies and The 1270 were the big Boston clubs back then. I also remember when a club called Campus opened in Cambridge.

I tend to think that Club Cafe is the new Napoleon's lol - though it isn't really an exclusively "gay" club at all anymore. But they do have a piano bar. A friend of mine used to play and sing there a lot, until he moved to Florida a few years ago. The food in the restaurant section used to be way overpriced - I haven't eaten there in a while so I don't know how it is now. I also remember when they first opened their back room (no, not THAT kind of back room lol) and named it "Club Cabaret," as at the time the cabaret scene in Boston was quite the thing.

I haven't been to a true gay bar (dance club or otherwise) in years. To be honest, I wasn't ever truly comfortable with that scene to begin with - but in my youth, that's what everyone did...

at the Boom in Laguna Beach

oh wow! the Boom Boom Room at Laguna Beach! I haven't thought about that in years! I fondly remember going there in the early 2000s; met some nice guys there too; and there was a gay-run restaurant there--Woody's--that was a delightful place; thanks for mentioning this, @Pensant!

When I came out I frequented gay bars because that’s really the only opportunity you have to be around other gay men, people “like you”....but I never felt the people in gay bars were reflective of who I was so I’ve never really enjoyed gay bars and ultimately stopped going years ago. It’s just not “on brand” for me.

When I came out I frequented gay bars because that’s really the only opportunity you have to be around other gay men, people “like you”....but I never felt the people in gay bars were reflective of who I was so I’ve never really enjoyed gay bars and ultimately stopped going years ago. It’s just not “on brand” for me.

This exactly.

One reason I like Fort Lauderdale is that it still has a lively bar scene. It may have to do with the higher average age, gays for whom the bars were places we could relax and meet. The high cost of space in urban areas and the the rise of apps like grindr & scruff have changed Boston & Providence.

I agree about Fort Lauderdale. It has a very active and lively bar scene. I rather enjoy it, especially now that I'm older, the pressure and desire to hookup is gone, so I enjoy meeting friends out. Wilton Manors has definitely gotten better. ;)

I try to go every Sunday. They barbecue hamburgers and hot dogs on Sunday afternoon. Last Sunday they also had barbecued chicken.

Sunday Funday is still big at the gay bars in Los Angeles too. The narrative is gay bars are dying, but L.A. still has a thriving bar scene. Three new ones -- Rocco's, Beaches, and Hi Tops -- recently opened in West Hollywood and are busy. On Fri-Sat nights, WeHo tends to be overrun by straights, very young 21-25 year old gaybys, and tourists. Sunday post-brunch is when most gay locals hit the bars. If you're visiting for the weekend and leave Sunday morning or afternoon, you'll miss the fun.

Also, gays in bigger cities have relocated to speciality parties on a lot of weekends, either the festivals/circuits/prides that now run year round worldwide, or local alternative parties/events, which arose to provide exclusively-gay spaces now that our bars have gone mainstream. For example, in WeHo on Thursdays and Fridays, the main bars most guys go are in less trafficked areas of WeHo a visitor wouldn't frequent, away from the mainstream gay bars.

And on 2-3 Saturdays a month, there are gay parties at queer underground parties at theaters and warehouses in other parts of town -- Silver Lake, Downtown, near LAX etc. This is true in a lot of bigger cities, and some smaller ones (e.g. Salt Lake City has a lively once-a-month gay warehouse party/rave). Wherever you are, if looking to meet guys in person, check the local gay events calendar not just the gay bars.

Gays visiting L.A. often head straight to The Abbey and its sisters and end up disappointed finding only newbie twinks or straight girls and their boyfriends. I've had visiting friends express disappointment in the main Santa Monica Blvd bars, and I tell them, "Mickys was a straight bar this Friday because all the gays were [in Chicago for yyy circuit party/out in the desert for zzz festival/were at aaa gay event on La Cienega/were at 456 underground party Downtown]. You should have asked around. Or hung around till Sunday late afternoon."

Edited by Aaron_Bauder

The Eagle and The Round-Up in Dallas are the main places I used to go. In the past I knew a few people and going there was fun. Most of the people I've known have since moved away.

I've been to the Eagle a few times over the year and a half that I've been back. But it's over 20 miles away from where I live. Driving there, knowing no one, and no one being interested makes for a very long trip. So I don't go very often.

I once met a guy online (Scruff as I recall)-this was about 7 years ago. We 'talked' and decided to meet up at the Round-Up. We met, liked each other immediately, and snogged for about 30 minutes. This guy was really handsome-way above my pay grade. The bartender said we were cute together. In addition it was karaoke night in the front bar of the Round-Up. This guy had-I'm sure still has-an incredible voice.

We had a few more dates. Unfortunately things didn't work out. I haven't had a lot of dates in my life. This is still one of the better memories of my life. I just wish things had lasted longer.

Gman

A momentary break in the subject at hand.

@GregM, you look adorable with the scruff in your current icon picture.

And we now return you to the original subject of this thread already in progress.

Gman

That was taken after getting back to the US from Mexico over Thanksgiving. It's gone now. I'll grow it back starting oct.

Hugs,

Greg

As a long time East Village NYC denizen, my nascent gay years were at Dick’s and The Cock. Amazingly The Cock remains in its third raunchy rendition on 2nd Ave. Now in my more advanced years, still enjoy a pint at Nowhere, The Boiler Room or Phoenix. All have a local neighborhood vibe though the latter two can often have a lot of women and their “I’m comfortable with my manhood” str8 paramours. I do sometimes miss the gogo boys on the bar at Urge. Sadly Urge was replaced by Unleashed... a doggie daycare center, now defunct.

Edited by EVdude

Still there. In a harsher time, bars catering to an older crowd were known as "wrinkle bars." SF once had its share of wrinkle bars-the Twin Peaks, the New Bell Saloon, the PS, the Rocking Horse, the Lion Pub.

I always wondered how one knew that it was time for him to start frequenting the Twin Peaks. I'm certainly of that age but I've never been in the place. If I were ever going to go in a bar it would probably be the Eagle.

A while back a friend was in town and suggested we have a drink at the Twin Peaks. And at that point I acknowledged I'm in the demographic for that bar! We had a great time, and I really liked the bar. Very comfortable seating, great view and friendly crowd.

And Lion Pub, that brings back memories... very first gay bar I ever went to. Very much of another era!

A while back a friend was in town and suggested we have a drink at the Twin Peaks. And at that point I acknowledged I'm in the demographic for that bar! We had a great time, and I really liked the bar. Very comfortable seating, great view and friendly crowd.

And Lion Pub, that brings back memories... very first gay bar I ever went to. Very much of another era!

I was just only there a few times. First time was in 1975 I think