Do You Give To Panhandlers?

Avalon
This topic is 2383 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I don't. When asked I tell the person the address of the welfare department and local Catholic church.

When I was a teenager I once worked in a donut shop. I had the night shift after school. So a guy comes in saying he has no money and asks if he could have a free cup of coffee. I gave him a large cup of coffee plus a maple bar. Later when go to clean the tables I find the coffee cup almost full and the maple bar stuffed in it with only a bite taken.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to work with guys who were suffering from addiction. Recent true story. I was pulling in to the drive-in window of a fast food place when a former client came rushing up to my car window:

Him: Could you please give me a couple of dollars?

Me: Tim (not his real name), what do you need the money for?

Him: I'm hungry. I haven't eaten in a while.

(I pull out my wallet and Tim sees that I have quite a few dollars)

Him: Could I have five dollars?

Me: I tell you what, Tim. I will pull my car over and park and we will both go in and I will buy you whatever food you want. No limit. Or, I will just give you a dollar.

Him: I'll take the dollar.

I gave him a dollar.

With about three exceptions in the last 30 years, no.

I did, however, give two bags of groceries that were intended for the food pantry to a guy who was asking for money to feed his family. He thanked me profusely. A couple of weeks later I saw him holding the same sign at the same intersection. He recognized me and thanked me again.

Sometimes - it’s depends on the circumstance.

But it seems a little odd if I have two metaphorical apples in my hand and someone else has none for me to not give him one.

And that's why you are loved! I always give money to musicians on the street and as far as others, it just depends on how I feel. On my previous trip to DC, a presumably homeless woman helped me to figure out the Metro card machine, then asked if I could spare a dollar, the smallest bill I had was a $20, so I gave it to her. I especially find that if I'm traveling and doing well financially, than I want to share that blessing with others.

Yes, I do give sometimes. The last one was lying on a stairway in a subway station, sobbing, with half his face bandaged. His sign said, "Kicked in the face while sleeping on the subway." I walked past and then backtracked to give him a dollar. If he buys drugs, I hope they make him feel better.

On a recent American Airlines flight from Barcelona to JFK, the flight attendants were panhandling! I guess American (and others?) has a campaign now to take donations of any country's currency. Good way to get rid of leftover Euro coins.

Otherwise, I dropped a few coins in the various cans/hats of needy-appearing street people/entertainers while in Barcelona and while on another recent trip in SE Asia. Thought it might bring me good Karma while a visitor in their land.

In the US? Almost never.

I don't. When asked I tell the person the address of the welfare department and local Catholic church.

When I was a teenager I once worked in a donut shop. I had the night shift after school. So a guy comes in saying he has no money and asks if he could have a free cup of coffee. I gave him a large cup of coffee plus a maple bar. Later when go to clean the tables I find the coffee cup almost full and the maple bar stuffed in it with only a bite taken.

What decision did you come to as a result of that experience?