What have you been called?

purplekow
This topic is 1759 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This morning,, I was thinking of my late wife, as I do just about each day, even 19 years after her passing. I smiled recalling a dinner we attended at a friend's home. This friend had three precocious children and dinner at their home was usually a throwback to a more genteel time. There was a sumptuous home cooked meal and then coffee and dessert in the living room. The children would entertain for awhile and then would be instructed to go off to bed, which they did without a fuss and always with a polite "Good evening"

At one such dinner, as the children were saying their goodbyes, the youngest child, a girl of five or six turned to her mother after looking at my wife and said: "Mom, isn't she elegant." My hostess said: Why yes she is" and wished her daughter pleasant dreams. My wife beamed and gave the child a long deep hug.

On the ride home, my wife asked me if I thought she wa elegant. Truth be told, prior to this I had thought of my wife as having many wonderful qualities, but elegance was not one that came right to the fore, at least until then. Since it was said, and every day since, elegance is exactly the word that comes to mind when I picture my wife. I do not know how I did not see it and it took a six year old to point it out, but I am grateful that she did.

After that, given the chance, I would always tell my wife she was elegant. She would always blush, laugh a shy laught and say something to the effect of: "Oh you" or "stop it". I do not think she ever tired of hearing it.

I expect this group to reply with a bunch of answers of sexy, insatiable and satisfying, but what quality have you been told you have that each day, you would love to be told?

I have been told I am resourceful and resilient, both of those qualities I admire in others and take pride in having others see in me.

I expect this group to reply with a bunch of answers of sexy, insatiable and satisfying, but what quality have you been told you have that each day, you would love to be told?

Great question! Words can be a great motivator. For good or bad.

Some idiot once called me a sodomite. I called him an ambulance.

(Not my finest moment.)

qckcp.jpg

Edited by KeepItReal

This morning,, I was thinking of my late wife, as I do just about each day, even 19 years after her passing. I smiled recalling a dinner we attended at a friend's home. This friend had three precocious children and dinner at their home was usually a throwback to a more genteel time. There was a sumptuous home cooked meal and then coffee and dessert in the living room. The children would entertain for awhile and then would be instructed to go off to bed, which they did without a fuss and always with a polite "Good evening"

At one such dinner, as the children were saying their goodbyes, the youngest child, a girl of five or six turned to her mother after looking at my wife and said: "Mom, isn't she elegant." My hostess said: Why yes she is" and wished her daughter pleasant dreams. My wife beamed and gave the child a long deep hug.

On the ride home, my wife asked me if I thought she wa elegant. Truth be told, prior to this I had thought of my wife as having many wonderful qualities, but elegance was not one that came right to the fore, at least until then. Since it was said, and every day since, elegance is exactly the word that comes to mind when I picture my wife. I do not know how I did not see it and it took a six year old to point it out, but I am grateful that she did.

After that, given the chance, I would always tell my wife she was elegant. She would always blush, laugh a shy laught and say something to the effect of: "Oh you" or "stop it". I do not think she ever tired of hearing it.

I have been told I am resourceful and resilient, both of those qualities I admire in others and take pride in having others see in me.

I was never good at receiving compliments, although I find myself now working to acknowledge them and saying thank you. People like to have their kindnesses acknowledged apparently … duh. My compliments tend toward intelligent and kind - it's the plane I operate on.

Europeans used to call me exotic. Even though, as far as I know, my ancestry is 100% northern European, I look like I might be bi-racial. Asians think I'm part Asian, blacks think I'm part black, and so on. So European men would tell me I had an exotic look.

I've been called a beast LOL

This happened when I was just finishing high school. Anyway, our neighbors across the street sometimes left their kids with us to watch while my folks and theirs went out. Their kids are over all the freaking time. They come over and eat all the food then leave. Little bastards. Well one day I stopped the little one from getting to the food by shutting the fridge door on her. She tried to open it but I shut it again. She finally got tired and walked away. As she did, she turned and called me a beast. In my mind I thought "Yes keep walking" LOL

Someone at work, listening to me explain a technical topic to a non-technical person, complimented me afterwards on how well I did that. I was flattered, because that's something I really work hard at. I just wish I'd had more respect for the person doing the complimenting :)

While it is true that a complement is only as meaningful as the person who gives it, any good word is still a welcome word in these days of hustle and bustle.

Someone at work, listening to me explain a technical topic to a non-technical person, complimented me afterwards on how well I did that. I was flattered, because that's something I really work hard at. I just wish I'd had more respect for the person doing the complimenting :)

Have you ever had the call of teaching? Sounds like you would do a good job

Have you ever had the call of teaching? Sounds like you would do a good job

I considered becoming a technical trainer at a job about 10 years ago, but after dedicating a night in a bar to mulling it over, decided I didn't see myself that way, at least not as my primary job.